GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Forum/BBoard tracking & detecting user activity"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/11/03 at 17:42
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Re-posted as Mod pointed out the last subject name wasn't very helpful.

Would appreciate any info any of you lot can give on this topic.

you know on forums, web blogs etc where multiple users can post comments etc. Well some places give info like who is online, who is viewing the pages, where and when posts are made throughout the day etc.

Firstly I guess there are many ways to do this, anyone know any?

Secondly what other ways are there off detecting users on online communities like this. Visual indicators etc.

I have a project to do at uni and first thing I have to do is to find out the various ways of detecting users in online communities and the different ways that this information is used.

Thanks if you can give some info on this.
Fri 07/11/03 at 11:07
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
www.phpbbhacks.com
Thu 06/11/03 at 18:19
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thanks for the info...
Wed 05/11/03 at 07:33
Regular
hotscripts.com - You will find something there!

I used one of these on my web-site for a while, its only worth using if you get alot of visitors, otherwise it makes you feel depresed!

But there are PHP scripts which can handle it, or if you know PHP, you could just get a forum script and edit it to make an interface of a web-site. I have seen this done quite a few times, it works quite well!
Mon 03/11/03 at 17:53
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for reposting, and just to prove some of the other users of this forum wrong here's a reply using my Mod! account...

For your uni project you could consider the many ways of tracking website activity. Some blatently display the number of visitors while others do it quietly.

Something like the SSI/CGI solution from www.xav.com gives the owner many statistics. Most importantly the 'referal' data - whether the visitor came from a link or by using a search engine. Many hosts also provide weblogs where the owner can anylize the data in a similar way.

There are lots of products (and ways) that can produce similar results - some showing who is actually online (as per your query). Searching on GOOGLE for visitor tracking etc. will give you lots to go on...

Thanks again -
Mod!
Mon 03/11/03 at 17:42
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Re-posted as Mod pointed out the last subject name wasn't very helpful.

Would appreciate any info any of you lot can give on this topic.

you know on forums, web blogs etc where multiple users can post comments etc. Well some places give info like who is online, who is viewing the pages, where and when posts are made throughout the day etc.

Firstly I guess there are many ways to do this, anyone know any?

Secondly what other ways are there off detecting users on online communities like this. Visual indicators etc.

I have a project to do at uni and first thing I have to do is to find out the various ways of detecting users in online communities and the different ways that this information is used.

Thanks if you can give some info on this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.