GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mobile Phone Website"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/07/09 at 12:03
Regular
Ok what is the easiest way to convert an existing site to make it veiwable on a mobile device?

I notice now that many site have a dedicated mobile site like facebook and ebay to name but 2 and they have an address that starts m. is this some thing that Freeola support or plan to support in the future and is it worth doing.

Digi
Fri 17/07/09 at 13:32
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Glad you got it up and running by yourself Digi :D Persistence will always get you there in the end with IT.
Fri 17/07/09 at 13:22
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Digi.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 17/07/09 at 12:20
Regular
Hi Hmmm
Yeah no probs you will finf the site here

Make a mobile web site

Digi

Hmmm... wrote:
> Digitrader wrote:
> Ok the site I found...
>
>
> Hi Digi,
> Are you able to give us the name of the 'mobile' site you found
> useful - in case it is for others?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Search Freeola
> Chat
Fri 17/07/09 at 08:40
"Are you sure?"
Digitrader wrote:
> Ok the site I found...

Hi Digi,
Are you able to give us the name of the 'mobile' site you found useful - in case it is for others?

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 17/07/09 at 07:57
Regular
Update ....
Ok the site I found gives me the option to download the files in .asp or .html or.php so this is what I have done and just uploaded them myself into the sub domain and its all working just grand now on Ipod and mobile phone, and now that I have the files on my pc I can adit them easier than using the online tool

Digi
Fri 17/07/09 at 07:04
Regular
Hi Luke
OK a found a site that allows you to build the mobile site and I created the sub domain (as we are a broadband customer with Freeola) when I have the site built it then asks if I want to host it whith them (free for 60 days) or if I want to host it on my own space (this is the option I choose) I then put my server details in and when it tests the conection it says "unable to connect" but the details are correct is this because the site trying to upload wont be a freeola customer? is it as simple as that? and how do we resolve this.

Digi
Fri 17/07/09 at 06:06
Regular
Thanks Luke M I have created the sub domain and now working on the other bits and bobs. many thanks

Digi
Wed 15/07/09 at 12:36
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Digitrader wrote:
> Ok what is the easiest way to convert an existing site to make it
> veiwable on a mobile device?
>
> I notice now that many site have a dedicated mobile site like
> facebook and ebay to name but 2 and they have an address that
> starts m. is this some thing that Freeola support or plan to
> support in the future and is it worth doing.
>
> Digi

There are a few sites that can read your RSS feeds and change them into web pages such as http://www.mofuse.com.

They require you to make a few changes to DNS records, but after that they can redirect mobile users automatically to your mobile version of the site.

Freeola allows you to create sub domains from your MyFreeola control panel such as m.yoursite.com, they do however require separate hosting folders, so if you are not a broadband or dial-up customer that would require you to sign up for a VIP Hosting account for it, or you can point the sub domain to an external IP or host name. Point to an external IP would work with solutions such as mofuse.com.

This is all applicable to normal hosted sites, as for InstantPro, you could add a sub domain still and point to another mobile version of your site, however it would not replicate your InstantPro. Who knows what Freeola has planned for future versions of InstantPro though?!

Edit: I have refreshed my memory how MoFuse and such services are set up, a CNAME record (under the sub domains section of MyFreeola) needs to be added to the domain to point towards your MoFuse address, this will point m.yoursite.com to the address. For automatic redirection there is a wordpress plugin if you run a blog, otherwise there is a small PHP snippet which can be used to sense mobile users and automatically redirect them.
Wed 15/07/09 at 12:27
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I am not entirely sure to be honest. I imagine there are differences. I'll try and get someone who knows to post for you.
Wed 15/07/09 at 12:03
Regular
Ok what is the easiest way to convert an existing site to make it veiwable on a mobile device?

I notice now that many site have a dedicated mobile site like facebook and ebay to name but 2 and they have an address that starts m. is this some thing that Freeola support or plan to support in the future and is it worth doing.

Digi

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.