GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multiplayer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/05/05 at 19:01
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
There are many aspects to multiplayer gaming. It could be that by multiplayer you think of you, your brother and Street Fighter II.. not to mention the broken pads and fights. You could be a CS veteran, and by multiplayer you think PC + Counter Strike Source = Heaven. But what makes multiplayer so special. Most of todays games are designed for the single player experience. You only have to look at the Metal Gear Solids, The Grand Theft Autos and the Super Mario games to see this.

But multiplayer based games are becoming more and more apparent. We're seeing Conker Live and Reloaded, a game thats former strength lay in its crude and mature single-player experience. Now Rare's main goal with the remake (for XBOX) is to make a kick-ass online, team-based, story-driven experience. Battlefield 2, the true sequel to Battlefield 1942, is out in June. Granted, it's an identical concept to 1942 and Vietnam, but the series has to be doing something right to be on its thrid installment. Also, while MMOs have been around for a few years, none have taken the world by storm like World of Warcraft. With over 1 million players signed on in just 6 months, World Of Warcraft is the best performing MMO ever. EVE Online has also done well, at times having over 10,000 players online at once. An amazing feat, but i'm sure WoW has surpassed even this!

Part of the boost in multiplayer gaming could be thanks to XBOX LIVE. While it won't have ahad a colossal effect on PC gamers, it will have had some. And while most console users may also have a PC, PC gaming can be a little trickier. XBOX LIVE has created a solid foundation for online console gaming. While different games offer different levels of options and gameplay modes, all LIVE games let you access a friends list, and select which types of game-mode you'd like to play via the Optimatch mode. You have the Quickmatch option, also, which lets you jump straight into any old game and go at it with anyone from around the world. But I digress. It could well be the ease of use that attracts people to XBOX LIVE. The worry of connection speed, compatability issues and version numbers of most current online PC games is what, I believe, scares people away from PC gaming.

Of course, those of us that actually play PC games online, know how invincible it is. And while you may have a few hiccups with version numbers, patches and highly-skilled adversaries, PC multiplayer gaming in general is great fun. Personally, i've been playing SWAT 4 for quite a while. Since it came out, in fact. One thing i've noticed is the community that is built. And it's not immitation either. With XBOX LIVE you have a friends list, yes; but a lot of people on there are rude, scream down the mics, glitch intentionally and the audience is slightly younger, on average. Theres always a sense that, unless you're in a server with friends-only, you're never quite comfortable to be how you are and act as you like. However, with PC gaming, the (general) lack of voice-comunication or Voice-Over IP (VoIP) means that there's no screaming, and the audience is normally at a certain above-average level of maturity that you don't get any genuinely sinister people on there. If on the odd chance you do come across someone whos a real dork, the admin of the respective server is usually smart enough to kick them! PC Gamers seem to be of a similar nature. They all have a foundation of respect for eachother.

But what is it that makes multiplayer gaming so appealing? It could well be the fact that we weren't designed to be alone as humans. It's a long shot, perhaps.. but there's some legitimacy to it. For one, we don't (as a species) like to be alone for a long period of time. A little reculsion from everyday life is nice - holidays and weekends away are a testament to this... but we live together in families, have groups of friends, people to phone and work with. Being around people and interacting with other people is part of our genetic make-up. I'm stereotyping here, so if you're a little recluse and only come out of your bedroom at Christmas, I apologise. Another genetic fact about humans is that we compete. Like most mammals, we compete for members of the opposite sex, for acceptance, for items and personal gain. So multiplayer gaming could just be a thirst-quencher for our thirst for success or even just competition if we suck at games.

Nowadays I rarely play single player games. I bought Jade Empire, Splinter Cell 3 and Far Cry recently. FarCry, admittedly, i'm still meandering through, but i'm only on level 3. Splinter Cell 3 and Jade Empire have both been eBayed and found new homes. Why? Because the single-player aspects of those games (the reasons for which I bought them) bored me. The thing is, when you play multiplayer games, it's hard to play more than two. I juggle SWAT 4 and Rainbow Six 3 on XBOX, although somewhat unevenly, and enjoy playing them so much I don't find the time for anything else. I like the people on SWAT, the community and the way the game plays. I do like XBOX LIVE, and will certainly be on Perfect Dark Zero, PGR 3 and Ghost Recon 3 with you all on 360 launch day, but at the moment, SWAT 4 is king for me.

I don't think you can beat multiplayer gaming really. Sure the Metal Gear games come very close in storyline and atmosphere... but from past experiences, you can't beat 32 people running towards another 32 people on Battlefield 1942 or Desert Combat, you can't beat you and 6 or 7 of your friends taking out some rats in EVE online and you CERTIAINLY can't beat you and 11 other 'Friends' in a room of Rainbow Six 3 when half of them are drunk! Multiplayer games, like most multi-person activities, often build a community. A group of people who know each other, interact with each other and generally have fun together. And regardless of how good any single player game is. Great gaming can't beat great gaming WITH other people.

Multiplayer gaming is the future. Microsoft has XBOX LIVE. Nintendo are going online, SONY should be more so and have done so, to a degree. People are getting faster internet connections and computers are more and more capable of running 3D games. The rise of multiplayer is all too apparent. Add the fact that NINTENDO of all companies has announced a Free, Wi-Fi enabled online experience for its next console and you can't deny it. If you only play single-player games, or haven't experienced multiplayer gaming, online or offline, then I strongly suggest you do. Not everyone out there is a PC s00pa-g33k, with a NASA powered super computer ready to laugh at you when you get 'pwned' like the 'n00b' you apparently are. There are some peculiars on LIVE, but I have about 60 people on my 'Friends' likst who are all sound fellows and ladies.... yes ladies.

As I said, there are some games where the single-player experience is regarded as the best of its kind and the repesctive game is the best in its genre, but when you look at it - nothing compares to playing games with other people. It's like playing football on your own, playing table-tennis against the other side of the table and even pleasuring yourself sexually - it may be good, but it's not the best.

Now, get on SWAT 4, you 'n00bs' and i'll 'pwn' you with my 100MB connection NASA Super Computer that runs Windows XP in the Klingon and Wookie languages. Haha! ;)
Sun 22/05/05 at 19:01
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
There are many aspects to multiplayer gaming. It could be that by multiplayer you think of you, your brother and Street Fighter II.. not to mention the broken pads and fights. You could be a CS veteran, and by multiplayer you think PC + Counter Strike Source = Heaven. But what makes multiplayer so special. Most of todays games are designed for the single player experience. You only have to look at the Metal Gear Solids, The Grand Theft Autos and the Super Mario games to see this.

But multiplayer based games are becoming more and more apparent. We're seeing Conker Live and Reloaded, a game thats former strength lay in its crude and mature single-player experience. Now Rare's main goal with the remake (for XBOX) is to make a kick-ass online, team-based, story-driven experience. Battlefield 2, the true sequel to Battlefield 1942, is out in June. Granted, it's an identical concept to 1942 and Vietnam, but the series has to be doing something right to be on its thrid installment. Also, while MMOs have been around for a few years, none have taken the world by storm like World of Warcraft. With over 1 million players signed on in just 6 months, World Of Warcraft is the best performing MMO ever. EVE Online has also done well, at times having over 10,000 players online at once. An amazing feat, but i'm sure WoW has surpassed even this!

Part of the boost in multiplayer gaming could be thanks to XBOX LIVE. While it won't have ahad a colossal effect on PC gamers, it will have had some. And while most console users may also have a PC, PC gaming can be a little trickier. XBOX LIVE has created a solid foundation for online console gaming. While different games offer different levels of options and gameplay modes, all LIVE games let you access a friends list, and select which types of game-mode you'd like to play via the Optimatch mode. You have the Quickmatch option, also, which lets you jump straight into any old game and go at it with anyone from around the world. But I digress. It could well be the ease of use that attracts people to XBOX LIVE. The worry of connection speed, compatability issues and version numbers of most current online PC games is what, I believe, scares people away from PC gaming.

Of course, those of us that actually play PC games online, know how invincible it is. And while you may have a few hiccups with version numbers, patches and highly-skilled adversaries, PC multiplayer gaming in general is great fun. Personally, i've been playing SWAT 4 for quite a while. Since it came out, in fact. One thing i've noticed is the community that is built. And it's not immitation either. With XBOX LIVE you have a friends list, yes; but a lot of people on there are rude, scream down the mics, glitch intentionally and the audience is slightly younger, on average. Theres always a sense that, unless you're in a server with friends-only, you're never quite comfortable to be how you are and act as you like. However, with PC gaming, the (general) lack of voice-comunication or Voice-Over IP (VoIP) means that there's no screaming, and the audience is normally at a certain above-average level of maturity that you don't get any genuinely sinister people on there. If on the odd chance you do come across someone whos a real dork, the admin of the respective server is usually smart enough to kick them! PC Gamers seem to be of a similar nature. They all have a foundation of respect for eachother.

But what is it that makes multiplayer gaming so appealing? It could well be the fact that we weren't designed to be alone as humans. It's a long shot, perhaps.. but there's some legitimacy to it. For one, we don't (as a species) like to be alone for a long period of time. A little reculsion from everyday life is nice - holidays and weekends away are a testament to this... but we live together in families, have groups of friends, people to phone and work with. Being around people and interacting with other people is part of our genetic make-up. I'm stereotyping here, so if you're a little recluse and only come out of your bedroom at Christmas, I apologise. Another genetic fact about humans is that we compete. Like most mammals, we compete for members of the opposite sex, for acceptance, for items and personal gain. So multiplayer gaming could just be a thirst-quencher for our thirst for success or even just competition if we suck at games.

Nowadays I rarely play single player games. I bought Jade Empire, Splinter Cell 3 and Far Cry recently. FarCry, admittedly, i'm still meandering through, but i'm only on level 3. Splinter Cell 3 and Jade Empire have both been eBayed and found new homes. Why? Because the single-player aspects of those games (the reasons for which I bought them) bored me. The thing is, when you play multiplayer games, it's hard to play more than two. I juggle SWAT 4 and Rainbow Six 3 on XBOX, although somewhat unevenly, and enjoy playing them so much I don't find the time for anything else. I like the people on SWAT, the community and the way the game plays. I do like XBOX LIVE, and will certainly be on Perfect Dark Zero, PGR 3 and Ghost Recon 3 with you all on 360 launch day, but at the moment, SWAT 4 is king for me.

I don't think you can beat multiplayer gaming really. Sure the Metal Gear games come very close in storyline and atmosphere... but from past experiences, you can't beat 32 people running towards another 32 people on Battlefield 1942 or Desert Combat, you can't beat you and 6 or 7 of your friends taking out some rats in EVE online and you CERTIAINLY can't beat you and 11 other 'Friends' in a room of Rainbow Six 3 when half of them are drunk! Multiplayer games, like most multi-person activities, often build a community. A group of people who know each other, interact with each other and generally have fun together. And regardless of how good any single player game is. Great gaming can't beat great gaming WITH other people.

Multiplayer gaming is the future. Microsoft has XBOX LIVE. Nintendo are going online, SONY should be more so and have done so, to a degree. People are getting faster internet connections and computers are more and more capable of running 3D games. The rise of multiplayer is all too apparent. Add the fact that NINTENDO of all companies has announced a Free, Wi-Fi enabled online experience for its next console and you can't deny it. If you only play single-player games, or haven't experienced multiplayer gaming, online or offline, then I strongly suggest you do. Not everyone out there is a PC s00pa-g33k, with a NASA powered super computer ready to laugh at you when you get 'pwned' like the 'n00b' you apparently are. There are some peculiars on LIVE, but I have about 60 people on my 'Friends' likst who are all sound fellows and ladies.... yes ladies.

As I said, there are some games where the single-player experience is regarded as the best of its kind and the repesctive game is the best in its genre, but when you look at it - nothing compares to playing games with other people. It's like playing football on your own, playing table-tennis against the other side of the table and even pleasuring yourself sexually - it may be good, but it's not the best.

Now, get on SWAT 4, you 'n00bs' and i'll 'pwn' you with my 100MB connection NASA Super Computer that runs Windows XP in the Klingon and Wookie languages. Haha! ;)
Tue 31/05/05 at 18:26
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
*Tumbleweed*

Multiplayer games have come a long way- look at games like Wario Ware and Timesplitters: Future Perfect. Then again...
Tue 31/05/05 at 19:18
Regular
"Pwned. =)"
Yeah, multiplayer games are increasing with the glorification of the internet and xbox live :D
Fri 03/06/05 at 21:56
Regular
"youngest regular"
Game wrote:
> There are many aspects to multiplayer gaming. It could be that by
> multiplayer you think of you, your brother and Street Fighter II..
> not to mention the broken pads and fights. You could be a CS veteran,
> and by multiplayer you think PC + Counter Strike Source = Heaven. But
> what makes multiplayer so special. Most of todays games are designed
> for the single player experience. You only have to look at the Metal
> Gear Solids, The Grand Theft Autos and the Super Mario games to see
> this.
>
> But multiplayer based games are becoming more and more apparent.
> We're seeing Conker Live and Reloaded, a game thats former strength
> lay in its crude and mature single-player experience. Now Rare's main
> goal with the remake (for XBOX) is to make a kick-ass online,
> team-based, story-driven experience. Battlefield 2, the true sequel
> to Battlefield 1942, is out in June. Granted, it's an identical
> concept to 1942 and Vietnam, but the series has to be doing something
> right to be on its thrid installment. Also, while MMOs have been
> around for a few years, none have taken the world by storm like World
> of Warcraft. With over 1 million players signed on in just 6 months,
> World Of Warcraft is the best performing MMO ever. EVE Online has
> also done well, at times having over 10,000 players online at once.
> An amazing feat, but i'm sure WoW has surpassed even this!
>
> Part of the boost in multiplayer gaming could be thanks to XBOX LIVE.
> While it won't have ahad a colossal effect on PC gamers, it will have
> had some. And while most console users may also have a PC, PC gaming
> can be a little trickier. XBOX LIVE has created a solid foundation
> for online console gaming. While different games offer different
> levels of options and gameplay modes, all LIVE games let you access a
> friends list, and select which types of game-mode you'd like to play
> via the Optimatch mode. You have the Quickmatch option, also, which
> lets you jump straight into any old game and go at it with anyone
> from around the world. But I digress. It could well be the ease of
> use that attracts people to XBOX LIVE. The worry of connection speed,
> compatability issues and version numbers of most current online PC
> games is what, I believe, scares people away from PC gaming.
>
> Of course, those of us that actually play PC games online, know how
> invincible it is. And while you may have a few hiccups with version
> numbers, patches and highly-skilled adversaries, PC multiplayer
> gaming in general is great fun. Personally, i've been playing SWAT 4
> for quite a while. Since it came out, in fact. One thing i've noticed
> is the community that is built. And it's not immitation either. With
> XBOX LIVE you have a friends list, yes; but a lot of people on there
> are rude, scream down the mics, glitch intentionally and the audience
> is slightly younger, on average. Theres always a sense that, unless
> you're in a server with friends-only, you're never quite comfortable
> to be how you are and act as you like. However, with PC gaming, the
> (general) lack of voice-comunication or Voice-Over IP (VoIP) means
> that there's no screaming, and the audience is normally at a certain
> above-average level of maturity that you don't get any genuinely
> sinister people on there. If on the odd chance you do come across
> someone whos a real dork, the admin of the respective server is
> usually smart enough to kick them! PC Gamers seem to be of a similar
> nature. They all have a foundation of respect for eachother.
>
> But what is it that makes multiplayer gaming so appealing? It could
> well be the fact that we weren't designed to be alone as humans. It's
> a long shot, perhaps.. but there's some legitimacy to it. For one, we
> don't (as a species) like to be alone for a long period of time. A
> little reculsion from everyday life is nice - holidays and weekends
> away are a testament to this... but we live together in families,
> have groups of friends, people to phone and work with. Being around
> people and interacting with other people is part of our genetic
> make-up. I'm stereotyping here, so if you're a little recluse and
> only come out of your bedroom at Christmas, I apologise. Another
> genetic fact about humans is that we compete. Like most mammals, we
> compete for members of the opposite sex, for acceptance, for items
> and personal gain. So multiplayer gaming could just be a
> thirst-quencher for our thirst for success or even just competition
> if we suck at games.
>
> Nowadays I rarely play single player games. I bought Jade Empire,
> Splinter Cell 3 and Far Cry recently. FarCry, admittedly, i'm still
> meandering through, but i'm only on level 3. Splinter Cell 3 and Jade
> Empire have both been eBayed and found new homes. Why? Because the
> single-player aspects of those games (the reasons for which I bought
> them) bored me. The thing is, when you play multiplayer games, it's
> hard to play more than two. I juggle SWAT 4 and Rainbow Six 3 on
> XBOX, although somewhat unevenly, and enjoy playing them so much I
> don't find the time for anything else. I like the people on SWAT, the
> community and the way the game plays. I do like XBOX LIVE, and will
> certainly be on Perfect Dark Zero, PGR 3 and Ghost Recon 3 with you
> all on 360 launch day, but at the moment, SWAT 4 is king for me.
>
> I don't think you can beat multiplayer gaming really. Sure the Metal
> Gear games come very close in storyline and atmosphere... but from
> past experiences, you can't beat 32 people running towards another 32
> people on Battlefield 1942 or Desert Combat, you can't beat you and 6
> or 7 of your friends taking out some rats in EVE online and you
> CERTIAINLY can't beat you and 11 other 'Friends' in a room of
> Rainbow Six 3 when half of them are drunk! Multiplayer games, like
> most multi-person activities, often build a community. A group of
> people who know each other, interact with each other and generally
> have fun together. And regardless of how good any single player game
> is. Great gaming can't beat great gaming WITH other people.
>
> Multiplayer gaming is the future. Microsoft has XBOX LIVE. Nintendo
> are going online, SONY should be more so and have done so, to a
> degree. People are getting faster internet connections and computers
> are more and more capable of running 3D games. The rise of
> multiplayer is all too apparent. Add the fact that NINTENDO of all
> companies has announced a Free, Wi-Fi enabled online experience for
> its next console and you can't deny it. If you only play
> single-player games, or haven't experienced multiplayer gaming,
> online or offline, then I strongly suggest you do. Not everyone out
> there is a PC s00pa-g33k, with a NASA powered super computer ready to
> laugh at you when you get 'pwned' like the 'n00b' you apparently are.
> There are some peculiars on LIVE, but I have about 60 people on my
> 'Friends' likst who are all sound fellows and ladies.... yes ladies.
>
> As I said, there are some games where the single-player experience is
> regarded as the best of its kind and the repesctive game is the best
> in its genre, but when you look at it - nothing compares to playing
> games with other people. It's like playing football on your own,
> playing table-tennis against the other side of the table and even
> pleasuring yourself sexually - it may be good, but it's not the
> best.
>
> Now, get on SWAT 4, you 'n00bs' and i'll 'pwn' you with my 100MB
> connection NASA Super Computer that runs Windows XP in the Klingon
> and Wookie languages. Haha! ;)
Fri 03/06/05 at 21:58
Regular
"youngest regular"
right this was supposed to be under the one under me but it is to big.
how long ,did it take u,to write that.
Thu 15/09/05 at 07:32
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
thats the most shameful attempt to boost a word count ive ever seen
Thu 15/09/05 at 18:09
Regular
"Cool!"
I don't think it's an attempt to boost his word count. Interesting stuff.
Fri 16/09/05 at 13:57
Regular
"Damn dirty apes!"
no im talking about snake10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.