GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Worst Special effect in a movie."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/11/03 at 11:02
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
A few to get you started.

D.N.A
---------

About 45 minutes into the film there is a helicopter crash that rips off the lander crash from “Aliens”. Only this one looks like the chopper is bounced along the model set by its tail by an off screen technician. One of the most appalling effects shots I have ever seen, and worth renting the film specifically for this. The fact that the actor is plainly in front of a poor quality blue screen doesn’t help mind.

Die Another Day.
---------------------

Two from this turkey.

When Bond is in the ice speeder (correct phrase? Whatever) and deploys the parachute. When the speeder flies off the cliff face, it is obviously a miniature with NO WEIGHT BEHIND IT WHATSOEVER.

Just after this scene when Bond is surfing on said parachute. The CGI makes the whole thing laughable.

The Hunted
--------------

When Tommy Lee Jones is falling down the waterfall. Again, the cgi is so bad it is laughable. It looks like an animated brush being moved by someone with a mouse.

So what are yours? Age should not be taken into account. What I’m looking for is shots that have taken you out of the film completely like the above for example. Something like “Jason and the Argonaughts” I feel is exempt. The stop frame skeletons are admittedly dated, but they are nowhere near as jarring as the examples listed above IMHO.
Sat 08/11/03 at 12:08
Regular
"\\"
Blade has some pretty crap effects when the vamps exploded from that stuff, spoilt the whole film for me.
Fri 07/11/03 at 18:55
Regular
LXG.

No more need be said.

And Die Another Day. I read someone once that the surfing bit near the end looks like a 'Graham Norton Stint"

Ah...it's so true.
Fri 07/11/03 at 07:57
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Breakdance Electric Boogaloo 2
>
> Guy falls down steps after running away with some guys lunchbox (the
> type you keep food in) , the camera flips to what is clearly a shot
> of a fat guy with tons of padding up his jumper rolling down some
> stairs. Really is hilarious.
>
> If you've seen this film then I salute you.

Yep, I've seen it. Linda Blair (Excorist) starring isn't it?
.........No, hadon, thats Roller Boogie.
Thu 06/11/03 at 23:58
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Dirty Harry, when that naked woman is shot and she falls over the balcony. Makes me laugh everytime, it's like a blow-up doll!
Thu 06/11/03 at 23:54
Regular
Breakdance Electric Boogaloo 2

Guy falls down steps after running away with some guys lunchbox (the type you keep food in) , the camera flips to what is clearly a shot of a fat guy with tons of padding up his jumper rolling down some stairs. Really is hilarious.

If you've seen this film then I salute you.
Thu 06/11/03 at 20:55
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
In rear window when the protagonist is gets chucked out his home window and you are meant to see him fall to the ground but it is terrible. Like REALLY bad although it is 49 years old so I'll let it off.
Thu 06/11/03 at 17:42
Regular
"That's right!"
Yeah, for some reason they didn't animate his arms with the rest of his body, so they don't get much smaller.

And, yes, it does look terrible. But Robo and the ED-209 looked great.
Thu 06/11/03 at 16:56
Regular
"you've got a beard"
FInal scene in Robocop, when he shoots Dick Jones out of the window.
During his fall, Dick seems to have grown outrageously long arms and is REALLY badly pasted onto the background, HUGE thick black lines, almot as bad as Luke in the Rancor pit in Return of the Jedi....
Thu 06/11/03 at 15:17
Regular
"That's right!"
"I think the "semi-invisible" predator effect looks a bit crap."

Ummm.... the predator cloaking effect looks amazing. Fair enough, when he goes from cloaked to normal it looks a bit pants in the first film, but when he's cloaked it looks great, and it cost a bomb to do it. It'll be CGI in the AvP film though...

Worst effects? Too many to name, and as some of you may remember, I'm the guy who bitched about Lord of the Rings having bad CGI, so it's a great achievement if I don't complain about ANY film.
Thu 06/11/03 at 14:32
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Congo - the gorillas were people in suits, and this was a film made in the 1990's. Doh.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.