GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"something old but now NEW"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/03/01 at 20:04
Regular
dont you just hate the boring old same topics day-in day-out! well here you go, something I did a long time ago that everyone should like to read:

SCREENSHOTS.have fun.

If anyone looked closely at the Nintendo news this week you may have noticed that Robocop has been confirmed for the GC, I was intrigued and clicked on the link and saw the first screen shoots of a game that has been in development since 1998, these screenshots were amazing..they were simply the best I have ever seen of an in game shoot.

Many of the pictures you see nowadays in magazines are of the video kind are part of the promo and not within the actual game. These Robocop pictures were stunning pictures of ingame action...

...but as graphics get better and better, as resolution gets better and better, as vector based pixels get smaller and smaller what is the outcome for the rest of the game??

I dont want to have a game with just '''the best graphics'''

I want a game with the best gameplay, the best ideas and the most original format, but then nearly all formats have been tested in games, I suppose what hasn't been done is RPG/First Person/Shooter??
(But then again what kind of a game would that be?)

I dont like the screenshots in magazines, they give you something to look at, they give you something to talk about but they dont give the reader the right information!

Take Nintendo Official Magazine for instance:

'The images show that Conkers Bad Fur Day looks set to be one of the biggest games of the year'

How the hell can this be told from screenshots when I know for definate that NOM haven't tested a copy!?!

People are talking about MGS2 and how amazing it is going to be? What are they going on? Screenshots and a little promo movie.

People should need to play the game to be excited.

Im not going to stop looking at screenshots but next time you look at the photos in a magazine just think about where they have come from.

Thanks
er-no
Sun 11/03/01 at 13:25
Regular
I think even from a video clip you cant tell how good a games going to be. All a video does is link a few screenshots together and adds soem sound, you dont really get a feel for hor immersive the gameplay is, or how the controls feel and important stuff like that.
Sun 11/03/01 at 13:20
Regular
Screenshots are more reliable most of the time, but don't show the game in full motion like a video does.
Sun 11/03/01 at 13:18
Regular
thanks a lot, its quite an honour to be congratulated from someone like yourself mate.
Sun 11/03/01 at 12:58
I was about to mention audio's importance by referencing "Thief" myself, but I see someone's already beaten me to it. Good job, Your Honour.
Sun 11/03/01 at 11:26
Regular
I think i see what you are saying mate.
Sun 11/03/01 at 11:23
Regular
"everyone says it"
yes but it can make or break a game which is relying on the sound for the gameplay to be decent. hard to explain without typing hundreds of words.

Sun 11/03/01 at 11:05
Regular
if it can make or break a game then surely its not the least important. or so logic would tell me anyway.
Sun 11/03/01 at 11:03
Regular
"everyone says it"
The sound is F-Zero X is so good! It makes that game worthwhile, also you need sound in a horror game, I dont need to explain why just next time you are watching a scary movie, put mute on and its not scary at all!

Sound is probably the least important but it can make or break a game!
Sun 11/03/01 at 10:57
Regular
sound can be the weakest part, it depends on the genre. For a game like Thief it's of the utmost importance, for driving its medium importance and for plaformers it doesnt really matter.

in my opinion.
Sun 11/03/01 at 10:34
"possibly impossible"
Taken to replying to yourself now er-no? :)

Graphics do help some games and will help all games to sell because there are still a lot of people that don't read reviews or know the first thing about a game, but have money burning in their pockets and an eye for a pretty game. While this still happens, game companies will still focus on graphics.

Anyway, you can have a good game and make it better with better graphics, so it's really just that games companies should take more time to find the right balance. That's why there are separate divisions between coding the game and the artistic side of the game. That way a company can spend just as long on one part as the other. If a game is still crap, but looks nice, it's just that the graphic designers have done a good job and the programmers haven't.

Anyway, I think sound is the weakest part of the game.

Sound, you are the weakest link, goodbye!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.