GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Deleting Folders from htdocs - permission denied"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/07/09 at 20:18
Regular
Hi,

I have VIP hosting and have used my domain name over the years for a number of things. I recently started my own company and have built myself a new website which is up and running nicely.

However there is a problem.

I have some old folders (2 folders to be exact) which used to house a site built using phpblog. The folders contain numerous subfolders for the sps phpblog entries. All permissions are set to chmod 777 (all read, write and execute).

I need to delete these folders as google keeps indexing them and it does not look good when you search for my company and get an old unused blog that does not load properly.

Problem is system will not let me delete them - I get a message telling me I dont have permission to delete the files / folders.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Rich
Sun 19/07/09 at 20:18
Regular
Hi,

I have VIP hosting and have used my domain name over the years for a number of things. I recently started my own company and have built myself a new website which is up and running nicely.

However there is a problem.

I have some old folders (2 folders to be exact) which used to house a site built using phpblog. The folders contain numerous subfolders for the sps phpblog entries. All permissions are set to chmod 777 (all read, write and execute).

I need to delete these folders as google keeps indexing them and it does not look good when you search for my company and get an old unused blog that does not load properly.

Problem is system will not let me delete them - I get a message telling me I dont have permission to delete the files / folders.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Rich
Sun 19/07/09 at 20:39
Regular
I've had the same previously.

It sounds like its related to 'ownership' issues of the folders.

If you drop support a support ticket or give them a quick buzz, they will sort it for you.

Neil
Sun 19/07/09 at 20:42
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
DaxCobra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have VIP hosting and have used my domain name over the years
> for a number of things. I recently started my own company and
> have built myself a new website which is up and running nicely.
>
>
> However there is a problem.
>
> I have some old folders (2 folders to be exact) which used to
> house a site built using phpblog. The folders contain numerous
> subfolders for the sps phpblog entries. All permissions are set
> to chmod 777 (all read, write and execute).
>
> I need to delete these folders as google keeps indexing them and
> it does not look good when you search for my company and get an
> old unused blog that does not load properly.
>
> Problem is system will not let me delete them - I get a message
> telling me I dont have permission to delete the files / folders.
>
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks
>
> Rich

Not an expert, but do you have access to these folders on Freeola servers via ftp? If so, just delete them.
Sun 19/07/09 at 20:53
Regular
I have access to them on FTP (I put them there in the first place ;-)) but now I can't get rid of them.

Will try dropping support an email.

Cheers guys
Rich

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.