GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Could some of you please test a web page for me ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/11/03 at 01:30
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
http://www.chrisjhaig.co.uk/testing.htm

After a little playing about with this box model business and downloading more versions of Internet Explorer, I've come up with the above link.

It doesn't look any different to the original design (as bad as that is) but I would just like any feeback as to the positioning of the content.

Before I was using absolute positioning which looked fine in Internet Explorer 6, but in the likes of Netscape, Opera, Mozilla I'd see text overlapping link boxes and such.

Anyway, if anyone has the time and willingness, could you please go to the above link and let me know of any miss-placings of content, as well as letting me know which browser and Operating System you're using.

I've also noted that I am cutting it really fine on an 800 x 600 res, in that if my browser was not at full screen, the page collapses.

Would anybody consider this a problem??
Do many people still browse with only half the screen filled with the browser??

Any feedback on bad placements would be appreceated.

Thanks.
Wed 26/11/03 at 01:30
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
http://www.chrisjhaig.co.uk/testing.htm

After a little playing about with this box model business and downloading more versions of Internet Explorer, I've come up with the above link.

It doesn't look any different to the original design (as bad as that is) but I would just like any feeback as to the positioning of the content.

Before I was using absolute positioning which looked fine in Internet Explorer 6, but in the likes of Netscape, Opera, Mozilla I'd see text overlapping link boxes and such.

Anyway, if anyone has the time and willingness, could you please go to the above link and let me know of any miss-placings of content, as well as letting me know which browser and Operating System you're using.

I've also noted that I am cutting it really fine on an 800 x 600 res, in that if my browser was not at full screen, the page collapses.

Would anybody consider this a problem??
Do many people still browse with only half the screen filled with the browser??

Any feedback on bad placements would be appreceated.

Thanks.
Wed 26/11/03 at 09:33
Regular
I tried it with IE6, on Win 200 Pro (my work PC) at a resolution of 1024x768. Everything was laid out fine - no overlapping or anything.

Is it just the layout we can comment on? Because personally I think that site would look a whole lot better with a new colour scheme.

Good site BTW, I need to make my own one of these days...
Wed 26/11/03 at 11:06
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Looks fine on Safari under Mac OS X ...
Sun 07/12/03 at 20:04
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanks you two for checking it for me.

ßulle††™ wrote:
> Is it just the layout we can comment on?

You're more than welcome to comment on any aspect of it, although that is the only page that exists at the moment.

The actual site is online at http://www.gta-vice-city.co.uk but hasn't been coded accurately, meaning it works on Win XP/IE6 ok, but any other browser and you may find it overlapping, etc, which is why I'm testing out some code before re-uploading it.

In all honesty this was never going to be a web site, just a sample for me to try out CSS, but I decided to make a go of it in the end and have had good feedback on it so far ... well, the content, not the design :)

So like I said, you're welcome to comment on it, good/bad points or whatever, but the chances of a re-design are slim because it isn't a site that will be updated with new information. People go to it to find help/tips for the game, and probably won't be back using it when the next one comes out. From what I've been told the people who've used it up to now how found it easy to get to the details they needed, so I'm happy with the basic structure of it.

I'm still using it as a CSS testing base though, and right now I'm looking into this accessibility stuff.

I may make one for the next game though, which I’ll put more effort in to :)
Sun 07/12/03 at 21:06
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Mozilla 1.5 Fine
IE6 fine
Problems in IE 5.5, this'll be the box model hack and IE5.5's inability to add up correctly!

The markup is excellent, as ofr the CSS. have a read of this report on it:
http://dev.digital-prozac.co.uk/docs/CJH.html
Sun 07/12/03 at 21:22
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanks for the report.

That's certainly a handy little bit of software you've got there, and I'll try and clean up those errors soon enough.

But in IE 5.5, what problems did you encounter??

I've downloaded 5.0 and 5.5 (as mentioned a few posts back by you) and thought I'd used the right width and heights for them with the box-model hack stuff. The page looks the same in all three versions for me.
Sun 07/12/03 at 21:23
Everyone's website looks absolutely tiny in 1600x1200.
Sun 07/12/03 at 22:15
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
>
> But in IE 5.5, what problems did you encounter??
>

Was IE5 on NT4! oops!
Wed 10/12/03 at 17:16
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tyla wrote:
> Was IE5 on NT4! oops!

Oh no, more problems then ...

Was it just that the links/main content boxes were a little small/big, or were the problems a little bigger?

Thanks.
Thu 11/12/03 at 16:13
Regular
"the burning sky"
Works fine on 800x600...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.