GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wind Farms"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/11/03 at 15:27
Regular
Another news story about people crying about plans for a local wind farm.

'Blah blah blah the environment...'

So:
Good for the environment - we don't have to burn fossil fuels.
Bad for the environment - they're ugly.

I know which I'd consider the most compelling argument, and it's easy to put any sort of protest down to whinging local inbreds who hate any sort of change (especially in their gene pool).

But then again I could be way off the mark, so I thought I'd see what you in.. um, people thought of the arguments against wind farms.
Tue 11/11/03 at 17:53
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I personally think they look quite cool, serene.

Don't know if they're noisy though.
Tue 11/11/03 at 16:57
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Just build one super-gargantuan windmill on the Isle of Man. Problem solved, kind of...
Tue 11/11/03 at 16:55
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I dont really mind windfarms, its better than looking at the massive cooling towers that are needed for a coal power station.
Tue 11/11/03 at 16:38
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
Windfarms ugly? My sweaty balls!

Slagheaps? Quarries? Dumps? Landfills?

In comparison, windfarms are a truly beautiful site, and it angers me that people are so dumb and get so easily offended that instead of building them inland, energy companies are being forced to invest massive amounts of money to build them offshore, incurring greater installation and maintenance costs, as well as having a much higher potential for damaging wildlife.

What does this do? Drives up the cost of people's bills and continues to kill off the environment. Maybe it's just me, but that looks pretty much like a lose lose situation.

Energy companies don't care, OFGEM will have to acknowledge price rises as companies invest heavily to meet government set quotas of green energy, and the companies KNOW that whatever investment they make can be returned in the form of higher prices.

MUUUH
MUUUH
MUUUH!!!!

Why are people so blasted well stupid???
Tue 11/11/03 at 16:32
Regular
Pylons...
True, we do accept them, but there are plenty of areas that they don't run through. Breccon Beacons springs to mind. If memory serves then there aren't any around there.

Still, I doubt there'd be as much noise even if there were plans to put lines through that area.

Speaking of which, it'd be interesting to know exactly how noisy they are. I've only seen them for a couple of miles away, too far to hear.
Mon 10/11/03 at 21:45
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
In summary: Wind farms are great, as long as you live out of visual sight of them and out of hearing range of them.

Not so sure about the pylons thing, around here the electricity cables are undergroud with nay a pylon in sight around the whole town.
Mon 10/11/03 at 16:26
Regular
"Hallelujah"
...I dont know why I clicked this topic...I still don't. But I say go for it.
Mon 10/11/03 at 16:24
Regular
i think a wind farm would put a modern edge into every person's view. but i hear they're noisy.
Mon 10/11/03 at 15:54
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hmm, I personally don't think they are ugly, although I imagine that if I lived close to a wind farm my opinion might differ.

Light has a point about pylons however, although I'd say that since we are so used to seeing them and so accepting of them, they blur into the background to a certain extent.

Perhaps its just because a big windmill is a relatively new concept, people notice them more.

I feel it's quite relaxing to watch them spinning :)
Mon 10/11/03 at 15:49
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
They are ugly, sure. But electricity pylons aren't exactly easy on the eye, and we're happy to pepper the landscape with them.

I think the main argument against wind farms is that the political lobbiests working for them don't have as much money in order to 'get the attention' of politicians.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.