GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario Kart Double Dash Impressions.... IT CAME!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/11/03 at 18:28
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Yes, finally after all these years Mario Kart Double Dash has now arrived, i've played it for quite a while and will try and answer any questions that need answering! So is Mario Kart Double Dash a let down? Or Gamecube's Killer title? Find out now!

Graphics;

Bright, Colourful tracks which never really go under par, but i can say some of the tracks aren't as fantastic graphic wise as i thought they would be! The Karts and Characters look perfect and most race tracks like Donkey Kong Jungle is Superb! It's certainly looks like a Nintendo Game, but the graphics aren't as good as Mario Golf for example.The battle mode graphics slightly fall, and the whole game looks more terrific when playing one player! 8/10

Controls;

Always trust Nintendo that's my moto, the controls are identical to the last mario kart games, but there are some differences that don't effect the gameplay at all. Now two players are in one kart it's important that you start correctly, The back player gives a quick push and jumps on when the start flag goes, except this time i found it better to press A a couple of times each time a red light flashes, holding down A all the way through will make your Kart have a terrible start! When driving, a simple hold of the Z button changes drivers (both players have to press Z together when playing co-op), important when you get the new 2 weapons per crystal and your driver has an important weapon in it's hand so you swap so you can use it! X and Y uses the weapons, and holding down L and R round corners does your corner skid! Driving the Kart is simple you obviously use the control stick! Brilliant for all ages. 10/10

Sound;

Not alot i can say about this really, the music is quirky, the players voices can be heard all over the place shouting when getting hit, or getting annoyed when losing! When your hit by a bomb your back character falls off the Kart and is seen being dragged along the floor screaming which is hilarious! Overall the best sound possible for a game like this! 10/10

Modes;

Grandprix mode is obviously back, but this time with a couple of twists! Now you can choose to play either Co-Op (one person driving the other shooting weapons, and you can change whenever you like) or on your own. After each race you can pick which Race track you want to race on in any order you like! Time attack mode, just see's you beating your best times on any tracks you like! Battle Mode is great now with 2 extra game modes, I haven't played these just yet but i'm guessing one is, a king of the hill type game where you get a shine sprite from Mario Sunshine and have to keep it as long as you can and the other one is battling against each-other with bomb's and the person who kills 3 times wins! 10/10

Tracks;

The graphics on some of the levels in both Grand Prix and Battle mode aren't as good as i expected, however i'm being picky, there still pretty fantastic! The tracks really do make Mario Kart Double Dash a must-buy! There so frantic it's unbeliveable, Donkey Kong Jungle for example see's you driving through a jungle minding your own business and then your chucked in a Barrel and thrown 200mph in the sky, all the way over the the Mountain top in the distance, this is obviously extremly bumpy with massive drops, then you back in Donkey Kong Jungle but it's not over yet, as you skid round an edge of a corner, you quickly have the swirve to the left as there's a huge crack in the track, and then you all pile up on a moving bridge, brilliant! There's so many it's hard to pick out which one is the best, all i can say is the remakes of the N64 versions have been face-lifted and there's loads more obstacles then ever before! I don't want to ruin any more surprises for you, so i'll give you the score. 10/10

Secrets;
I won a different kart when coming first in Co-op mode is 50cc, so i'm guessing you have to come first to open up more tracks, characters and Karts! I believe there's numerous stuff to unlock. 9/10

I HAVE A PROBLEM;

Ok, sorry if i missed anything important out, please ask ANY questions about the game and i'll try to answer them for you!
Sadly i knew it wouldn't be all fantastic (and PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THIS IS MY OPINION) but i'm positive Nintendo said they were going to speed up the game? If this is speeded up i truly don't want to now how slow it was before-hand. Only on 150cc and when you've used a number of Mushroom boosts all at once does the game really speed-up. On 50cc the game is quite slow, considering your doing 62mph, it's bearable without a doubt and it won't ruin any enjoyment at all, but you can't help but think the game could be a whole lot faster! Other then that i have no problems with this game at all, and yes it's better then Mario Kart 64.....

FINAL SCORE IN A PERCENTAGE (not using score above) 98%
Wed 05/11/03 at 18:28
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Yes, finally after all these years Mario Kart Double Dash has now arrived, i've played it for quite a while and will try and answer any questions that need answering! So is Mario Kart Double Dash a let down? Or Gamecube's Killer title? Find out now!

Graphics;

Bright, Colourful tracks which never really go under par, but i can say some of the tracks aren't as fantastic graphic wise as i thought they would be! The Karts and Characters look perfect and most race tracks like Donkey Kong Jungle is Superb! It's certainly looks like a Nintendo Game, but the graphics aren't as good as Mario Golf for example.The battle mode graphics slightly fall, and the whole game looks more terrific when playing one player! 8/10

Controls;

Always trust Nintendo that's my moto, the controls are identical to the last mario kart games, but there are some differences that don't effect the gameplay at all. Now two players are in one kart it's important that you start correctly, The back player gives a quick push and jumps on when the start flag goes, except this time i found it better to press A a couple of times each time a red light flashes, holding down A all the way through will make your Kart have a terrible start! When driving, a simple hold of the Z button changes drivers (both players have to press Z together when playing co-op), important when you get the new 2 weapons per crystal and your driver has an important weapon in it's hand so you swap so you can use it! X and Y uses the weapons, and holding down L and R round corners does your corner skid! Driving the Kart is simple you obviously use the control stick! Brilliant for all ages. 10/10

Sound;

Not alot i can say about this really, the music is quirky, the players voices can be heard all over the place shouting when getting hit, or getting annoyed when losing! When your hit by a bomb your back character falls off the Kart and is seen being dragged along the floor screaming which is hilarious! Overall the best sound possible for a game like this! 10/10

Modes;

Grandprix mode is obviously back, but this time with a couple of twists! Now you can choose to play either Co-Op (one person driving the other shooting weapons, and you can change whenever you like) or on your own. After each race you can pick which Race track you want to race on in any order you like! Time attack mode, just see's you beating your best times on any tracks you like! Battle Mode is great now with 2 extra game modes, I haven't played these just yet but i'm guessing one is, a king of the hill type game where you get a shine sprite from Mario Sunshine and have to keep it as long as you can and the other one is battling against each-other with bomb's and the person who kills 3 times wins! 10/10

Tracks;

The graphics on some of the levels in both Grand Prix and Battle mode aren't as good as i expected, however i'm being picky, there still pretty fantastic! The tracks really do make Mario Kart Double Dash a must-buy! There so frantic it's unbeliveable, Donkey Kong Jungle for example see's you driving through a jungle minding your own business and then your chucked in a Barrel and thrown 200mph in the sky, all the way over the the Mountain top in the distance, this is obviously extremly bumpy with massive drops, then you back in Donkey Kong Jungle but it's not over yet, as you skid round an edge of a corner, you quickly have the swirve to the left as there's a huge crack in the track, and then you all pile up on a moving bridge, brilliant! There's so many it's hard to pick out which one is the best, all i can say is the remakes of the N64 versions have been face-lifted and there's loads more obstacles then ever before! I don't want to ruin any more surprises for you, so i'll give you the score. 10/10

Secrets;
I won a different kart when coming first in Co-op mode is 50cc, so i'm guessing you have to come first to open up more tracks, characters and Karts! I believe there's numerous stuff to unlock. 9/10

I HAVE A PROBLEM;

Ok, sorry if i missed anything important out, please ask ANY questions about the game and i'll try to answer them for you!
Sadly i knew it wouldn't be all fantastic (and PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THIS IS MY OPINION) but i'm positive Nintendo said they were going to speed up the game? If this is speeded up i truly don't want to now how slow it was before-hand. Only on 150cc and when you've used a number of Mushroom boosts all at once does the game really speed-up. On 50cc the game is quite slow, considering your doing 62mph, it's bearable without a doubt and it won't ruin any enjoyment at all, but you can't help but think the game could be a whole lot faster! Other then that i have no problems with this game at all, and yes it's better then Mario Kart 64.....

FINAL SCORE IN A PERCENTAGE (not using score above) 98%
Wed 05/11/03 at 18:34
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Only a week to go now.

Sounds good.
Wed 05/11/03 at 18:35
Regular
"Whatever!"
Yep - Cant wait! Must be my most anticipated game of the year
Wed 05/11/03 at 18:38
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
You give it 98%?

My highest ever review score for any game was 95%... im gonna stick my neck out here and say that you love DD :p
Wed 05/11/03 at 19:04
"cheerios"
Oh god, now i really can't wait for this game anymore... :( *wow 98%*
Wed 05/11/03 at 19:08
Regular
"Baros!!!"
The only reason I got a Gamecube was for games like Mario Kart:DD and I've had to wait over a year for it.

Was also looking forward to Perfect Dark, until RARE decided to leave and go elsewhere.

Oh well, not long to go now.
Wed 05/11/03 at 19:09
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I automatically reduce the score to 91% due to these being first-day opinions.
Wed 05/11/03 at 20:18
Regular
How'd you know it won't grow on him though?
Wed 05/11/03 at 20:20
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
I'm pleased to announce that the graphics get SUPERB (and i mean SUPERB) when you win the fourth tournament! The first two tracks are AMAZING, It makes me think now that i might of been too harsh with the graphical side of things, but then again this tournament (that features, a dinosaur track) makes some of the other tracks plain and boring, FANTASTIC!

Oh and don't lower the score on first impressions this time, this game rocks and your going to LOVE it! Best Gamecube game? Probably.
Wed 05/11/03 at 20:24
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Yeah, it probably is the best Gamecube game, I just think that 98% is a stupidly high rating. I'd wager the minor errors you mention put it more than 2% off perfection, even if they are minor.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.