GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles Vs PCs"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/03/01 at 00:15
Regular
Many people regard online Quake 3 Arena as the ultimate On-Line experience. Many disagree. But in general there are lots of pros and cons for each system. PC games have the ability, to show excellent graphics, run fast games, and provide the ultimate in gaming experience. They are generally a lot faster than Consoles and even my 4 year old PII 450 could out power Nintendo's Gamecube which runs @ 405MhZ. But there is a big factor in the quality of PC games...The PC. Most people have average PC's. I would estimate that the average power of a pC nowadays is about 500, purely because we have gone from 500 to 1500 in a flash! But back to the point, The ability of a PC has pretty much all the say in how that game runs. Consoles don't have any trouble with this you don't need to upgrade your PS2 to play MGS2. Whether you have a Playstation 2 running on a new Sony Wide-Screen or your Grans old Black and White technicolour TV the consoles grphics are not affected, that is contrary to the views of some people who have still got their grans TV! So in that way I feel that Consoles are better. Whether you're rich or poor, if you have a Dreamcast you have a Dreamcast, they are both just as good as each other and the scales are not tipped in anyway when it comes to on-line gaming. Even Steven...all the way. But as we said earlier PC's all around the world have different ping rates and gaming isn't quite as fair.

Of course the good thing about PCs is that you can get them upgraded anytime you want, you can get extra RAM for quite reasonable prices nowadays and new graphics cards aren't to costly either. But having said this if you want to upgrade your whole PC this can cost you the price of a Console and more! Would you rather be able to finish of your home work and then load Unreal Tournament on your PC or shut down your Mac and stick RRV in your PS2. It is all down to preferance, but in terms of costs to get the right PC peripherals and decent ones at that can start to break the bank.

The peripherals of the two are very different. I mean consoles tend to have add-ons with the execption of the N64 4MB expansion and I am sure others most console peripherals stick in the back of the pad. Console games seem a hell of a lot easier to work. What I like about the N64 was that you could stick a cart in turn the game on and you were playing in no time. But with PCs, depending whether you're already on it or not, you have to wait until the game loads which can take quite a while even in comparison to the Playstation or Saturn!

I like consoles. My PC, isn't very fit where gaming is concerned and my 999 ping rate can stay away for good from now on, but I do have a choice. I can either get my PC upgraded, or I can get a dreamcast, 128bit, super games and more. I am not saying that PC games are poor I am meerly saying that I prefer consoles because like with a good exchange rate you can get a hell of a lot more for your money. And your investment won't be in vain because Dreamcast can't and doesn't need to be updated. But I guarantee that if you buy a PC Graphics card today, give it a month and you will be seeing the #2 next month. Consoles, play games, that is what they do and they are pretty damn good at it, Consoles do a much simpler, easier and finer job of playing a game than a prehistoric PC card that you brought last week! And that is the way the PC industry is going.

Consoles are the future!

The Game

Sun 11/03/01 at 04:11
I know it's true, Game; I've advocated such an argument before with many others. I was just suggesting that there will ALWAYS be technical discrepencies between players when it comes to online gaming. Having it be console-based does provide a more level base, but the peripheral aspects of online gaming will always keep it from being totally balanced, which is what I believe you stated at one point.
Sat 10/03/01 at 17:14
Regular
"You've upset me"
I'm just finishing up, then I gotta edit it for length
Sat 10/03/01 at 17:12
Regular
i dont blame you, it must be a right pain in the ar$e. Hope you manage to get it done though mate.
Sat 10/03/01 at 17:10
Regular
"You've upset me"
Nah I'm only kidding, I'm just not best pleased about it
Sat 10/03/01 at 17:08
Regular
You're mildly amusing, you should go and appear on "Jim Davidson Presents...."
Sat 10/03/01 at 17:05
Regular
"You've upset me"
**foaming at mouth**

I'll give you amusing, stupid bloody **incoherent mumbling**
Sat 10/03/01 at 17:00
Regular
ok, sorry mate, i just find it all quite amusing thats all!
Sat 10/03/01 at 16:59
Regular
"You've upset me"
shut up
Sat 10/03/01 at 16:58
Regular
hahahahahahaahaha!
Sat 10/03/01 at 16:55
Regular
"You've upset me"
I don't need any help

I'm just pi$$ed off

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.