GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HYPE"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/03/01 at 10:18
Regular
What can you say about this little four letter word? HYPE

Hype is everywhere, from trainers to films and consoles to games, in my opinion hype is bad, is can damage an ok game, people talk wonders about this game and say it will be simply superb, they haven't probably even played it and are going on what they have seen (read my screenshots topic) or read.

A great example of this was 'Perfect Dark' on the N64, a whole year and a half before it was finished people were calling it the Goldeneye beater and the best shooter ever, this was a whole year and a half before the game was even complete, RARE being the great company that they are didn't want to release it knowing people might be disapointed, so they held it back 4 months and then another 2 months, they wanted too tweak the game and try to perfect it in every department, this was a good idea at first but as you had the complainers you had the other half of the waiters who grew more hype around the game which made it sound like the best game ever ever ever (Ms Jackson hehehe). When RARE did release the game the people who originally hyped it then started the 'not as good as Goldeneye' thing, but then again I don't think RARE were trying to beat Goldeneye, they made Goldeneye so they wouldn't want to make it look rubbish, Perfect Dark (PD) did sell in it millions worldwide, but there was still the fact that hype had damaged a really great game, no one can say they didn't think the game was good, infact I personally though PD was brilliant and the multiplayer was much better then other games.

There are so many examples of this what I will call 'damaging' hype. MGS2 has probably been the most anticipated game for any PS2 or PS owner, but then again I read somewhere that the makers were struggling to keep the story line up to full brilliance, again this game will be delayed because Konami don't want to release a game with the first part being 100% and the ending being 70%. They are struggling to beat the original and I find it hard for them to do this, sure the graphics will be better, I just hope it doesn't fail in other departments, hopefully konami will take there time and release a 98% quality game.

The problem is no matter how much I protest against hype, I will continue to make great comments about the GC and GBA because I think they rule, I don't yet have an inhouse GC but I have played 2 minutes of the Japanese MKartAdvance...no matter how much I protest against hype it will always be here, making decisions on what we buy.

Thanks for reading

er-no
Sun 11/03/01 at 10:18
Regular
"everyone says it"
What can you say about this little four letter word? HYPE

Hype is everywhere, from trainers to films and consoles to games, in my opinion hype is bad, is can damage an ok game, people talk wonders about this game and say it will be simply superb, they haven't probably even played it and are going on what they have seen (read my screenshots topic) or read.

A great example of this was 'Perfect Dark' on the N64, a whole year and a half before it was finished people were calling it the Goldeneye beater and the best shooter ever, this was a whole year and a half before the game was even complete, RARE being the great company that they are didn't want to release it knowing people might be disapointed, so they held it back 4 months and then another 2 months, they wanted too tweak the game and try to perfect it in every department, this was a good idea at first but as you had the complainers you had the other half of the waiters who grew more hype around the game which made it sound like the best game ever ever ever (Ms Jackson hehehe). When RARE did release the game the people who originally hyped it then started the 'not as good as Goldeneye' thing, but then again I don't think RARE were trying to beat Goldeneye, they made Goldeneye so they wouldn't want to make it look rubbish, Perfect Dark (PD) did sell in it millions worldwide, but there was still the fact that hype had damaged a really great game, no one can say they didn't think the game was good, infact I personally though PD was brilliant and the multiplayer was much better then other games.

There are so many examples of this what I will call 'damaging' hype. MGS2 has probably been the most anticipated game for any PS2 or PS owner, but then again I read somewhere that the makers were struggling to keep the story line up to full brilliance, again this game will be delayed because Konami don't want to release a game with the first part being 100% and the ending being 70%. They are struggling to beat the original and I find it hard for them to do this, sure the graphics will be better, I just hope it doesn't fail in other departments, hopefully konami will take there time and release a 98% quality game.

The problem is no matter how much I protest against hype, I will continue to make great comments about the GC and GBA because I think they rule, I don't yet have an inhouse GC but I have played 2 minutes of the Japanese MKartAdvance...no matter how much I protest against hype it will always be here, making decisions on what we buy.

Thanks for reading

er-no
Sun 11/03/01 at 10:26
"possibly impossible"
Ah, but I wonder how much hype is started from the games firms themselves? It's a great, and free, way to sell games before even paying for the normal advertising.

Obviously this works both ways and if another games firm was so devious as to, say, release some bad hype about another game that looked to threaten the sales of one of their games, then it would hamper the company's PR engine, so they'd have to release something to counteract this.

It does go on as well, games firms are clever enough to realise there are more ways than just paid advertising to sell a game before it's even arrived. Even posting one mail on a frequently used games forum may trigger off a nice little domino effect that means forums everywhere would start getting hyped up about a game.
Sun 11/03/01 at 11:00
Regular
"everyone says it"
LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND:

'MGS2 is finshed, the shoots are the intro, the demo is the whole game and Konami aren't going to release it over here'

what terrible news!
Sun 11/03/01 at 11:01
Regular
So what games do you know thta have lived up to their hype then? The only one I can really think of is MSR. Sure there was loads of hype around it, but it managed to live up to that hype.
Sun 11/03/01 at 11:17
Regular
"everyone says it"
Games which have lived up to the hype:

Zelda Ocarina of Time
RE2
MGS
Mario64
GT2 (maybe)
Goldeneye

These are the ones that I can remember people not being disapointed with after months of 'its going to be class'.

In my opinion Perfect Dark lived up to the hype.. but lets not start that again.
Sun 11/03/01 at 13:38
Regular
"everyone says it"
i cannot think of any others!
Sun 11/03/01 at 13:39
Regular
I think you've got just about all of 'em there mnate, although i never was a big fan of the RE games.
Sun 11/03/01 at 13:42
Regular
"everyone says it"
yes neither was I but RE2 did turn out to be a better game then RE overall.
Sun 11/03/01 at 13:43
Regular
I have to say i was dissapointed with Mario Kart 64, i think the SNES version was much better.

Im guessing that this arguement has been done loads of times on here so i wont say any more about it.
Sun 11/03/01 at 13:46
I loathe the Resident Evil series.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.