GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Family Guy' may return says Fox after huge demand for DVDs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/11/03 at 04:57
Regular
'Family Guy' may return
(By Gary Levin, Taken from USA TODAY.com)

[Family Guy could return with as many as 35 new episodes for January 2005]

In a sign of the growing importance of DVD sales to Hollywood, 20th Century Fox is considering a plan to resume production of Family Guy, a sometimes crude animated comedy that the Fox network took off the air more than 18 months ago.

As many as 35 new episodes could return in January 2005, marking the first time that a canceled series has been revived based on strong DVD demand and ratings in syndication.

Fox Television Entertainment Group chairman Sandy Grushow said a decision is expected soon and called the series a late-blooming phenomenon that may have aired before its time.

A DVD set of the show's first 28 episodes released in April has sold nearly 1 million copies, making it this year's top-selling TV show and the No. 4 television title ever, according to Video Store magazine. A second collection, of 22 episodes, has sold 520,000 copies. And the series is Cartoon Network's most popular among adults.

Family Guy premiered with a big audience — 22 million viewers — and some their favourite shows. These shows were then canceled because of falling ratings (which both creators controversy after Fox's 1999 Super Bowl telecast. In the pilot episode, Stewie, a talking toddler with a clipped British accent, was openly contemptuous of his loutish dad and bent on killing his sweet-natured mother in a quest for world domination.

Creator Seth MacFarlane, then 24, wrote scripts, drew characters, provided voices and infused the show with rapid-fire sight gags, a nod to The Simpsons. But ratings faded, and the show ended with a whimper early last year.

The relatively short network run may have helped DVD sales, Video Store's Judith McCourt says. "It really speaks to something that had a following, was cut off network TV, and people said, 'What did I miss?' "

DVD and cable viewers have "created kind of a groundswell that could lead to better ratings" on Fox, Grushow says, although new episodes could end up going directly to Cartoon Network.

A decision to restart the show suggests a reversal from the old TV business model, in which a network hit predicts a profit windfall in syndication. This time, the promise of DVD and syndication gold could justify a show's return even if low network ratings didn't.

But canceled favorites aren't likely to rise from the grave en masse. Family Guy has one major advantage: With no actors and no sets, it can simply be drawn back into existence.

-- End

I think the Super Bowl was when they messed around with the showing times (and days) of both Family Guy and Futurama which left many fans confused as to when they could catch their favourite shows, something that both creators have mentioned. So both shows were cancelled and with both saying the only way the shows could make a revival would be for good DVD sales. Luckily Family Guy DVDs have been selling extremely well so hopefully Fox will learn their lesson and bring the show back.
Sat 22/11/03 at 04:57
Regular
'Family Guy' may return
(By Gary Levin, Taken from USA TODAY.com)

[Family Guy could return with as many as 35 new episodes for January 2005]

In a sign of the growing importance of DVD sales to Hollywood, 20th Century Fox is considering a plan to resume production of Family Guy, a sometimes crude animated comedy that the Fox network took off the air more than 18 months ago.

As many as 35 new episodes could return in January 2005, marking the first time that a canceled series has been revived based on strong DVD demand and ratings in syndication.

Fox Television Entertainment Group chairman Sandy Grushow said a decision is expected soon and called the series a late-blooming phenomenon that may have aired before its time.

A DVD set of the show's first 28 episodes released in April has sold nearly 1 million copies, making it this year's top-selling TV show and the No. 4 television title ever, according to Video Store magazine. A second collection, of 22 episodes, has sold 520,000 copies. And the series is Cartoon Network's most popular among adults.

Family Guy premiered with a big audience — 22 million viewers — and some their favourite shows. These shows were then canceled because of falling ratings (which both creators controversy after Fox's 1999 Super Bowl telecast. In the pilot episode, Stewie, a talking toddler with a clipped British accent, was openly contemptuous of his loutish dad and bent on killing his sweet-natured mother in a quest for world domination.

Creator Seth MacFarlane, then 24, wrote scripts, drew characters, provided voices and infused the show with rapid-fire sight gags, a nod to The Simpsons. But ratings faded, and the show ended with a whimper early last year.

The relatively short network run may have helped DVD sales, Video Store's Judith McCourt says. "It really speaks to something that had a following, was cut off network TV, and people said, 'What did I miss?' "

DVD and cable viewers have "created kind of a groundswell that could lead to better ratings" on Fox, Grushow says, although new episodes could end up going directly to Cartoon Network.

A decision to restart the show suggests a reversal from the old TV business model, in which a network hit predicts a profit windfall in syndication. This time, the promise of DVD and syndication gold could justify a show's return even if low network ratings didn't.

But canceled favorites aren't likely to rise from the grave en masse. Family Guy has one major advantage: With no actors and no sets, it can simply be drawn back into existence.

-- End

I think the Super Bowl was when they messed around with the showing times (and days) of both Family Guy and Futurama which left many fans confused as to when they could catch their favourite shows, something that both creators have mentioned. So both shows were cancelled and with both saying the only way the shows could make a revival would be for good DVD sales. Luckily Family Guy DVDs have been selling extremely well so hopefully Fox will learn their lesson and bring the show back.
Sat 22/11/03 at 11:52
Regular
"SOUP!"
I don't have sky or anything so I never knew it wasn't been made any more, I have all the series' on dvd though and hope they continue to make them because they are, quite frankly, brilliant.
Sat 22/11/03 at 12:11
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
I loved bothe Family Guy and Futurama and if they bring either back I will do an Irish Jig on top of my house (despite the fact I'm not Irish). Family Guy was THE BEST and I really want to get a boxset or two. Only about £20> at Virgin and HMV :D
Sat 22/11/03 at 12:12
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Kyz21 wrote:
> I don't have sky or anything so I never knew it wasn't been made any
> more, I have all the series' on dvd though and hope they continue to
> make them because they are, quite frankly, brilliant.

Got cancelled after the third season. If it is indeed coming back, SWEEEETTTTTTTTT! :) :) :)
Sat 22/11/03 at 13:01
Regular
Oh yes!

Family Guy was the freshest thing on tv as far as I'm concerned. Commme baaccck
Sat 22/11/03 at 13:46
Regular
"I'm Great."
They say all good things come to those that wait but we'll be waiting for a whole year and a bit. Can't complain much though. Good to see they're thinking of bringing it back either way.
Sat 22/11/03 at 15:51
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Shows how badly they treat the creators of these shows. Tell them they're not needed and cancel their programme then oh wait a minute they were making us money, come back and worlk again. No hard feelings.

If it returns (And I hope it does), I expect at least one joke at Fox's expense.
Sat 22/11/03 at 16:06
Regular
"SOUP!"
They always cancell the good things, yet I am sure they will spit out another politically correct series of the vomit-enducingly crap Will & Grace.

Remember a show called "God, the Devil and Bob" ? It was hilarious and made great tv but it was cancelled after 2, hear that, 2 complaints! My friends family are devout methodists and found the show hilarious and inoffensive but some religious fukwit went and spoilt the show for a talented writer and a generation of people who would have appreciated it for many more seasons to come.
Sat 22/11/03 at 16:08
Regular
"SOUP!"
CDouch wrote:

> If it returns (And I hope it does), I expect at least one joke at
> Fox's expense.

Fox take the pish out of themselves entensively as it is, however I cannot see the logic in cancelling a show of Family Guy's calibre, its BRILLIANT!
Sat 22/11/03 at 16:10
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
"Pope, it-sa time to get up!"

"Godddddd"

"Pooope"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.