GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tax on the stupid?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/08/00 at 13:11
Regular
Or is it just tax on not being American?

What am I talking about?
PS2, it's going to cost a heafty equivalent of £100 more to buy in the UK than America. Anyone feel taken advantage of, and taken for a fool?

Car prices, CD's, and just about anything else you can think of, we have to pay more for here than is justifiable. Why? Because we pay whatever they charge. So we are suckers?
I guess so.

Now all commercial industries see us as a soft touch, a big, fat, stupid cow sat there for the milking, and all we do is moo for them.

I'm ashamed.
Thu 10/08/00 at 13:11
Or is it just tax on not being American?

What am I talking about?
PS2, it's going to cost a heafty equivalent of £100 more to buy in the UK than America. Anyone feel taken advantage of, and taken for a fool?

Car prices, CD's, and just about anything else you can think of, we have to pay more for here than is justifiable. Why? Because we pay whatever they charge. So we are suckers?
I guess so.

Now all commercial industries see us as a soft touch, a big, fat, stupid cow sat there for the milking, and all we do is moo for them.

I'm ashamed.
Mon 14/08/00 at 14:27
Hey, why pick on the Americans? The Japanese design these cards that make up some not-really-entertaining-at-all game. They decide on the slogan 'Gotta Catch Them All'. "O.K.," say we,"We Will". As long as we are such idiots in the commercial arena, people will take advantage of us, with computer games as well as everything else. The simple answer? Don't buy a PS2. Just keep your PC, buy a copy of Deus Ex and you'll have as much fun for a fraction of the price. All those in favour say 'aye'.
Mon 14/08/00 at 21:25
Regular
Aye, I won't buy a PS2 because of the price. I don't see the point anyway of pre ordering as the price will probably drop by about £150 in six months and there will be many more games to buy then as well. I am though looking foward to buying Deus Ex, it looks great! Pardon me, lost track of the subject there. Right, PS2, I think personnaly we should boycott it until the price is dropped. Although not everyone who will buy a PS2 will read this, I hope people who do will tell others, and they will tell others, and they will... you get the point. If we don't buy it, (although thousands have already preordered it) then Sony will be forced to drop the price quickly. I think I'm going to wait for the Dolphin anywho (not a spelling error, I like the word anywho) as I believe it to be the better console. And it won't just be a DVD player which can also play games.
Mon 14/08/00 at 23:20
I bought Pokémon Yellow for Gameboy when I was in America on holiday before it was released in UK! It cost me $40 at the time I bought it that would be about £30. Here in UK however you can buy Pokémon Yellow not on sale price for £25! Explain that!
Tue 15/08/00 at 17:41
Regular
The price has dropped, in America you must have brought it when it first came out. Now Pokemon Yellow has been released for a while, the price has dropped.
Tue 15/08/00 at 19:51
Sorry folks not buying Ps2 ot that Outrageous price, i'm gona buy dreamcast and wait for the X-Box to come out.......

mogul
Tue 15/08/00 at 19:55
we owe sony nothing, we've always been last on their list..... eat into all other markets before getting around to us and when they finally get here its make them pay more games as well as consoles because they know the world's full of people willing to pay (aka..suckers)....
i know by the time ps2 comes here sony will already be developing there next console why? because of Bill Gates, no dout in my mind the X-Box will overcast all consoles like megadrive vs playstation as for DVD's and internet access, well hey who hasnt got a computer without a modem or dvd (you cant buy one without these days).....sony will have to tempt me more to pay 300notes for something more than a revamped title. tomb raider,taken,grand turismo,ridge racer,FFX, all these games wouldnt entice me to cough out 350 notes.....sorry come on bill give us another taster..
Tue 15/08/00 at 23:12
Soup dragon: Have I seen you on codejunkies?
Wed 16/08/00 at 03:32
Ultimately its up to you if you want to buy games at ripoff prices over here. You could choose to buy the console and games on import and easily save money whilst making a statement to Nintendo or Sega or Sony that you refused to be ripped off. It isn't fair that things are cheaper outside Britain and its up to us to let companies know we won't accept it.
Wed 16/08/00 at 03:33
Ultimately its up to you if you want to buy games at ripoff prices over here. You could choose to buy the console and games on import and easily save money whilst making a statement to Nintendo or Sega or Sony that you refused to be ripped off. It isn't fair that things are cheaper outside Britain and its up to us to let companies know we won't accept it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.