GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pro evo 6 - Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pro Evolution Soccer 6'.
Mon 30/10/06 at 15:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Known to many as the best football game series available the new Pro evolution soccer is out and from first looks seems like it's better than ever.
However, from the start you'll notice some big differences. Much of the edit features found in the previous games have been removed. No ability to edit players appearances or club strips - in fact the only edit features that remain is the ability to edit players information such as their name, age, nationality and ability. So no more editing the team names and strips to look like the official team kits - something which has angered a lot of the pro evo hardcore fans out there.

In terms of the game itself this time round there are a few more official teams - including man utd, rangers, celtic, arsenal etc. The graphics have been improved to support the High Def standard of the 360 and it does look rather impressive on a decent sized HD screen.

The control system is much the same as always, same buttons used for passing, shooting and moving around. The way players move around seems to have been changed a bit too, the speed at which players control the ball and run with the ball feel different and to a long time pro evo fan they do feel a bit abnormal and strange at first. Once you get used to it though after a few games you'll realise that the underlying physics and player movements have changed for the better and it improves the way that most games are played.

The game still plays like any other pro evo game and once you master the basics and learn some tricks the game does get a lot lot better, it can be very challenging at times and finding some decent opponents to play over xbox live could offer 100's of hours of enjoyment.

One of my pet hates with the last game was the ref and the constant whistle blowing for any kind of challenges. That seems much better with this one with only really the tough late challenges been punished. Old favourites such as the master league are still included and you can set up leagues and cups too sadly some of these features are missing from the xbox live side of the game – the ability to create leagues online with your friends would have been an excellent addition.

For me where the Pro evo games shine is through the online play, sadly there seems to be a few problems actually setting up and connecting too games which takes a lot of the fun of having a quick game over live away. When it does work though it is as good as you would expect with little lag and problems when you are connected to a decent player.

There was plenty of potential for a game like this, even to the point where we could have seen monthly downloadable updates that would update transfer information or player stats. Instead the game feels as though it's been rushed and any extras to the main game dropped to get the game released.

I was expecting much more from this game to be honest, the lack of editing features is a big loss and the problems with finding a game over live just gets too much at times and I give up trying.
The old rule of 'if it ain't broke then don't try fix it' comes to mind when thinking about pro evo 6. Lets just hope that an update will address some of the problems and that the required improvements and additions are included with the next installment of what might just be the best football series available. What angers me even more about the game though is the PC and PS2 versions seem to include all the missing editing features etc. Seems like at the cost of getting high definition graphics we lose out with some of the features that would have made a more complete game – looks like you'll either love it or be sadly disappointed.

I'm enjoying it, especially when I can connect with people on my friends list and play some games over live. But part of me was expecting something much better and I can't help feel that for the £39.99 price tag that 360 owners are getting a poor deal.
Mon 30/10/06 at 15:03
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Known to many as the best football game series available the new Pro evolution soccer is out and from first looks seems like it's better than ever.
However, from the start you'll notice some big differences. Much of the edit features found in the previous games have been removed. No ability to edit players appearances or club strips - in fact the only edit features that remain is the ability to edit players information such as their name, age, nationality and ability. So no more editing the team names and strips to look like the official team kits - something which has angered a lot of the pro evo hardcore fans out there.

In terms of the game itself this time round there are a few more official teams - including man utd, rangers, celtic, arsenal etc. The graphics have been improved to support the High Def standard of the 360 and it does look rather impressive on a decent sized HD screen.

The control system is much the same as always, same buttons used for passing, shooting and moving around. The way players move around seems to have been changed a bit too, the speed at which players control the ball and run with the ball feel different and to a long time pro evo fan they do feel a bit abnormal and strange at first. Once you get used to it though after a few games you'll realise that the underlying physics and player movements have changed for the better and it improves the way that most games are played.

The game still plays like any other pro evo game and once you master the basics and learn some tricks the game does get a lot lot better, it can be very challenging at times and finding some decent opponents to play over xbox live could offer 100's of hours of enjoyment.

One of my pet hates with the last game was the ref and the constant whistle blowing for any kind of challenges. That seems much better with this one with only really the tough late challenges been punished. Old favourites such as the master league are still included and you can set up leagues and cups too sadly some of these features are missing from the xbox live side of the game – the ability to create leagues online with your friends would have been an excellent addition.

For me where the Pro evo games shine is through the online play, sadly there seems to be a few problems actually setting up and connecting too games which takes a lot of the fun of having a quick game over live away. When it does work though it is as good as you would expect with little lag and problems when you are connected to a decent player.

There was plenty of potential for a game like this, even to the point where we could have seen monthly downloadable updates that would update transfer information or player stats. Instead the game feels as though it's been rushed and any extras to the main game dropped to get the game released.

I was expecting much more from this game to be honest, the lack of editing features is a big loss and the problems with finding a game over live just gets too much at times and I give up trying.
The old rule of 'if it ain't broke then don't try fix it' comes to mind when thinking about pro evo 6. Lets just hope that an update will address some of the problems and that the required improvements and additions are included with the next installment of what might just be the best football series available. What angers me even more about the game though is the PC and PS2 versions seem to include all the missing editing features etc. Seems like at the cost of getting high definition graphics we lose out with some of the features that would have made a more complete game – looks like you'll either love it or be sadly disappointed.

I'm enjoying it, especially when I can connect with people on my friends list and play some games over live. But part of me was expecting something much better and I can't help feel that for the £39.99 price tag that 360 owners are getting a poor deal.
Sun 26/08/07 at 21:43
Regular
"eeast weeeeeeeeeezy"
i scored from the middle of the pitch shot then it bounced pass the keeper and i was on reguler

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.