GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How To… Survive a terrorist attack"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/11/03 at 14:20
Regular
Mindfrig’s Master Class #1
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
How To…Survive a terrorist attack:

You are sat in the warm airport waiting for a flight; everyone is wearing light summer clothing except one man who is immersed in a zipped up jacket that is bulging slightly. His eyes are closed and he appears to be praying, beads of sweat are forming on his forehead. You say nothing because you don’t want to be rude or offend the man but before you know what has is happening he opens his jacket to reveal a vest of dynamite and presses the detonator. You are now dead because you are stupid. You saw the man wearing the jacket in warm weather but you didn’t do anything about it because you were afraid of offending someone. You HAVE to be aware and not be afraid of taking action when you have an inkling your life may be threatened.

Osama Bin Laden’s successor will try and increase the body count of September 11th when he strikes, it could be in New York or it could just as well be London. Terrorist has no rules: either fight back or die.

The first thing you need to learn is to become more alert, be aware of your surroundings. The terrorists of 9-11 knew they were going to die and were scared. Someone sat beside them on the plans. Those passengers may have been able to save the planes and the buildings if they were aware enough to know something was wrong. The first rule of survival is to see terror coming. If a man walks into a restaurant in a raincoat and it isn’t raining and you see bulges in the rain coat, get up and walk out. You may walk out 25 times and the 26th time “BOOM!” everyone is dead. If someone walks into a restaurant, puts down a briefcase and walks out again, get together your family and friends and walk out immediately then call the restaurant and alert them of a possible bomb. Don’t just jump up and yell “BOMB!” because you will cause a panic and if it isn’t a bomb the restaurant will lose thousands of pounds and could well sue you.

If terrorists throw down a hand grenade in front of you, you’ll be killed by flying shrapnel piecing vital organs or your head. Seek shelter behind a chair or table in the few second before the grenade goes off, this lowers the chances of your getting hit. If there is no cover, fall face-down with your feet facing the coming explosion, pull your elbows into your sides to protect vital organs and cover your ears. Change from a 6ft-tall standing target into a small 10-inch box on the ground. The blast could miss you entirely or flying shrapnel could hit the soles of your shoes, at worst you could lose your feet but you will survive.

Another type of terrorist method becoming more frequent is suicide bombing. When faced with a suicide bomber you must first determine what type of detonation control he has. A remote control detonator looks similar to the button held by a professional photographer; pressing the button causes explosion. You must grab his thumb so he cannot press the button, break it, bite it, however you can disable his thumb and dislodge the remote control from his hand will be successful. The ‘Dead Man’s Switch’ is similar to the safety pin on a grenade. If the terrorist is shot, killed, or releases his grip on the button, the bomb goes off. Under no circumstances let him let go of the switch or open his hand.

As a last resort, if you’re behind a suicide bomber and cannot see what kind of detonator he is using, you must use him as a cushion to save your life and the lives of others. First grab the hand with the detonator in then kick him with your strongest leg (for most people this will be their right leg) in the back of the corresponding knee of the terrorist. Then you must fall on top of him as he goes down, the explosion will go off underneath him and his body will protect yours. You will probably be thrown 50 feet in the air, break a few ribs and limbs and get second degree burns, but you will survive. A soldier in Israel used this technique to stop a suicide bomber in a café and he survived.

It is best to catch a bomber before it comes to an armed struggle. The same goes for hijackers, watch out for telltale signs. Someone wearing an expensive looking suit and a military watch, highly nervous passengers, people who carry neither luggage or carry-on bags, someone with normal clothes but military boots or general strange behaviour. Tell someone in charge, it could save your life. Be most on guard at the beginning of the flight, most hijackings occur within 20 minutes of takeoff and the plane is full of fuel.

You must not be unnerved by scare tactics, control your breathing and heart rate. The first thing the terrorists will be is stab a few passengers and shake the blood onto other nearby passengers – this is to control you with terror. The terrorists then herd everyone to the back of the plane. Why? Because they’re afraid of passengers rushing and overpowering them. There are many more passengers than hijackers. Do not go to the back of the plane, do so and you and everyone else are probably dead. You must take back the aircraft.

Assess the threat, assume leadership, designate help and take action. How many hijackers are there and how many weapons? Where are they on the aircraft? You are all leaders. What do people do when a leader gets up? They follow. Tell someone to help you. “You two guys grab him whilst we get the other one.” People will follow you and you must take back the aircraft at all costs. What about hostages? Would you risk the life of a stewardess? How about the life of your wife or child? Could you rush the terrorists if they have your 8 year old son and they tell you if anyone moves they will cut his throat?

You must, because if you don’t he is going to die anyway. In a hijacking passengers are divided into hostages and victims. Terrorists kill victims to scare and control you. If you have a loved one taken hostage, their best chance of survival is to fight back. Look for ordinary items than can be used as weapons. Prepare in advance. Always bring a hardback book, a newspaper, keys and a pen and ask for a blanket and two unopened soda cans when you get on the plane. Keep a fairly heavy bag under your seat. These weapons can save your life.

When the terrorist comes down the aisle, as soon as he passes you throw the blanket in his face so he can’t see, then knee him in the spine. Pull him down and strangle him with the blanket until you can get another passenger to help you restrain him. Wrap the blanket around your forearm and you can block knife slashes. Hold the blanket out and catch the arm of the terrorist as he slashes. Then hold the knife, then hold the knife arm wrapped up while other passengers take him down. A hardback book can block any stabbing attack. A heavy book can smash a hijacker’s nose, collar bone, Adam’s apple or back of his head.

Always get two unopened cans. A full can thrown at someone’s temple can kill him. It can smash a terrorist’s nose, kneecap or head. If everyone throws a full soda can at a terrorist he will be pelted to death. A full drinks can in a blanket can be swung as a mace. A newspaper folded once or twice and stuck under your shirt is body armour strong enough to stop most knife stabs. A rolled paper becomes extremely hard and can be used to smash the nose or stop heart by hitting the arteries on the side of the neck. Stab a pen into a terrorist’s eye, hand, throat, anywhere. Stab him again and again until he is the victim. Keys can be stabbed through a terrorist’s ear into his eardrum, gouge out his eyes or even cut his throat. A leather belt wrapped around your arm can stop knife slashes or can be swung as a flail. Smash the buckle into the terrorist’s face. Belts can be used to strangle and also to tie up the terrorist once they’re disarmed and unconscious. A swarm of female passengers can take off their high-heeled shoes and beat the terrorists with the weighty heel. They will be knocked out or killed. A heavy bag kept under your seat can be used to block knife slashes and can be thrown to trip a terrorist.

An undercover Air Marshall may attempt to take back the plane. If that happens, keep your head down or you could accidentally be shot or killed. Be prepared to recover and shoot the Air Marshall’s gun if he is injured, otherwise the terrorists have another weapon. When firing a gun the most important thing is aiming. Try this quick exercise: hold up your index finger to a spot on the wall, close on eye then the other. Looking with one eye your finger will appear to jump whilst with the other eye it will stay on target. The eye that does not jump is the one you should aim with. Keep your eye on the front sight of the gun (a little bump just above the hole the bullet exits from) and align that with your target.

In the end, the only way terrorist can be stopped is if ordinary people start fighting back. We have to make it more dangerous for the terrorists than for their victims.
Mon 03/11/03 at 19:50
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Mi/\\/dfrig wrote:
>Duck and cover.

YES SIR!
Mon 03/11/03 at 18:58
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
FantasyMeister wrote:

> I thought eliminating the threat was better than
> the possiblity of him hi-jacking an aeroplane in the future.

or even a classroom full of kids! (hope you gave that terrorist a good stabbing)
Mon 03/11/03 at 18:31
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
b銊ánt wrote:
> was he a terrorist?

I've no idea, but I thought eliminating the threat was better than the possiblity of him hi-jacking an aeroplane in the future.
Mon 03/11/03 at 17:35
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> I just stabbed my Stats and IT tutor in the eye with a Bic (Blue)
> because he walked into the class suspiciously.
>
> Did I do good?

Yes, anyone who is good at maths is a potential threat.
Mon 03/11/03 at 16:20
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> I just stabbed my Stats and IT tutor in the eye with a Bic (Blue)
> because he walked into the class suspiciously.
>
> Did I do good?

was he a terrorist?
Mon 03/11/03 at 13:19
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I just stabbed my Stats and IT tutor in the eye with a Bic (Blue) because he walked into the class suspiciously.

Did I do good?
Mon 03/11/03 at 09:03
"Mimmargh!"
Mi/\\/dfrig wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Cool, now i know how to aim a gun.
>
> One step closer to world domination...

Now if I can master mind control like Yuris Revenge....

*releases brutes on Soviet tanks*
Sun 02/11/03 at 22:56
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I thought:

A swarm of female passengers can take off their high-heeled shoes and beat the terrorists with the weighty heel

Was easily the funniest. How people 'swarm' in single file down an airliner walkway is beyond me, not to mention how they all suddenly take off their shoes...
Sun 02/11/03 at 22:47
Regular
Mi/\\/dfrig wrote:
>If everyone throws a full soda can at a terrorist he will be pelted to death.

That is one of the funniest things I have read in a while :D
Sun 02/11/03 at 22:29
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
cookie monster wrote:
> Cool, now i know how to aim a gun.

Remember to aim for the centre of the mass you're firing at - another bit of info negelected here - increase chance of a hit.

Of course the other bit of info missing is that firing a gun in an in-flight airliner is not a good idea, one bullet in the wrong place and you'll depressurise the entire plane, and depending on altitude, kill everyone on board except the pilots.

Another thing to bare in mind, again absent here, is that all international airliners and (in the US domestic) have reinforced cabin doors which are kept shut and locked during flight. You could use a shotgun at point blank range and the door will hold, it'll even take the blast of a grenade (the rest of the plane won't though....). In addition airline pilots are now trained to never open that door no matter what.

We always prepare for the last attack strangely.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.