GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Autopsy (Short Story)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/10/03 at 17:29
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Decided to make this in the Halloween spirit. Sort of different, I tried a new technique in the making of it. Needs some fine tuning, but tell me what you think anyway. Cheers.

Rain hailed down viciously on the windscreen of the car as it moved down the street that was rapidly becoming a river. The window wipers couldn’t do their job quick enough, and little impact circles of water could be seen all over the windshield as the rain pelted into it. The driver - some guy with a long beard - was squinting and straining his eyes for any vision to be able to actually see the road. It was night, and very few people were around, seeking shelter due to the ferocious downpour. The man in the car took his eyes away from the road ahead for a split second, to try and start the air conditioning. He didn’t even see what he hit, but it smashed the car with a goliath force and fractured the window screen, showering the driver with glass. He didn’t stop, fright or cowardice had grabbed hold of his spirit. There was the knowledge that had hit something, and he thought it was probably human. It wasn’t good to hang around, and so he put his foot down on the accelerator and shot off.

“Hey Sam, what have you got for me?” Called out a voice.
The owner of a voice was a middle aged man in a white coat with rubber gloves.
“Well, Harry, that’s just it. No-one actually knows, the Mayor wants you to take a look at it before the Fed’s get here.” replied Sam.
“What are talking about?”
“This.”
Sam was pushing a stainless steel trolley, on top of which was a white sheet covering some form. He whisked away the sheet and Harry let out a gasp of shock at what lay before him. Whatever it was, it wasn’t human. It was about the size of an average one however, and had the same basic build, head in the same place, same amount of legs, arms, ears, eyes, but what was different from humans was its shape. The arms were long, gangly things, and the fingers were also long also, elaborate with sharp claws at the ends. It had 4 fingers and a thumb, the same as humans. It also had a bushy growth of hair on the back of its hand, from the wrist to the knuckles. The legs were smaller, but very muscular - calve muscles as well as hamstrings bulged out of the legs like those on a professional body builder. The feet were long, with curved toes and the same hairy phenomena as that on the hands. There was no genitalia. The chest and stomach were alike to humans as well, however it had no “belly button” and there were no signs of where the umbilical cord could have entered the body. The chest was also muscular, with a clearly defined set of muscles, rather like a six pack. The neck was a short, stumpy thing leading up the to the head, a very bizarre feature. The two huge eyes bulged out of their sockets. The pupils had dilated hugely, and were a deep black, but somehow they appeared bottomless. The nose was an odd feature. There was none, just the openings that are visible on human skulls. The mouth was very peculiar as well - it wasn’t large but nonetheless big. Harry pried it open and saw it was home to many teeth, about one and a half inches long, and razor sharp. There were no signs of molars, just canines. The thing had no hair, just baldness, and the entire body was a dull grey. It reminded Harry of the classic image of a gargoyle.
“What the hell is that?” he murmured.
“Don’t know, that’s what everyone is hoping you will find out. It was found an hour ago by a cop on his beat on 48th street. It looked as it if it has been hit by a car.” Sam motioned to a area on the gargoyle’s (that was how Harry had came to think of it) chest that was darker than the rest. “Anyway, the cop called it in and they have decided to get you to take care of it until the Fed’s get here. Just one thing - don’t cut it up, only surface examinations.”
“Hmmm.” Harry checked to see if it was dead, tentatively placing a gloved hand on the wrist. Nothing, it was stone cold.
“Alright then, I’ll have a go.” said Harry.
“Mind if I watch?” Enquired Sam, earnestly.
“Go ahead.”
“Thanks. I’ll just pop out to make a cup of coffee.”
Harry groaned. “I wish you wouldn’t drink in here, Sam!” he yelled, but it was wasted on the double doors, still swinging back and forth from Sam’s departure.
He turned back to the form on the table. It’s mouth was now shut, but Harry didn’t notice. He ambled across to the side bench and flipped on the radio that was sitting beside the sink. “Sympathy for the Devil” started up by the Rolling Stones.
“I like this one” said Harry to the gargoyle, as he danced across the room. “Music helps me work, you know? Well, you wouldn’t, because your dead!” Harry laughed. He sometimes talked to his “patients”. It was a lonely job this. A lonely and grisly job.

(#Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste# Jagger began.)
Harry began to poke and prod at the gargoyle with his metal implements.

(#I was around when Jesus Christ had His moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate washed his hands and sealed His fate#)
Harry began to look at the hair on the gargoyles hand more closely, and began to cut some off for a sample when he felt a twitch. He started and jumped back.

(#Pleased to meet you hope you guess my name - But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game# Jagger continued, screaming down the microphone.)
Just my imagination, thought Harry, laughing at himself. He walked over to the “corpse” and stroked its palm with a razor, scrapping off skin. He put his fingertips into it as well, to feel the texture of the skin - it was like sand paper. Just as he was about to withdraw it, the formerly lifeless hand made a spasm of motion and grabbed hold of Harry’s fingertips, digging in with its claws. Harry began to bellow….
(#Killed the Tsar and his ministers, Anastasia screamed in vain
I rode a tank held a gen'rals rank when the blitzkrieg#) ….but it was lost, drowned out by the constant music blaring from the radio. He fought savagely with the hand, and then stabbed his razorblade into it. This was a mistake. The gargoyle rose up, twisted its body and slashed Harry’s face with its free hand, then jumped off the steel trolley, scattering metal equipment everywhere on the tiled floor which probably would have made noise apart from Mick Jagger’s incessant… (#Pleased to meet you hope you guess my name. - Oh yeah Ah what's puzzling you is the nature of my game. Oh yeah#)…singing. Harry began to thrash everywhere in his pain, and knocked the Gargoyle off him. It responded by grabbing hold off him with both arms, plunging its teeth into his neck, spinning around so that his jugular was ripped out and a spiral fountain of blood was sent gushing everywhere, as well as the double doors which opened just in time for Sam to receive a splattering of blood straight across his astounded and fearful face…….
(#Let me please introduce myself I'm a man of wealth and taste
And I lay traps for troubadours who get killed before they reach Bombay..#)
……..causing him to drop his coffee on the floor and be frozen to the spot in terror. He watched in slow motion as the mug hit the floor and imploded then exploded, sending dozens of shards everywhere in a 360 degrees angle, as well as the cappuccino which sent its milky froth flying at crazy angles, and the boiling hot liquid all over the floor and on Sam. He didn’t even notice the pain as he was scalded, instead he watched helplessly as the gargoyle looked at him, and then in two bounds cleared the distance between them to 3 feet. It lashed out, with an expression in its eyes of mischievousness, like the cat who likes to play with the mouse before it eats it.
(#Just as every cop is a criminal and all the sinners, Saints
as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need
of some restraint#)
Sam went flying and it the wall, then looked to his shoulder and arm, the first which was ripped open horribly and the second which was hanging off. He gave a yell of rage at the gargoyle that stood there with an expression of surprise. Sam jumped up and pulled the ring out of a nearby fire extinguisher, holding it up with his good arm and using his chin to position the nozzle. When he thought he judged it right he pulled the lever….
(#So if you meet me, have some courtesy have some sympathy and some taste
Use all your well learned politeness or I'll lay your soul to waste#)
…just in time to intercept the creature that was making a leap towards him. It got the full force of cooled carbon dioxide in the face and keeled over. Sam slumped down to his knees, glad to have dispatched this devil beast, but it got up again and despatched him with a few more slashes to the face and neck. It spun round and made its way speedily towards the exit past more bodies on trolleys, one of which was some guy with a long beard and glass fragments in his face. The gargoyle paused momentarily at reception and attacked the secretary, decapitating her cleanly and leading the way for a fire hydrant of blood to gush out of her neck at strike the roof, before it made its way out onto the street, and into the rain.

#Pleased to meet you hope you guess my name, But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game#
Tue 28/10/03 at 17:29
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Decided to make this in the Halloween spirit. Sort of different, I tried a new technique in the making of it. Needs some fine tuning, but tell me what you think anyway. Cheers.

Rain hailed down viciously on the windscreen of the car as it moved down the street that was rapidly becoming a river. The window wipers couldn’t do their job quick enough, and little impact circles of water could be seen all over the windshield as the rain pelted into it. The driver - some guy with a long beard - was squinting and straining his eyes for any vision to be able to actually see the road. It was night, and very few people were around, seeking shelter due to the ferocious downpour. The man in the car took his eyes away from the road ahead for a split second, to try and start the air conditioning. He didn’t even see what he hit, but it smashed the car with a goliath force and fractured the window screen, showering the driver with glass. He didn’t stop, fright or cowardice had grabbed hold of his spirit. There was the knowledge that had hit something, and he thought it was probably human. It wasn’t good to hang around, and so he put his foot down on the accelerator and shot off.

“Hey Sam, what have you got for me?” Called out a voice.
The owner of a voice was a middle aged man in a white coat with rubber gloves.
“Well, Harry, that’s just it. No-one actually knows, the Mayor wants you to take a look at it before the Fed’s get here.” replied Sam.
“What are talking about?”
“This.”
Sam was pushing a stainless steel trolley, on top of which was a white sheet covering some form. He whisked away the sheet and Harry let out a gasp of shock at what lay before him. Whatever it was, it wasn’t human. It was about the size of an average one however, and had the same basic build, head in the same place, same amount of legs, arms, ears, eyes, but what was different from humans was its shape. The arms were long, gangly things, and the fingers were also long also, elaborate with sharp claws at the ends. It had 4 fingers and a thumb, the same as humans. It also had a bushy growth of hair on the back of its hand, from the wrist to the knuckles. The legs were smaller, but very muscular - calve muscles as well as hamstrings bulged out of the legs like those on a professional body builder. The feet were long, with curved toes and the same hairy phenomena as that on the hands. There was no genitalia. The chest and stomach were alike to humans as well, however it had no “belly button” and there were no signs of where the umbilical cord could have entered the body. The chest was also muscular, with a clearly defined set of muscles, rather like a six pack. The neck was a short, stumpy thing leading up the to the head, a very bizarre feature. The two huge eyes bulged out of their sockets. The pupils had dilated hugely, and were a deep black, but somehow they appeared bottomless. The nose was an odd feature. There was none, just the openings that are visible on human skulls. The mouth was very peculiar as well - it wasn’t large but nonetheless big. Harry pried it open and saw it was home to many teeth, about one and a half inches long, and razor sharp. There were no signs of molars, just canines. The thing had no hair, just baldness, and the entire body was a dull grey. It reminded Harry of the classic image of a gargoyle.
“What the hell is that?” he murmured.
“Don’t know, that’s what everyone is hoping you will find out. It was found an hour ago by a cop on his beat on 48th street. It looked as it if it has been hit by a car.” Sam motioned to a area on the gargoyle’s (that was how Harry had came to think of it) chest that was darker than the rest. “Anyway, the cop called it in and they have decided to get you to take care of it until the Fed’s get here. Just one thing - don’t cut it up, only surface examinations.”
“Hmmm.” Harry checked to see if it was dead, tentatively placing a gloved hand on the wrist. Nothing, it was stone cold.
“Alright then, I’ll have a go.” said Harry.
“Mind if I watch?” Enquired Sam, earnestly.
“Go ahead.”
“Thanks. I’ll just pop out to make a cup of coffee.”
Harry groaned. “I wish you wouldn’t drink in here, Sam!” he yelled, but it was wasted on the double doors, still swinging back and forth from Sam’s departure.
He turned back to the form on the table. It’s mouth was now shut, but Harry didn’t notice. He ambled across to the side bench and flipped on the radio that was sitting beside the sink. “Sympathy for the Devil” started up by the Rolling Stones.
“I like this one” said Harry to the gargoyle, as he danced across the room. “Music helps me work, you know? Well, you wouldn’t, because your dead!” Harry laughed. He sometimes talked to his “patients”. It was a lonely job this. A lonely and grisly job.

(#Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste# Jagger began.)
Harry began to poke and prod at the gargoyle with his metal implements.

(#I was around when Jesus Christ had His moment of doubt and pain
Made damn sure that Pilate washed his hands and sealed His fate#)
Harry began to look at the hair on the gargoyles hand more closely, and began to cut some off for a sample when he felt a twitch. He started and jumped back.

(#Pleased to meet you hope you guess my name - But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game# Jagger continued, screaming down the microphone.)
Just my imagination, thought Harry, laughing at himself. He walked over to the “corpse” and stroked its palm with a razor, scrapping off skin. He put his fingertips into it as well, to feel the texture of the skin - it was like sand paper. Just as he was about to withdraw it, the formerly lifeless hand made a spasm of motion and grabbed hold of Harry’s fingertips, digging in with its claws. Harry began to bellow….
(#Killed the Tsar and his ministers, Anastasia screamed in vain
I rode a tank held a gen'rals rank when the blitzkrieg#) ….but it was lost, drowned out by the constant music blaring from the radio. He fought savagely with the hand, and then stabbed his razorblade into it. This was a mistake. The gargoyle rose up, twisted its body and slashed Harry’s face with its free hand, then jumped off the steel trolley, scattering metal equipment everywhere on the tiled floor which probably would have made noise apart from Mick Jagger’s incessant… (#Pleased to meet you hope you guess my name. - Oh yeah Ah what's puzzling you is the nature of my game. Oh yeah#)…singing. Harry began to thrash everywhere in his pain, and knocked the Gargoyle off him. It responded by grabbing hold off him with both arms, plunging its teeth into his neck, spinning around so that his jugular was ripped out and a spiral fountain of blood was sent gushing everywhere, as well as the double doors which opened just in time for Sam to receive a splattering of blood straight across his astounded and fearful face…….
(#Let me please introduce myself I'm a man of wealth and taste
And I lay traps for troubadours who get killed before they reach Bombay..#)
……..causing him to drop his coffee on the floor and be frozen to the spot in terror. He watched in slow motion as the mug hit the floor and imploded then exploded, sending dozens of shards everywhere in a 360 degrees angle, as well as the cappuccino which sent its milky froth flying at crazy angles, and the boiling hot liquid all over the floor and on Sam. He didn’t even notice the pain as he was scalded, instead he watched helplessly as the gargoyle looked at him, and then in two bounds cleared the distance between them to 3 feet. It lashed out, with an expression in its eyes of mischievousness, like the cat who likes to play with the mouse before it eats it.
(#Just as every cop is a criminal and all the sinners, Saints
as heads is tails, just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need
of some restraint#)
Sam went flying and it the wall, then looked to his shoulder and arm, the first which was ripped open horribly and the second which was hanging off. He gave a yell of rage at the gargoyle that stood there with an expression of surprise. Sam jumped up and pulled the ring out of a nearby fire extinguisher, holding it up with his good arm and using his chin to position the nozzle. When he thought he judged it right he pulled the lever….
(#So if you meet me, have some courtesy have some sympathy and some taste
Use all your well learned politeness or I'll lay your soul to waste#)
…just in time to intercept the creature that was making a leap towards him. It got the full force of cooled carbon dioxide in the face and keeled over. Sam slumped down to his knees, glad to have dispatched this devil beast, but it got up again and despatched him with a few more slashes to the face and neck. It spun round and made its way speedily towards the exit past more bodies on trolleys, one of which was some guy with a long beard and glass fragments in his face. The gargoyle paused momentarily at reception and attacked the secretary, decapitating her cleanly and leading the way for a fire hydrant of blood to gush out of her neck at strike the roof, before it made its way out onto the street, and into the rain.

#Pleased to meet you hope you guess my name, But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game#
Wed 29/10/03 at 13:01
Regular
"Not a Jew"
POP!
Wed 29/10/03 at 13:13
Regular
Brilliant :-)

Great atmosphere, especially with the radio. Only minor criticism is the length of the creature desciption.

Other than that, top notch.
Wed 29/10/03 at 13:22
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
I'm going to read this properly at some point, but right now I got as far as "The driver - some guy with a long beard", and thought, 'is that the best you can do?'.

Surely should at least be "The driver - a long bearded man blah blah etc" replace blah blah etc with some additional peripheral info about said driver.

Anyway, like I said, I'll read it properly later.
Wed 29/10/03 at 17:05
Regular
"Not a Jew"
No, the "long beard" is important, as you shall see later. Anyway, I said it needed fine tuning. Cheers, Rickoss.
Wed 29/10/03 at 17:07
Regular
"Not a Jew"
And besides, I didn't want to go into description about the driver, I needed to keep it casual. You should get it in the last paragraph, before the lyrics.
Wed 29/10/03 at 17:11
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
As I stated, you can keep the beard reference. It's the "some guy" that makes it look shabby and ill-considered.
Wed 29/10/03 at 17:13
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Very well, your criticism has been considered, I will think about changing it to "some man" or "a man" or simliar.
Wed 29/10/03 at 17:29
Regular
"Laughingstock"
You've got a thing for strange beasts roaming and lurking in urban areas, RoJ.
The song on the radio issuing in-and-out of the autopsy/fight worked well. There's too many mentions of "window: windscreen/ windowshield/ window wipers" in the first paragraph, but yeah, t'was an enjoyable read.
Wed 29/10/03 at 17:33
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Aye, I do often notice myself constantly writing about dark beasts. Ah well. Yes, I must change the sentence structure like you say and get rid of some of those windows, and I also am going to change the ending, it seems rushed to me now, looking back.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.