GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Green Mile"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/03/01 at 16:55
Regular
This movie is one of the most moving and well-acted I've ever seen.

The Green Mile is based on the novel by Stephen King, but in my opinion, the movie far exceeds the novel.
It combines comedy, drama and sadness to make this one of the best movies ever!!

Let's start with the plot. Tom Hanks plays the guy in charge of all the prisoners on Death Row, and long with all his co-workers, they look after the prisoners until it is time for then to be executed on the Electric Chair. A new in-mate is in introduced; an 8-ft black man named John Coffing (don't know how to spell the second name!) John was put on Death Row for murdering two little sisters, so you would expect him to be an angry and troublesome guy. But you'd be wrong. John is a very quiet and thoughtful person, who is scared of the dark, and has to have a night-light. But there is more to John, as you will find as the movie progresses.
There are also some nice little sub-plots, like a little mouse that they find, and try to kill. But it soon becomes friends with one of the nice in-mates, and they decide to give it a little house. The mouse also has some party tricks up its sleeve!
Another of these sub-plots is about one of Hanks' co-workers. This guy is what you would call the 'baddie' of the movie. He is very aggresive and horrible to all the in-mates, and as you will find out later in the film, he is an extremely cruel and disgusting person.

This film is a supernatural, spiritual thriller, which is especially cool for a Christian like me.
It's been a long time since I've watched a movie where I've laughed, nearly cried and been so intersted and enticed by a plot.
There are humorous parts with the mouse, and John can be quite amusing some times. Also, early on in the movie, Tom Hanks has a little 'problem'. This amounts to some very laughable scenes.

The acting in this movie is outstanding. Tom Hanks plays his part brilliantly, and the guy who plays John Coffing (he also starred in Armageddon, but I can't remember his name!!), portrays one of the best acting jobs ever.
There are also many other well known actors in this movie, and nobody is disappointing.

There aren't many chances in this movie for special effects, as it is a very easy-going movie, which doesn't have that many fast, exciting parts. But it doesn't really need them. But, when special effects are used, in the Electric Chair scenes for instance (very moving, and may be disturbing for some people), the effects used are excellent, and it all looks very realistic.

The are a couple of tiny flaws though. It is a little long at 3 hours, but it kept me interested, that I never realised how long it had gone on for! Also, some scenes are very disturbing, and it deserves it's 18+ rating. Of course, this isn't neccassarily (I never learnt how to spell neccassarily, or however it is spelt :)) a bad point, but I just felt I should point it out.
That's it for flaws, and this alone shows how brilliant this movie is!

The sound is superb. The music always suits the mood of the scene, and the Electric Chair scened sound very realistic.

Overall, this movie definitely gets 5 stars out of 5. It combines all the elements you need for a good movie, and makes them even better.
If you want a movie that'll keep you interested, emotional and amused, then you should walk, The Green Mile.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 09/03/01 at 18:47
Regular
"Back in black"
well heres a little review of my own:(sorry, but have 2 tell the story init makes it easier!)Set on Death Row in a Southern prison in 1935, The Green Mile is the remarkable story of the cell block’s head guard, who develops a poignant, unusual relationship with one inmate who possesses a magical gift that is both mysterious and miraculous.

"The Green Mile" is told in a flashback narrated by Paul Edgecomb to his friend Elaine Connelly. Edgecomb is now living in an old-age home some six decades after working as the head guard on Death Row at Cold Mountain Penitentiary.

Edgecomb’s tour of duty at Cold Mountain in the Depression-era South included watch over a quartet of killers awaiting their final walk down "The Green Mile," the stretch of green linoleum flooring that took convicts from their jail cells to the electric chair.

Over the years, Edgecomb walked the mile with a variety of cons. He had never before encountered someone like John Coffey, a massive black man convicted of brutally killing a pair of to kill anyone, but his demeanor starkly contrasted with his appearance. Beyond his simple, naive nature and a deathly fear of the dark, Coffey seemed to possess a prodigious, supernatural gift. Edgecomb began to question whether Coffey was truly guilty of murdering the two girls.

As the story unfolds, Paul Edgecomb learns that, sometimes, miracles happen in the most unexpected places. sad in palces but excellnet, 9/10
Fri 09/03/01 at 16:26
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I thought the film adaptation of King's TommyKnockers was a complete disaster.

I don't know why, but his movies always seem to end up with cheap actors, bad production, just overall they never seem to do his books any justice. But I suppose that King himself probably had a lot of say in the production of his earlier adaptations so maybe he's to blame for it.

More recently things have improved, with star actors starting to appear (Tom Hanks is the biggest star you can get in any film, how did they get HIM?).

But it still needs someone with vision to do a good adaptation of a King book. Wes Craven maybe? Speilberg?
Throw in De Niro and a few other great names and it could be a big bucks movie for the studio that makes it....
Fri 09/03/01 at 14:16
"possibly impossible"
The Shawshank redemption is one of the better Stephen King adaptions. I though that the Green Mile was overly long and drawn out and the ending wasn't half as good as the book.

You can have endings that are still good, despite being different. Look at Carrie for instance, another good film with a typically holywood ending. I didn't like it at first, it was done simply to shock. But I've warmed to it now, although I still don't think it's as good as the book's ending.

About the most accurate Stephen King adaptions are the mini-series. The Shining is very close to the original story, but it doesn't have the same shock value that made the film so famous (and it doesn't have Jack either..)

The Stand is my favorite. The book is fantastic and what King has done with the miniseries is wonderful. Mind you, I know some people who still don't like the miniseries, because it goes on for too long. They'd rather see a really cut down version in a film format. But the best news is that The Stand is already out on Region 1 DVD, so it will hopefully head our way soon!
Fri 09/03/01 at 13:53
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I saw The Green Mile and was suitably moved by it. A friend of mine recommended the Shawshank Redemption to me, which I must admit, I prefered over The Green Mile.

-S
Fri 09/03/01 at 09:59
Regular
"not dead"
Ali@specialreserve wrote:
> Ant said: a man named John Coffing (don't know how to spell the
> second name!)

It's like the drink, only not spelled the same.

LOL

Personally I prefer the book. The ending is VERY different.
Fri 09/03/01 at 09:42
Ant said: a man named John Coffing (don't know how to spell the second name!)

It's like the drink, only not spelled the same.
Thu 08/03/01 at 20:20
Ild have to agree, this is a great film! I watched it in the Cinema last year and I wasnt dissapointed, a really enjoyable film!
Thu 08/03/01 at 16:55
Regular
"I like cheese"
This movie is one of the most moving and well-acted I've ever seen.

The Green Mile is based on the novel by Stephen King, but in my opinion, the movie far exceeds the novel.
It combines comedy, drama and sadness to make this one of the best movies ever!!

Let's start with the plot. Tom Hanks plays the guy in charge of all the prisoners on Death Row, and long with all his co-workers, they look after the prisoners until it is time for then to be executed on the Electric Chair. A new in-mate is in introduced; an 8-ft black man named John Coffing (don't know how to spell the second name!) John was put on Death Row for murdering two little sisters, so you would expect him to be an angry and troublesome guy. But you'd be wrong. John is a very quiet and thoughtful person, who is scared of the dark, and has to have a night-light. But there is more to John, as you will find as the movie progresses.
There are also some nice little sub-plots, like a little mouse that they find, and try to kill. But it soon becomes friends with one of the nice in-mates, and they decide to give it a little house. The mouse also has some party tricks up its sleeve!
Another of these sub-plots is about one of Hanks' co-workers. This guy is what you would call the 'baddie' of the movie. He is very aggresive and horrible to all the in-mates, and as you will find out later in the film, he is an extremely cruel and disgusting person.

This film is a supernatural, spiritual thriller, which is especially cool for a Christian like me.
It's been a long time since I've watched a movie where I've laughed, nearly cried and been so intersted and enticed by a plot.
There are humorous parts with the mouse, and John can be quite amusing some times. Also, early on in the movie, Tom Hanks has a little 'problem'. This amounts to some very laughable scenes.

The acting in this movie is outstanding. Tom Hanks plays his part brilliantly, and the guy who plays John Coffing (he also starred in Armageddon, but I can't remember his name!!), portrays one of the best acting jobs ever.
There are also many other well known actors in this movie, and nobody is disappointing.

There aren't many chances in this movie for special effects, as it is a very easy-going movie, which doesn't have that many fast, exciting parts. But it doesn't really need them. But, when special effects are used, in the Electric Chair scenes for instance (very moving, and may be disturbing for some people), the effects used are excellent, and it all looks very realistic.

The are a couple of tiny flaws though. It is a little long at 3 hours, but it kept me interested, that I never realised how long it had gone on for! Also, some scenes are very disturbing, and it deserves it's 18+ rating. Of course, this isn't neccassarily (I never learnt how to spell neccassarily, or however it is spelt :)) a bad point, but I just felt I should point it out.
That's it for flaws, and this alone shows how brilliant this movie is!

The sound is superb. The music always suits the mood of the scene, and the Electric Chair scened sound very realistic.

Overall, this movie definitely gets 5 stars out of 5. It combines all the elements you need for a good movie, and makes them even better.
If you want a movie that'll keep you interested, emotional and amused, then you should walk, The Green Mile.

Thanks for reading, Ant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.