GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Battlefield 1943"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Battlefield 1943'.
Mon 13/07/09 at 09:15
"possibly impossible"
Downloadable games are getting better and better at the moment, matching full price retail releases for fun and value for money. Battlefield 1943 is one of the latest games to come out on download only for 360 and PS3 and it doesn’t buck the trend at all.

Battlefield 1943 is basically an online multiplayer war game where you take bases from the enemy and try to hold onto them. It’s pretty much the same in theory as most online games with a capture the base mode. In practice though, it just feels much more fluid and fun.

The game pits you as US or Japanese soldiers, you and a bunch of online team mate must use tanks, jeeps and planes as well as travelling on foot to secure a series of 5 bases across a map. With 3 maps to choose from and no other online options or upgrades to weapons it may seem a bit thin on the ground at first. But this is a case of quality over quantity and for £10 it fast becomes clear that the game is a bargain.

Graphically the game holds it’s own against similar retail games. It uses the Frostbite engine last seen in Battlefield Bad Company and this means that buildings are all destructible, adding another level of strategy to the proceedings. The soldiers aren’t anything to write home about and won’t be appearing in Saving Private Ryan 2 anytime soon, which is a pity given the lovely scenery. But when you’re thick in the fight all that matters is that it runs and a good pace with little slowdown, even when everything is blowing up around you.

Being multiplayer only (with a tutorial mode should you need it) the other important aspect is finding a game and how easy it is to connect. Well the PS3 version is actually very good. I was impressed how quickly I could get into a game and it has full support for friends lists and invites from ingame or the Playstation XMB. Being a hard drive based game it loads pretty quickly too.

EA have promised a raft of extras to download, starting with the Coral Sea map when players reach a certain number of kills on both platforms. More DLC will appear soon after, most of which will require extra funds, but it’s an interesting new way to pay for a game, just buying those maps you need and saving money elsewhere. In short, you’ll either love or loathe this idea of micropayments, but it works for this game.

So do I recommend Battlefield 1943? Yes. If you love online battle games and particularly those set during the second world war this is great fun for a small price. It may be lacking in options, but it makes up for it in fun and instant action.

8/10
Mon 13/07/09 at 09:15
"possibly impossible"
Downloadable games are getting better and better at the moment, matching full price retail releases for fun and value for money. Battlefield 1943 is one of the latest games to come out on download only for 360 and PS3 and it doesn’t buck the trend at all.

Battlefield 1943 is basically an online multiplayer war game where you take bases from the enemy and try to hold onto them. It’s pretty much the same in theory as most online games with a capture the base mode. In practice though, it just feels much more fluid and fun.

The game pits you as US or Japanese soldiers, you and a bunch of online team mate must use tanks, jeeps and planes as well as travelling on foot to secure a series of 5 bases across a map. With 3 maps to choose from and no other online options or upgrades to weapons it may seem a bit thin on the ground at first. But this is a case of quality over quantity and for £10 it fast becomes clear that the game is a bargain.

Graphically the game holds it’s own against similar retail games. It uses the Frostbite engine last seen in Battlefield Bad Company and this means that buildings are all destructible, adding another level of strategy to the proceedings. The soldiers aren’t anything to write home about and won’t be appearing in Saving Private Ryan 2 anytime soon, which is a pity given the lovely scenery. But when you’re thick in the fight all that matters is that it runs and a good pace with little slowdown, even when everything is blowing up around you.

Being multiplayer only (with a tutorial mode should you need it) the other important aspect is finding a game and how easy it is to connect. Well the PS3 version is actually very good. I was impressed how quickly I could get into a game and it has full support for friends lists and invites from ingame or the Playstation XMB. Being a hard drive based game it loads pretty quickly too.

EA have promised a raft of extras to download, starting with the Coral Sea map when players reach a certain number of kills on both platforms. More DLC will appear soon after, most of which will require extra funds, but it’s an interesting new way to pay for a game, just buying those maps you need and saving money elsewhere. In short, you’ll either love or loathe this idea of micropayments, but it works for this game.

So do I recommend Battlefield 1943? Yes. If you love online battle games and particularly those set during the second world war this is great fun for a small price. It may be lacking in options, but it makes up for it in fun and instant action.

8/10
Mon 13/07/09 at 16:21
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nice review there pb.

I did notice it was available on Xbox live over the weekend but didn't get chance to try it.Reckon i'll give it a try,sounds fun.
Wed 15/07/09 at 13:37
"possibly impossible"
Thanks Pete.

If you have the spare points, I really recommend it. Plus they've just released the Coral Sea map now on the Xbox game, so even more maps to play on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.