GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Realism (again?)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/03/01 at 12:59
Regular
I don't know, as games get more realistic in terms of their appearance, the more I lean towards those based in complete fantasy.

When I comes to racers I give F1 sims and rally games a wide berth, and head straight for the cartoon racers.

I don't know in some aspects I like realism, especially in the physics of the game. It makes it much easier to understand the limitations of te character that you are playing.

But playing in the real world? Not really that interested! Give me a world of talking animals and gun totting squirrels over one set in the real world.

I don't know, I guess that when I started gaming it just wasn't possible to create realistic looking 3D gaming arenas, so they didn't even try, everything was complete fantasy. But now, games look rather real, and when set in a world like our own, it seems rather odd.

I really have to be in the right mood to play a game that's more realistic, but I can pick up a game set in a world of walking skeletons, and dancing apes just like that.

I also know other people that are completely the opposite, they just can't get into these games that they can't believe.

Any thoughts?
Wed 14/03/01 at 12:59
Regular
"not dead"
I don't know, as games get more realistic in terms of their appearance, the more I lean towards those based in complete fantasy.

When I comes to racers I give F1 sims and rally games a wide berth, and head straight for the cartoon racers.

I don't know in some aspects I like realism, especially in the physics of the game. It makes it much easier to understand the limitations of te character that you are playing.

But playing in the real world? Not really that interested! Give me a world of talking animals and gun totting squirrels over one set in the real world.

I don't know, I guess that when I started gaming it just wasn't possible to create realistic looking 3D gaming arenas, so they didn't even try, everything was complete fantasy. But now, games look rather real, and when set in a world like our own, it seems rather odd.

I really have to be in the right mood to play a game that's more realistic, but I can pick up a game set in a world of walking skeletons, and dancing apes just like that.

I also know other people that are completely the opposite, they just can't get into these games that they can't believe.

Any thoughts?
Wed 14/03/01 at 13:15
Regular
I agree with you to an extent Meka, it is easier to believe, or maybe absorbed is the right word, into a world of fantasy/sci fi. Just look at films and books, people like something different than the normal world so that they can escape from the everyday chores of life. Even before TV there were Sci fi stories being broadcast over the wireless.

But i have to say that with driving games i do prefer realistic ones. Maybe it because im a fan of F1 but i would much rather play a realistic F1 game than a cartoony style one. Thats not to say i cant appriciate those types of games. I like to play a bit of mariokart as much as the next man.

With FPS im not quite so sure. My favourite games in that genre at the moment are UT and Project IGI, possibly two games as far away from each other as it is possible to be, but i enjoy them both.

I'm not a huge lover of RPG's even though they are set in a fantasy setting and I enjoy reading fantasy/sci fi books and watching that type of films. Maybe its because i've always found them so difficult to get into. Also just becuase they are done in a fantasy setting doesnt mean that they have to be geeky and with a high beard factor like most of them seem to be.

Anyone got any suggestions of any games that could help ease me into RPG's?
Wed 14/03/01 at 18:01
Regular
Diablo 2 was my first real RPG... try that, and then the Baldurs Gate series... I think...

I suppose games set in a fantasy are easier to get into because we play games for that reason! To escape real life, and get involved in a world of our own.

Playing a game that represents real life may seem a little less hard-core, because it doesn't feel like we are actually escaping, but just playing a game.

Or is it just me? :D
Wed 14/03/01 at 18:03
Regular
Diablo 2 was my first real RPG... try that, and then the Baldurs Gate series... I think...

I suppose games set in a fantasy are easier to get into because we play games for that reason! To escape real life, and get involved in a world of our own.

Playing a game that represents real life may seem a little less hard-core, because it doesn't feel like we are actually escaping, but just playing a game set in real life... in real life.

Or is it just me? :D
Wed 14/03/01 at 18:03
Regular
Ah crap.
Wed 14/03/01 at 18:13
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Realism, to me, all adds to the gameplay. I like realistic games like The Sims. But I also like games like Banjo-Tooie which are complete fantasy. When you are into a game I don't think that you notice the realism. First impressions are always a VERY big factor in the rating of a game...and, then and there you notice the realism, and then for the rest of the game, you don't tend to marvel at it until the end, or when writing a review. No doubt there are bits where you will drop your jaw or let go of the control pad, but gameplay will always out number graphics by 100/1.

Wed 14/03/01 at 20:40
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I enjoy FPS environments that are realisitc...

e.g. real-world physics, sounds, graphics, etc...

However I want the gameplay to be over the top?!?!?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.