GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Do We Do It??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/03/01 at 21:56
Regular
Suprisingly, I was doing some thinking last night, and my thoughts turned to gaming, as they do quite a lot. But it wasn't what I normally think about when I think about gaming, instead, it was this question I ended up wondering myself to sleep with.

Why do we play games?? Why do we love playing games??

Well, there's quite a lot of possibilites, really.

For most people, and nearly all average gamers, it's the fun factor. Of course, if it wasn't fun, then none of us would play games, but hardcore gamers look for more than just 'fun'.
Anyway, what do we classify as 'fun'?? Is it fun if the game's exciting (perhaps racing games, or action parts in shoot 'em ups)?? Is it fun when the game is very tense and quiet (parts of games like MGS, or Perfect Dark)??
Are games fun when they're funny, or just hilarious to play (hmmmm...perhaps games like Smackdown 2 or No Mercy, or maybe games like Crash Team Racing and Mario Karts)??
It's tough one. What do we class as 'fun'? I suppose it comes down to opinion, and what type of games we like, but in my opinion, all games have to have the 'fun' element in it, whatever it may be.

For some gamers it may be determination to complete a game. For instance, I know a friend who's spent years trying to complete Tomb Raider 3, but he gets so frustrated that he never enjoys playing it!!
Everybody wants to complete the game they're playing, especially in shoot 'em ups, or role-playing games. But with games like Gran Turismo 2, completing it isn't all that important.
Completing a game is definitely a factor of why we play games, but perhaps not the most important one.

Perhaps for some people playing games is just something to do when they're bored. It may not be that much fun for them, and they may not like playing games all that much, but they play on them because there's nothing else to do.
I actually know a couple of people like this, including my Dad! He used to stay up in my room playing Brian Lara Cricket, because my baby sister wouldn't go to sleep without him up there!! He didn't watch TV or read a book, but he played games. My Dad plays PC games quite a lot, but he never plays on consoles, unless he was bored and had nothing else to do!!

Overall, I would say it's the fun factor mostly, with the others having their input as well.

It's quite an interesting topic really, and I would like to hear some of your thoughts, on why, we play games.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 09/03/01 at 22:43
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Breaks the montony between Pub closing time and Pub opening times...

Provides alternate wrist exercise...

Beacause I still cant get past the bloody Goblins on Melbourne Houses Hobbit!! (grrr! - I hate those goblins... so much!)
Fri 09/03/01 at 18:15
Yes I just completed Driver2, superb, adrenaline rush.

..calm down, eat food!

watch Simpsons on TV!
Fri 09/03/01 at 09:22
The reason we play games is simple, they're fun! They allow us to accomplish something like getting the bad guys in Driver or defeating Bowser in Mario64! Most people as individuals cant accomplish much on a day to day basis...videogames allow you to have a sense of achievement everytime we complete a level, or beat our mates on ISS Pro. Thats why we do it, because we like winning and a sense of fun and accomplishment!
Fri 09/03/01 at 00:43
Regular
some people pplay games when they have a spare moment or when maybe they are feeling bored. My world however is dominated by computer games. i plan my life around computer games. during weekends i play constant championship manager. during the week i play mostly on my consoles. recently i bought a Snes, and it is really good quality for money. the games only cost £4. i bought mario allstars and killer instinct today. both great games. personally i prefer the old style mario games compared to the 3d style platformers. i love the tacky music. i gives a much bigger sense of "fun" in my opinion anyway.
Fri 09/03/01 at 00:10
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
er-no wrote:

Games. The fun never ends. NEVER ends. Just like the fantasy...

... You mean Final Fantasy, what are we on now MMRCIV? Ha ha ha, but seriously, I only play games because they are fun, that is what they are all about, having fun and enjoying yourself!

The Game
Thu 08/03/01 at 22:31
Regular
"everyone says it"
Why do I play games, well I reckon its because it brings enjoyment, including the 'taking in' side, which is probably the best feeling. You know the one where you are in the game and it doesn't matter if your house falls down around you, you would continue to play the game and 'ssshhhh' the falling walls, the enjoyment is at its best when playing with friends. I took NoMercy to school and took lessons of to play a 40 man rumble, the best fun I have had this week, we laughed and if a game makes you laugh then it cant be a bad thing. Games are made for entertainment, companies shouldn't forget that, when making a game they shouldn't go for the most complex or graphically brilliant, if the gamers enjoy it, then they will play it. I suppose if gaming had a purpose it would be for the hardcore divisions of gamers to have championships and leagues, but I can't see that happening in the near future. meanwhile I am quite sure that everyone of SR is happy playing the game they have on the consoles they brought, I don't like to laugh at people with underacheiving consoles, so I won't (hehe) but if thats what those gamers find fun then, who am I to disagree. I just test the crappy things.

Games. The fun never ends. NEVER ends. Just like the fantasy.
Thu 08/03/01 at 22:28
Regular
"You've upset me"
he has?????
Thu 08/03/01 at 22:25
Regular
Seriously ant has been threatening him on MSN messenger!
Thu 08/03/01 at 22:22
Regular
"You've upset me"
SNIPER wrote:
> I sense bribery from ant to RBS.

**slips SNIPER a wad of cash to shut up**

Bribery!? here?!

HUH thats a bit of a barmy notion...

nah seriously, it's a good piece
Thu 08/03/01 at 22:18
Regular
Playing games?

Passes time I suppose, with them being entertaining.

Seriously though, it's a test of skill, reactions and in many games, exercises our brains ability to solve problems.

Some of us play every now and then.

Others take gaming more seriously and play more often.

Then there's those like me who are completely hooked onto them and face a life of ruin thanks to the damn things!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.