GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Z.O.E Review"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/03/01 at 09:02
Regular
From another site with Radar in the title:

----------

Now, you may find this a little hard to swallow and sure, your hip friend who reckons Akira is the greatest film ever will no doubt rank this amongst his favourite games, even before he has played it, but it's a fact. Z.O.E. is a shallow experience dressed up in some of the finest graphics we've ever seen. It's like the videogame equivalent of a Simpson/Bruckheimer movie - think Top Gun or Days of Thunder - high concept, patronising sentimentalism with little or no real substance. The fact that it can be completed in around six hours (if you skip the numerous cutscenes) may or may not be a bad thing

-----------

But repeat "I'm certainly not buying this for a demo of a game that isn't out for another year at leat"
Thu 08/03/01 at 09:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
From another site with Radar in the title:

----------

Now, you may find this a little hard to swallow and sure, your hip friend who reckons Akira is the greatest film ever will no doubt rank this amongst his favourite games, even before he has played it, but it's a fact. Z.O.E. is a shallow experience dressed up in some of the finest graphics we've ever seen. It's like the videogame equivalent of a Simpson/Bruckheimer movie - think Top Gun or Days of Thunder - high concept, patronising sentimentalism with little or no real substance. The fact that it can be completed in around six hours (if you skip the numerous cutscenes) may or may not be a bad thing

-----------

But repeat "I'm certainly not buying this for a demo of a game that isn't out for another year at leat"
Fri 09/03/01 at 10:02
I think you are missing the point on this somewhat. ZOE has had good reviews across the board, with one or two exceptions (including Daily Radar). Look around and you will see better reviews, trust me. And what's your problem with the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo? If you don't want it then don't play it, simple. It's not a new thing, it's just an added incentive to buy ZOE, good as it is. The original MGS demo came with ISS Pro 98, which they didnt have a problem selling either. Believe it or not, the good people at Konami just want to do something nice for you and keep you interested in MGS2. Why do you think they went to the trouble of the whole online ranking system if the demo is just a cheap marketing ploy?
Fri 09/03/01 at 11:27
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Hey there, calm down my friend.

I don't have "a problem" with the demo, just dont understand why release a demo so early when the game isn't out for another year.
I'll play it at some point, and no doubt be bowled over by it.
It's just, in my personal opinion (being a tad cynical), that by sticking a demo with another game, you are promised to sell more copies of a game.

I don't care if Z.O.E is the best game in the world, I'll rent it and see if I like it 1st.
MGS2 WILL be one of the most innovative and original (even for a sequel) games to grace any console, of this I have no doubt.
I'm not knocking either the demo or MGS2, just fearing that hype may overshadow both games and, when I do get one or both, I'll sit there and think "Oh..but I thought..."

Expectations can reach such a fever pitch that it can only lead to disappointment. The Phantom Menace is a good example, I am a Star Wars kid, grew up with them etc, and was salivating at the thought.
Then the hype kicked in, saw the movie and thought "Oh..."

Same with Z.O.E, MGS2 and Gran Turismo 3.
I read that review and thought "Damn, I thought Z.O.E was supposed to rock", and then wondered if I was looking forward to so much because of the MGS2 demo.
I think, personally (and is just my opinion) that by sticking this demo on, Z.O.E is getting hype and drool not on it's own merits as a stand-alone product.

There are games that slip through the machine. The Getaway seems pretty low profile so far. But Z.O.E, I havent read a review yet that doesn't mention the demo.

I appreciate Z.O.E, from most reviews, is a top mechwarrior-type affair. But not one review has solely mentioned the game, there is always "Demo this" and "Demo that".
I dont feel that allows Z.O.E it's own merits, always overshadowed by Kojima's next masterpiece.

That's all.
Probably is a top game, just leave the demo out of it because it might just push Z.O.E into the realms of hype over content.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.