GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Encyclopedia of Pet-Hates and Irritations"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/10/03 at 10:47
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
I've never been the most 'happy-go-lucky' guy in the world. Indeed, since my mid teens (notably since I began to slowly integrate myself into the workforce) my opinion of life on earth has fallen consistently. In truth, it still continues to fall, every time I watch/read the news, something is announced that makes me either shake my head or makes my blood boil.

I've come to realise that I have almost no patience for other people's stupidity or lack of judgement, regardless of the fact that I'm fully prepared to acknowledge that I'm far from perfect myself. It was, however, probably only about 2 or three years ago that I was first labelled as 'cynical'. This was mainly because I had started to refuse to believe that anything could happen theway it was supposed to. Perhaps this is something to do with the company I work for, which certainly hasn't helped matters. You can't get anything simple done without wading through a swamp of suffocating red-tape, and even the most rudimentary changes require obscene lengths of time, and incur ridiculous costs. ase in hand being the recent "desk move" at work, where people were being shifted to sit closer to the rest of their teams. All you have to do is move a few PCs between desks. Cost quoted? £9,000. Que?

So basically, I have this terrible problem whereby I find my head in my hands several times a day as nothing ever goes right, or my predictions that something will go wrong are proved correct. It's often said that cynicism is a form of realism, because cynics are so often correct. I find it difficult to refute such a claim.

Perhaps I'm just a gloomy bar steward, though, as my negative approach to the world stretches far beyond a total and utter refusal to believe that people can do anything correctly. Indeed, I have a tendency to despise pretty much most things that people do. I'm the kind of person that gets angry walking through a crowd of people that happens to include "dawdlers". You know the sort, walk along at snail pace and randomly stop every now and then, particularly when you're walking behind them. I get angry watching things like "Most Haunted", because I know that every time one of the gibbering morons on screen screams "Muh! Something touched my arm!" there are two million people gasping in awe at the paranormal activity they have been blessed enough to witness. I get angry when I see shoddy, cheap products, not only because I think they are mostly disgraceful rip-offs that fall apart and fail to work, but also because I know that so many people are stupid anough to buy them anyway.

I get angry, irritated and cynical more times a day than the old myth regarding the number of times men are supposed to think about sex. So while 'ordinary' people are thinking about the blond that sits yay far from them at school/in the office, I'm thinking how repugnantly ignorant the vast majority of people littering the country allow themselves to be represented as being, regardless of whether or not they indeed are that stupid.

I hate watching the news, and indeed often don't bother, because all i see is idiots. I can't even bring myself to read the science and tech news areas on the BBc website anymore, as it seems to be over-run with Loughborough University timewasters somehow being funded to find out how to make the perfect cup of tea, what makes biscuits break in their packaging (!) and even the different shopping "tactics" employed by men and women (and also coming to completely the wrong conclusons given the evidence they found). Who cares? More to the point, who would pay to have someone funded through their PhD looking into such superfluous and moronic toss.

So, perhaps I'm just a moody, choleric misanthropist, hating everyone for not being as good as humanity should have been. Sneering at history's ignorance and mocking contemporary indecisive wastefulness while occasionally looking to a bleak future filled with broken promises and yet more utter folly. Or perhaps there is some basis to my outlook. As I say, I'm far too often proved right where I would be far happier being proved otherwise.

There is little I can personlly achieve to fight the growing trend of fatuous nonsense, and so I sit here slapping my head and shaking my fist, becoming more bitter and hateful by the day.

I woud write more, this anger must be vented to keep me stable, otherwise it will become depressing, as it has done in the past, and I will choke on the hopeless vision I have garnered from 24 very long years living among humans that, for the most part, are happy to see potential remain just that, and realise nothing. But I shall not write any more. I'm going to assume that most people reading this stopped reading it way back up there, and scrolled quickly down here to read my final words in this post. Those people will now read this, blush, scroll up again, read a little more before giving up and going on to read something else.

No?

Prove me wrong.
Mon 27/10/03 at 10:47
Regular
"Taste My Pain"
I've never been the most 'happy-go-lucky' guy in the world. Indeed, since my mid teens (notably since I began to slowly integrate myself into the workforce) my opinion of life on earth has fallen consistently. In truth, it still continues to fall, every time I watch/read the news, something is announced that makes me either shake my head or makes my blood boil.

I've come to realise that I have almost no patience for other people's stupidity or lack of judgement, regardless of the fact that I'm fully prepared to acknowledge that I'm far from perfect myself. It was, however, probably only about 2 or three years ago that I was first labelled as 'cynical'. This was mainly because I had started to refuse to believe that anything could happen theway it was supposed to. Perhaps this is something to do with the company I work for, which certainly hasn't helped matters. You can't get anything simple done without wading through a swamp of suffocating red-tape, and even the most rudimentary changes require obscene lengths of time, and incur ridiculous costs. ase in hand being the recent "desk move" at work, where people were being shifted to sit closer to the rest of their teams. All you have to do is move a few PCs between desks. Cost quoted? £9,000. Que?

So basically, I have this terrible problem whereby I find my head in my hands several times a day as nothing ever goes right, or my predictions that something will go wrong are proved correct. It's often said that cynicism is a form of realism, because cynics are so often correct. I find it difficult to refute such a claim.

Perhaps I'm just a gloomy bar steward, though, as my negative approach to the world stretches far beyond a total and utter refusal to believe that people can do anything correctly. Indeed, I have a tendency to despise pretty much most things that people do. I'm the kind of person that gets angry walking through a crowd of people that happens to include "dawdlers". You know the sort, walk along at snail pace and randomly stop every now and then, particularly when you're walking behind them. I get angry watching things like "Most Haunted", because I know that every time one of the gibbering morons on screen screams "Muh! Something touched my arm!" there are two million people gasping in awe at the paranormal activity they have been blessed enough to witness. I get angry when I see shoddy, cheap products, not only because I think they are mostly disgraceful rip-offs that fall apart and fail to work, but also because I know that so many people are stupid anough to buy them anyway.

I get angry, irritated and cynical more times a day than the old myth regarding the number of times men are supposed to think about sex. So while 'ordinary' people are thinking about the blond that sits yay far from them at school/in the office, I'm thinking how repugnantly ignorant the vast majority of people littering the country allow themselves to be represented as being, regardless of whether or not they indeed are that stupid.

I hate watching the news, and indeed often don't bother, because all i see is idiots. I can't even bring myself to read the science and tech news areas on the BBc website anymore, as it seems to be over-run with Loughborough University timewasters somehow being funded to find out how to make the perfect cup of tea, what makes biscuits break in their packaging (!) and even the different shopping "tactics" employed by men and women (and also coming to completely the wrong conclusons given the evidence they found). Who cares? More to the point, who would pay to have someone funded through their PhD looking into such superfluous and moronic toss.

So, perhaps I'm just a moody, choleric misanthropist, hating everyone for not being as good as humanity should have been. Sneering at history's ignorance and mocking contemporary indecisive wastefulness while occasionally looking to a bleak future filled with broken promises and yet more utter folly. Or perhaps there is some basis to my outlook. As I say, I'm far too often proved right where I would be far happier being proved otherwise.

There is little I can personlly achieve to fight the growing trend of fatuous nonsense, and so I sit here slapping my head and shaking my fist, becoming more bitter and hateful by the day.

I woud write more, this anger must be vented to keep me stable, otherwise it will become depressing, as it has done in the past, and I will choke on the hopeless vision I have garnered from 24 very long years living among humans that, for the most part, are happy to see potential remain just that, and realise nothing. But I shall not write any more. I'm going to assume that most people reading this stopped reading it way back up there, and scrolled quickly down here to read my final words in this post. Those people will now read this, blush, scroll up again, read a little more before giving up and going on to read something else.

No?

Prove me wrong.
Mon 27/10/03 at 10:55
Regular
I read the whole thing, and for the most part I agree.
Mon 27/10/03 at 13:00
Regular
i read until the first fullstop. I agree.
Mon 27/10/03 at 13:11
Regular
I agree.

Totally.
Mon 27/10/03 at 13:30
Regular
I agree with most of it. I have virtually no patience with anything, and can regularly be found shouting at traffic when in my car. I've always wanted to rectify this problem, but have no idea how.

Still, they say cynics are the happiest people in the world - 80% of the time they are right, and 20% of the time they are pleasantly surprised.
Mon 27/10/03 at 13:33
Regular
Pet hate number 1 :

Talentless celebrities such as pop stars or reality tv show contestants lecturing the rest of the country on issues they have no idea about, such as politics, health issues and the way you live your life.
Mon 27/10/03 at 14:09
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
You go boy - vent that anger!

Have to agree with most of this although that can be a depressing thought. I don't read or watch much news either as I tend to end up turning it off in disgust.

In truth I am probably a cynic but I also consider myself to be happy go lucky.
Mon 27/10/03 at 14:18
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Talk about red tape ...

In early May I splashed out £4000 (that's right: four thousands pounds) on a motorised office chair thingy that allows me to get round my house a

bit easier than the standard office chair I was 'scooting' round on. I soon discovered that it was impossible for me to get out into the garden

because the concrete slope from the back door to the slabs was cracked and uneven and would've almost certainly tipped my chair over.

So, since I'm renting this place off of a housing association I ring their repairs "hotline" and explain my predicament and ask if they could come out

and fix it. A week later I've heard nothing and so I ring them back and do my best at complaining (which I'm not very good at) and so they promise

me the foreman will be here the next day. Fair enough, he turns up the next day, clipboard in hand, to inspect the slope and the conversation goes

something like this ...

Foreman: "So why do you want the slope fixed?"
Me: "So I can get down it safely in my motorised chair."
Foreman: "In that case it's nothing to do with us - I'll have to refer it to Occupational Therapy."

... and with that he left! I was bloody annoyed, I can tell you.

So, I then ring Occupational Therapy only to find out from them that they have a 12 week waiting list for referals and so I would have to wait.

Three months later the Occupational therapist arrives and spends no more than 5 minutes ticking some boxes on her form before telling me that I was entitled to have the work done and she would send it to Care Services who would deal with it.

I wait another month without hearing anything and so I ring Occupational Therapy back and they assure me that it's been referred and that Care services are dealing with it.

I wait another month (up until last week) and so I ring Care Services to see what their problem is - they tell me that they have no record of the referal! I ring Occupational Therapy who swear blind they faxed it through but, after I shouted at them, said they would re-fax it. I ring Care Services back who tell me that they have just received the resent fax. I ask them how long before the slope is fixed and they say: "We have to send one of our inspectors and then we'll give the work's department the go ahead." And how long do I have to wait for this inspector to turn up? "At least 8 weeks."

Just to recap: to get my slope fixed so I can get into my own bloody garden the work's department send a foreman Out who looks at it and then refers it to Occupational Therapy. Three months later Occupational Therapy then send someone out to look at it and they then refer it to Care Services. Two months later, plus the two months when the referal was lost, Care Services send someone out to look at it and then they refer back to the bloke who came out in the first place to do the f***ing work!

I don't normally get angry but this time I'm making an exception ...
Mon 27/10/03 at 15:48
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You could have built your ramp faster.

Out of matchsticks.
Mon 27/10/03 at 16:18
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Nice bit of venting, and a thought provoking read.

All I can say in reply is that if one becomes wholly bitter and hateful in response to the ignorance and stupidity of the world in general, then they add to the ignorance and stupidity of the world.

The only way (in my opinion) to make things better? Avoid getting bitter and try not to let anger be ones guiding emotion, even though you'll be in the minority by doing so (or, to appeal to the more arrogant, BECAUSE you'll be in the minority for doing so). No-one can be completely free of those two particular emotions; they're a part of human nature. But the only way to lessen their influence on the world in general is to do ones utmost to keep them reigned in within oneself.

Jesus, that reads like Cod Zen Philosophy 101....sorry to sound so cheesy and all, but...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.