GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The joys of moving data about."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/11/03 at 10:11
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I have two spreadsheets for work which I update regularly during the day and also in the evenings, what fun this causes,

My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, my work computer does
My laptop has USB port, my work computer does but Win NT doesn't support USB (so memory stick is out of the question)
My laptop has a CD Burner, my work computer doesn't

So at the moment I have to email the 2 spreadsheets to and from work daily, doesn't sound like much but can be a pain.

With USB external floppy drives being £45+ I think this is my only option, will have to put it on my expenses.

Nothing is ever straight forward is it ?
Wed 19/11/03 at 11:33
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Jive wrote:
> Ignore that.....I've just reread it. :O
>
> Methinks you should get your company to upgrade your laptop if your
> doing so much work at home!
>
> Is it possible for your company to setup dial up access to your
> network at work from home?
>
> Do you have broadband at home, could you use a VPN to access the data
> at work??

I do have BB at home yes, and am now the proud owner of a external USB floppy drive, musch easier in the long run, and work picked up the tab,
Wed 19/11/03 at 11:31
Regular
"bing bang bong"
They still connect across a network, only it's the internet :o I would suggest getting access to an ftp area somewhere and dumping the files there everytime you need them. You can mount ftp directories in Windows, I believe, so it'll be drag and drop.
Wed 19/11/03 at 10:05
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Ignore that.....I've just reread it. :O

Methinks you should get your company to upgrade your laptop if your doing so much work at home!

Is it possible for your company to setup dial up access to your network at work from home?

Do you have broadband at home, could you use a VPN to access the data at work??
Wed 19/11/03 at 10:03
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Erm.....network anyone??

Does your computer at work connect to a network?

Does your laptop at work connect to a network?

If they both connect to a network, can you not simply copy across the network and save all this email/floppy/USB problems?
Mon 17/11/03 at 15:00
Regular
"How Handy."
I thought you could add USB compatiblity to NT?
Mon 17/11/03 at 12:51
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Why don't you go a little bit further and get an MP3 player?
>
> Portable data storage + music player in one :P

I have a USB memory stick already, but Windows NT doesn't support USB :(
Mon 17/11/03 at 11:58
Regular
Why don't you go a little bit further and get an MP3 player?

Portable data storage + music player in one :P
Mon 17/11/03 at 10:54
Regular
Shouldn't your epmployer pay for it? Since it is a necessity that will benefit your work and contribute to the completion of it. Have a word with your manager - since it's work related and its their computer that's causing the problems (because of it's lack of USB support and cd burning capability), they should be pay for whatever you need to get your work done.

Other than that, I too would probably e-mail everything, despite the hassle.
Mon 17/11/03 at 10:11
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I have two spreadsheets for work which I update regularly during the day and also in the evenings, what fun this causes,

My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive, my work computer does
My laptop has USB port, my work computer does but Win NT doesn't support USB (so memory stick is out of the question)
My laptop has a CD Burner, my work computer doesn't

So at the moment I have to email the 2 spreadsheets to and from work daily, doesn't sound like much but can be a pain.

With USB external floppy drives being £45+ I think this is my only option, will have to put it on my expenses.

Nothing is ever straight forward is it ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.