GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Great Up and coming films!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/03/01 at 17:06
Regular
Now that DVDs are really taking off it seems that people in general are demanding bigger and better films. Just look at some of the films soon to be on DVD, they include titles like Meet The Parents, X-Men, Road Trip...the list goes on!
The time to release onto DVD is much improved since the days of VHS. Which brings me to my next point. The whole Religion encoding is pointless, the Americans get the films weeks before we do, often with extras we just don't get and they are cheaper over there. Did you know that last year the average cinema ticket for the UK costs £7.45 THE HIGHEST IN EUROPE! Other places like France only pay £3.40 on average, us English are being ripped off!
Post your feelings below!
Cheers ppl ALEX
PS Did Dreamcast fail because it couldn't play DVDs, I say yes!
Tue 13/03/01 at 21:03
My guess is it must be either $7.45(i.e. an American statistic), or £7.45 with Popcorn and a HotDog, i.e. the price an Average Cinema Trip costs.
Tue 13/03/01 at 18:47
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I'd love to know where that statistic came from. No way can that be accurate.

I know people who live in some of the most expensive parts of the country and they don't pay more than that (which they would have to to give an average).

I think it's more likely that UK cinema goers pay UP TO £7.45

By the way, it's REGION coding, not religion coding. It's not pointless if it worked (at least not from the film companies point of view) but the truth is it doesn't. I've had X-Men and Road Trip for months and Meet The Parents is in the post as we speak. I've also paid less than I would have done in the evil HMV. The Watcher just out at cinema? I nearly bought it last week!

The Dreamcast fail because it can't play DVDs? That must rank as one of the most amazingly stupid comments ever posted here! Even when it was £150 you could buy a Dreamcast and a really good DVD player (not the Encore, although it's decent-ish for the price) for around £350. The extra £50 ill get you a better selection of games and a much better picture quality on your films. Has the PlayStation2 succeeded because it can play DVDs (even at the poor level it does)? No, it's succeeded because of the mass-market public and their blind faith in advertising.

FACT: It's worth noting that, at the time of release in Japan, DVD players were new technology there and were very expensive (more so than here). From the number of PS2 consoles and games sold in relation to the number of DVDs it was realised that the majority of Japanese punters were buying PS2s to use as cheap DVD players and not primarily as a games machine (if at all).
Tue 13/03/01 at 16:50
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
Excuse me but you said the UK's average cinema ticket was £7 (approx.) why did you say the ENGLISH were being ripped off....it would be EVERYONE in the UK that was being ripped off and not just the English. However in Scotland cinema tickets aren't anymore expensive than £3.50 here. So somewhere people are majorly being ripped off!!
Mon 12/03/01 at 17:50
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
The only place I've ever seen Cinema tickets for around £7 is Leciester Square....
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:43
The Dreamcast failed because it was too expensive initially, and it wasnt bundled with House of the Dead2 + Lightgun and SoulCaliber as Standard!
Sun 11/03/01 at 21:41
What £7..

I dont know where you go to the Cinema but I've never payed much over £5 to go to the Cinema! The only time it gets more expensive is if I use the Premier Suite which has a vibrating chair with more legroom. That costs £10!
Sun 11/03/01 at 17:06
Now that DVDs are really taking off it seems that people in general are demanding bigger and better films. Just look at some of the films soon to be on DVD, they include titles like Meet The Parents, X-Men, Road Trip...the list goes on!
The time to release onto DVD is much improved since the days of VHS. Which brings me to my next point. The whole Religion encoding is pointless, the Americans get the films weeks before we do, often with extras we just don't get and they are cheaper over there. Did you know that last year the average cinema ticket for the UK costs £7.45 THE HIGHEST IN EUROPE! Other places like France only pay £3.40 on average, us English are being ripped off!
Post your feelings below!
Cheers ppl ALEX
PS Did Dreamcast fail because it couldn't play DVDs, I say yes!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.