GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I want a different Baby..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/11/03 at 07:53
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
That was basically what some families have said today on the news.

They are arguing that they should be allowd to change the gender of a baby if they want to. 82% of the British public said that it was wrong and should not be allowd.

I agree, its wrong. Its like saying this:
When your Child is born and its a male, but you wanted a female so you just throw it away and try again. Thats wrong and thats what they're basically saying.

It is needed sometimes though for medical reasons such as a disease which is only on the female side. So I can except that. But what cant except is that people cant be satisfied with what baby they have. They should be happy because some people would be grateful for any child.

What are your views?
Thu 13/11/03 at 19:48
"possibly impossible"
Dr Duck wrote:
> As for the argument about 'playing god' - are such arguments just an
> example of people unreasonably imposing their personal religious and
> moral opinions on others?
>

It's a great little phrase that means so more than just the religious aspect of the thing. Still, I guess it's been debated over since before Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein and will be for years to come.

I don't think it's just the moral attitude towards it either, it's more like the GM crops situation, we don't really know enough about it yet so it should be controlled and investigated further.

Oh, and stop all that Frolicking in brine. There are goblins in there you know...
Thu 13/11/03 at 02:18
Regular
Hmm. Reminds me of the situation in Japan (I think), where parents are effectively financially penalised for having more than one child, all want a boy as he will probably be better able to provide financial security for the parents when they retire, meaning hundreds of first-born girls are just abandonned.

But as a general principle: It's easy to point out the moral flaws in a parent effectively saying they can't love a child of one gender as much as another.
But does that flaw mean they aren't fit parents? Nobody's perfect, it's not cannibalism.

And if we figure they can be fit parents while wanting to choose, doesn't that suggest that they should be able to have a choice?

As for the argument about 'playing god' - are such arguments just an example of people unreasonably imposing their personal religious and moral opinions on others?

More importantly, if these scientists can play god, shouldn't we have a church in their honour?

So many questions, so few solid answers.
Yep, a minefield.
Fortunately I feel fairly apathetic about it :^)
Wed 12/11/03 at 22:27
"possibly impossible"
It's a complicated subject that can be split many ways. Do we even have the right to choose sex due to diseases, or even experiment on DNA to remove things like cancer? Is it playing God or just progress? What are the side-effects.

IVF has given many people the hope of having children, but is it right and if that is ok, then why not changing things before the egg is fertilised?

If the potential mother wants the baby and the father has donated, then dies, does the mother have the right to get pregnent? If so, does it work the other way around with a surrogate mother? What if the partners split?

Sounds like a minefield of legal and moral issues to me.
Wed 12/11/03 at 17:12
Regular
But, but...but.... a...a weener!
Wed 12/11/03 at 17:09
Regular
"Light of the world"
That is ridiculous - whatever gender it is still a little baby made from you and *hopefully* the one you love..

MY GOD IT DOESNT HAVE A WEENER... send it back

No
Wed 12/11/03 at 16:54
Regular
Can you give me superhuman abilities with that?
Wed 12/11/03 at 09:08
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I wonder if it is possible to choose a hermaphrodite baby?
"Yes that's right Doctor, I want a boy AND a girl in one neat package."
Wed 12/11/03 at 07:53
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
That was basically what some families have said today on the news.

They are arguing that they should be allowd to change the gender of a baby if they want to. 82% of the British public said that it was wrong and should not be allowd.

I agree, its wrong. Its like saying this:
When your Child is born and its a male, but you wanted a female so you just throw it away and try again. Thats wrong and thats what they're basically saying.

It is needed sometimes though for medical reasons such as a disease which is only on the female side. So I can except that. But what cant except is that people cant be satisfied with what baby they have. They should be happy because some people would be grateful for any child.

What are your views?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.