GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anything wrong with this?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/10/03 at 01:57
Regular
Leaving the computer on for a few nights, yes it probably drains alot of energy but does it do any damage at all?
My system fan and graphics card probably only goes at full speed if theres a game such as UT2003 on but otherwise its quiet.. I'm not overclocking aswell.
Tue 28/10/03 at 23:40
"I love yo... lamp."
It was a chip designer that said it. In saying that, she is female and there is the possibility that I was just staring at her breasts again and never heard right.
Tue 28/10/03 at 02:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Icarus wrote:
> 25? How do you get it that cool?

There are various techniques you can employ.

And yes, I've heard it called electromigration, not phase change.
Tue 28/10/03 at 01:14
"I love yo... lamp."
Meh maybe I picked it up wrong, but whatever it is it is A Bad Thing.
Tue 28/10/03 at 01:03
Regular
God knows whats mine but it stays cool enough... has a huge system fan.
Tue 28/10/03 at 00:20
25? How do you get it that cool?
Tue 28/10/03 at 00:19
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I've heard of that effect, but I've not heard it called phase change before.

The principle is that as the temperature in the processor pathways goes up, the atoms vibrate more. This causes electromigration... pathways form between strands, and you get extremely low level short-circuiting. Given long enough, this can cause instability & other issues. Whether this will serious affect your computer depends on what temperature you have it running it. Something like an Athlon, for example, which can easily handle 60 degrees, and will go well over 80 before frying, isn't going to degrade for decades if you run it at thirty.

On the other hand, turning your computer on creates a surge which no surge protector can save you from. The damage isn't much, but it does stress the components.

Which is the greater evil, I'd say depends on your CPU operating temp. Seeing as I'm running at 25, I'm probably getting more damage at bootup nyself.
Mon 27/10/03 at 23:30
"I love yo... lamp."
No, phase change is when the atoms in a processor start going funny from a constant current going through it with the electric field disintegrating the processor. The smaller the pathways, the more of an issue it becomes, due to the processor walls becoming smaller and weaker. So a 486 will likely never suffer from it, an Athlon or something could.
Mon 27/10/03 at 20:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Eh yes :-)

Phase change? AFAIK that only applies to super cooling systems.
Mon 27/10/03 at 19:49
"I love yo... lamp."
Well that is impressive. Bit old though. As you get newer and newer reliability decreases too, because of smaller oathways and phase change etc.

Oathways = something to do with promises.
Mon 27/10/03 at 19:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> It does depend on a variety of factors, has it been on 24/7 for those
> 4 years?

...yes, that's what I said :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.