GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My stupid CSS problems thread..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/11/03 at 18:50
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
http://www.phi11ip.com/redesign

It's similar to what I've got now but it's all done with CSS, which is good, but is bad...

I'll start with a little problem, how do I get that bar at the bottom to be at the bottom of the page, not just the window. It's got to be something with placing it in respect to the bottom of the main window but I'm not sure how to do it...

I also tried to put the box underneath the menu but when you make the text bigger the menu spaces out more meaning the bottom two bits dissappear behind the window! How can I get it to move when the bottom of that menu moves too?

I' still working and playing about with it but that's the main problem that I've got. I'll probably sort the others myself.

Sorry if you don't understand, I'm in a rush, I'll explain better tomorrow if I have to...
Mon 24/11/03 at 18:50
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
http://www.phi11ip.com/redesign

It's similar to what I've got now but it's all done with CSS, which is good, but is bad...

I'll start with a little problem, how do I get that bar at the bottom to be at the bottom of the page, not just the window. It's got to be something with placing it in respect to the bottom of the main window but I'm not sure how to do it...

I also tried to put the box underneath the menu but when you make the text bigger the menu spaces out more meaning the bottom two bits dissappear behind the window! How can I get it to move when the bottom of that menu moves too?

I' still working and playing about with it but that's the main problem that I've got. I'll probably sort the others myself.

Sorry if you don't understand, I'm in a rush, I'll explain better tomorrow if I have to...
Mon 24/11/03 at 19:04
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
phi11ip wrote:
> http://www.phi11ip.com/redesign
>
> It's similar to what I've got now but it's all done with CSS, which
> is good, but is bad...
>
> I'll start with a little problem, how do I get that bar at the bottom
> to be at the bottom of the page, not just the window. It's got to be
> something with placing it in respect to the bottom of the main window
> but I'm not sure how to do it...

This one is difficult as its quirky on browsers. you first have to define the total page height:

html,body {height:100%;}

The your bottom div should align bottom ok: i.e.

#bottom {
position:bottom;
bottom: 0px;
}

Like I said, it's quirky and has some rather bizare results in some browsers. Have a lfick through ALA (www.alistapart.com)

> I also tried to put the box underneath the menu but when you make the
> text bigger the menu spaces out more meaning the bottom two bits
> dissappear behind the window! How can I get it to move when the
> bottom of that menu moves too?

Some of this can be resolved using z-index and relative placement. otherwise youll have to fix your font sizes. Bit vaugue, need more information. If I get a chance, I'll have a look at the CSS file later tonight.
Tue 25/11/03 at 13:37
Regular
"You've upset me"
Two purely aesthetic things:
The font colour of your navbox's when you hover them doesn't stand out against the background at all, and the logo is too wide for the page.

I like the colour scheme :-)
Tue 25/11/03 at 19:40
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Would it not be simply a case of using a 'relative' position for the bottom segment, and not an 'absolute' one???
Tue 25/11/03 at 19:42
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> Would it not be simply a case of using a 'relative' position for the
> bottom segment, and not an 'absolute' one???

Again it needs something to be relatve to hence:

html body {height:100%;)

Getting an element to align to bottom without any problems is actually quite a pain, almost as painfull as trying to center thing both horizontally and vertically!
Tue 25/11/03 at 19:46
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I guess I'm confused about the situation.

If the segment is written into the code at the bottom of the html file, then it would be the last part of the web page, and so naturally be at the bottom??

What am I missing here??

Does phi11ip want something which I haven't noted correctly??
Tue 25/11/03 at 19:50
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> I guess I'm confused about the situation.
>
> If the segment is written into the code at the bottom of the html
> file, then it would be the last part of the web page, and so
> naturally be at the bottom??

Ignore me, but I thought he wanted it to align to the bottom of the browser window not the page. Though your right, he should be using relative positioning. As for where ot appears in the HTML, this is irrelevant as its the CSS on the DIV which controls where it appears, thats the idea of CSS, you can structure the mark up however you like so he could put his footer content in line one of the HTML but have the CSS tell it to display it at the bottom! (That didn't make sense did it?)
Tue 25/11/03 at 19:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tyla wrote:
> Ignore me, but I thought he wanted it to align to the bottom of the
> browser window not the page.

You mean like a frame would, so the content of the main area would scroll behind it??

BTW, have you ever tried 'Multiple Internet Explorer on the same machine'?? If you have, does it do anything nasty to your computer??

I found this, and read a few other things about it, but am still a little uneasy as to its credibility.

http://www.insert-title.com/ web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_ie
Tue 25/11/03 at 19:58
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
BTW, have you ever tried 'Multiple Internet Explorer on the same
> machine'?? If you have, does it do anything nasty to your computer??
>
> I found this, and read a few other things about it, but am still a
> little uneasy as to its credibility.
>
> http://www.insert-title.com/ web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_ie

Have a look at: http://www.skyzyx.com/archives/000094.php this is the one to use and the version I am using now. Very simple to set up, doesn't affect your machine in anyway and to be honest, it rocks! Running this system at work
Tue 25/11/03 at 19:59
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Nice one, thanks.

Here you go phi11ip, have your thread back :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.