GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Video Violence"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/03/01 at 19:20
Regular
I know this is a well-worn path to walk down, but I think it is especially relevant to the current state of affairs.

'Do video games promote violence?'

It seems that every week we hear about some kind of shootings in American schools, but is it brought on by the little grey box and its relatives? Personally, I think 'no'. Video games are a way to vent anger through a harmless channel. Say you had a bad day at work. You come home, slap Goldeneye or Timesplitters into your games console and start fragging the living daylights out of those poor pixelated people. When you have finished, you do actually feel alot better.

However, I have found that video games have had a bad effect on some people. Going back into the mists of time, I used to have an Atari ST. Not one of the games I had were graphically violent and any violence at all was pretty lame by todays standards. But when Doom came out, I marvelled at the graphical excellence and persuaded myself that I needed a PC. So I bought a PC and, of course, Doom. That moment changed my life forever. At first, I thought the violence was a bit too much, but as time went by I began to get used to it. Suddenly, this game was no more than a childs picture book. I was becoming ammune to gore!

Today, video games are becoming more and more realistic (such as Soldier of Fortune). But with this realism, do we also get violent urges? I don't know...

teapot
Wed 14/03/01 at 19:29
if we dont now then we will in 5 years time.
Wed 14/03/01 at 19:23
Regular
"You've upset me"
To steal unregrettably from the Simpsons "Long answer yes if... short answer: No but...
Wed 14/03/01 at 19:20
I know this is a well-worn path to walk down, but I think it is especially relevant to the current state of affairs.

'Do video games promote violence?'

It seems that every week we hear about some kind of shootings in American schools, but is it brought on by the little grey box and its relatives? Personally, I think 'no'. Video games are a way to vent anger through a harmless channel. Say you had a bad day at work. You come home, slap Goldeneye or Timesplitters into your games console and start fragging the living daylights out of those poor pixelated people. When you have finished, you do actually feel alot better.

However, I have found that video games have had a bad effect on some people. Going back into the mists of time, I used to have an Atari ST. Not one of the games I had were graphically violent and any violence at all was pretty lame by todays standards. But when Doom came out, I marvelled at the graphical excellence and persuaded myself that I needed a PC. So I bought a PC and, of course, Doom. That moment changed my life forever. At first, I thought the violence was a bit too much, but as time went by I began to get used to it. Suddenly, this game was no more than a childs picture book. I was becoming ammune to gore!

Today, video games are becoming more and more realistic (such as Soldier of Fortune). But with this realism, do we also get violent urges? I don't know...

teapot

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.