GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New FIFA World Rankings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/11/03 at 14:15
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
1 (1) Brazil
2 (2) France
3 (3) Spain
4 (4) Argentina
5 (8) Mexico
6 (5) Netherlands
7 (8) Turkey
8 (6) England
9 (7) Germany
10 (11) Czech Republic
11 (8) Italy
12 (12) United States
13 (14) Denmark
14 (13) Cameroon
15 (15) Ireland Republic
16 (16) Belgium
17 (18) Sweden
18 (17) Portugal
19 (19) Costa Rica
20 (20) Croatia

(Last months positions in brackets.)

Baffling once again. How the heck do they actually work these out?

England: win their group for Euro 2004 by drawing in Turkey, and beat Turkey comfortably. Lost to Denmark who are ranked a respectable 13 (14) and we move down.

Yet Turkey, who lost to us and failed to beat us in their own stadium, forced to go into the play-offs and even lose to Latvia, ranked a lowly 56 (and were 69th) and they move ahead of us in the rankings?!

And how come the Netherlands are still so high up? They also failed to win their group and lost to lowly Scotland, and yet they're also still ranked higher. And they didn't even qualify for the last World Cup yet are still ranked so high up.

It reminds me of the seedings for the last World Cup; England won their group and thrashed Germany 5-1, yet they were seeded and we weren't. Crazy statistics.
Wed 19/11/03 at 14:15
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
1 (1) Brazil
2 (2) France
3 (3) Spain
4 (4) Argentina
5 (8) Mexico
6 (5) Netherlands
7 (8) Turkey
8 (6) England
9 (7) Germany
10 (11) Czech Republic
11 (8) Italy
12 (12) United States
13 (14) Denmark
14 (13) Cameroon
15 (15) Ireland Republic
16 (16) Belgium
17 (18) Sweden
18 (17) Portugal
19 (19) Costa Rica
20 (20) Croatia

(Last months positions in brackets.)

Baffling once again. How the heck do they actually work these out?

England: win their group for Euro 2004 by drawing in Turkey, and beat Turkey comfortably. Lost to Denmark who are ranked a respectable 13 (14) and we move down.

Yet Turkey, who lost to us and failed to beat us in their own stadium, forced to go into the play-offs and even lose to Latvia, ranked a lowly 56 (and were 69th) and they move ahead of us in the rankings?!

And how come the Netherlands are still so high up? They also failed to win their group and lost to lowly Scotland, and yet they're also still ranked higher. And they didn't even qualify for the last World Cup yet are still ranked so high up.

It reminds me of the seedings for the last World Cup; England won their group and thrashed Germany 5-1, yet they were seeded and we weren't. Crazy statistics.
Wed 19/11/03 at 14:25
"Darkness, always"
I don't get that at all. Turkey, having drawn with us at home and then lost to Latvia away should have slipped down. At the very worst, going only on results, England and Turkey are identical, having won their recent games, except against eachother which were both draws, and then losing the most recent game (England Denmark, Latvia Turkey) There should be no respective change between the two teams, but Turkey going above us is just wrong on so many levels.

Holland aren't doing anything special, Spain are also in the play-offs I think, so why on God's green earth they're in the top 3 I don't know.

What a complete load of nonsensical pap.
Wed 19/11/03 at 14:30
Regular
"we escape....."
Turkey 7th!!!!!! that is so wrong
Wed 19/11/03 at 14:30
Regular
"we escape....."
they are definetly top 3 material
Wed 19/11/03 at 14:34
"Darkness, always"
You're joking... right?
Wed 19/11/03 at 14:34
"Darkness, always"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> their recent games, except against eachother which were both draws,

I lie, of course we beat them 2-0, which leaves no justification for them moving ahead of us.
Wed 19/11/03 at 15:00
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
This list makes no sense. After the Euro Qualifiers have finished, I'm making my own damn list. Take that FIFA!
Wed 19/11/03 at 16:21
Regular
"rooooooooooooney"
Come on Latvia draw tonight and prove to FIFA how wrong they are.
Wed 19/11/03 at 16:27
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
The FIFA rankings are pretty unfair, but they are awarded on a points basis. It basically comes to assesing all-round performance by a team.

In other words, only where a team is placed (top 10, top 20 etc) is what's important when it comes to rankings and seedings for tournaments.
Wed 19/11/03 at 17:28
Regular
I have no idea how far these points go back, but do remember Turkey finished 3rd in the world cup which was only last year.

And Turkey did thrash quite a few teams during the qualifiers while England scraped through mostly by the odd goal.

and dont forget the Confederations Cup in which turkey finished 3rd...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.