GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"best pc strategy game and why"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/11/03 at 21:46
Regular
""to many dead hero""
please tell me what the best pc strategy game is and why as ive just had a new pc so i need some games for it and love strategy games
Thu 20/11/03 at 21:46
Regular
""to many dead hero""
please tell me what the best pc strategy game is and why as ive just had a new pc so i need some games for it and love strategy games
Fri 21/11/03 at 12:04
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
This is a review is sent into Ukreviews.com, (didn't win :(..)

Hope it makes you go and buy the game :p

Warcraft 3. Its reputation of being an amazing RTS has grown greatly since the 2nd in the series of Warcraft. So, nearly 5 years after Warcraft 2 was released, Blizzard developers finally released the 3rd in this amazing line after much anticipation. Then, within the following year, Frozen Throne, the new expansion pack to Warcraft 3, was released. So, what more has this Expansion pack to offer?

The game is based upon the world of Warcraft in which four races battle for dominance and survival. The races being Night Elf, Human, Undead and the Orcs, each race having their own strengths and weaknesses. But what Blizzard developers have managed to do differently with Warcraft, was create an extremely unique RPG element in the game. Each race has 4 unique heroes, as well as 5 other hireable ones, to lead their people into battle with brilliant spells and brand new offensive/defensive items, helping them attempt to gain the upper hand in battle. With each unit killed, these heroes gain experience, which, in turn, enables them to grow stronger. This twist makes Warcraft 3 into an RTS like no other. 'Creeps', units that preserve an equally hostile stance to all players, span the map, serving as a source of experience and items.

So, in this mix of RTS with a pinch of RPG, what differences have been made to units? Amazingly, Blizzard has added at least 4 new units to each race in the expansion. This has made Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne into a much more pre-battle strategic game. Units now have a quaint creative touch to them; you can tell blizzard has thoroughly thought through their additions to the game. These modifications include some ideas from Warcraft 2 for the classic player and add a refreshing and new experience to the beautifully expanded game. Controls are rather basic; use of the mouse and keyboard are magnificently coordinated, and almost everything within the game is accessible by hotkey.

After a match, players are given the option to save a replay or record of the game which they can later view, and see their mistakes in order to learn what they need to improve upon. Another common use is to see other people’s replays hosted on sites in order to get an understanding of what others do in different situations. In addition, Warcraft 3 Developers have added a great replay value to the game through the ‘Warcraft 3 World editor’. People are able to create their own maps and campaigns from an extremely, extendable world editor. This includes the use of simple programming, allowing the creator to make nearly anything they dream of, although I wouldn’t say it’s easy to use. Most expert map editors have a good deal of computer programming knowledge, in addition to a ton of creativity and patience, but there’s always enough maps made to keep you happy.

The expansion doesn't offer any graphical or audio improvement, but instead boasts greatly enhanced game play, and best of all, the extremely addictive multiplayer service, Battle.net. Blizzard has created it’s own unique multiplayer system entitled ‘Battle.net’. It is an extremely user-friendly and reliable server that hosts almost all their previous titles, so one is even able to greet someone from Starcraft through a Warcraft 3 chat room. Through this unique service, one is able to play among thousands of other players and climb a competitive ladder with rankings displayed on an organized website. It may all sound simple, but these little elements have seemed to create a world of its own. With Blizzard’s great reputation for their constant support of all their titles, constant patches and updates, this game is constantly evolving.

It’s a great buy, but be warned, it’s really something else!
Fri 21/11/03 at 12:48
Regular
"\\"
Get an "Age of Empires/Mythology" game.

If this new computer is fast then i suggest Mythology but Age of Empires II (the conquerors expansion pack aswell) is probably the best game out of all of the 5 current "Age of..." games and it's rather old too so it works on slower machines.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.