GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gran Turismo 3 delay"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/03/01 at 09:42
Regular
Daily Rader and another 2 sites report that Gran Turismo is now out June 1st in Europe.

Can’t say that I’m surprised but I can say that I’m pretty much fed up with this whole thing.
I know I’ve posted before with not-entirely-serious threads about delays and wondering if we’ll ever see titles worth £300, but there is no humour in this one.
To clear up any confusion, I have a PS2, and I was initially very pleased with it. I got Tekken Tag, SSX and NFL 2001, played them to death and the occasional PS1 title.
However…as time has gone by, I find that I still play NFL, SSX occasionally and I’ve rented most of the others from a video rental chain with blue and yellow corporate colours – but it’s mainly PS1 titles that go inside the black wonder box.

I know that consoles are launched with less than stunning titles at 1st, new hardware etc etc, but I’m wondering why it’s now 4 months after launch and there have been negligent releases since Xmas.
Now, before everyone starts waving Timesplitters at me, what titles have been released since Xmas that have been as impressive as SSX? Timesplitters is ok, but the control system is awkward and the speed is less than impressive compared to something like Unreal Tournament on the PC. I’m not talking processor power, purely action on screen.

But this isn’t moaning about games that are out to get, individual choice means I love one game whilst someone else scratches their head and looks about in a bored manner as I whup their backside on it.
This is a person that bought the damn thing, read the magazines before and expected titles out in Jan – Feb.
Well, here we are in March and nothing. Unreal Tournament isn’t out here, neither is Knockout Kings 2001, neither is The Bouncer, Ominusha Warlords. Etc etc. Gran Turismo is now June, MGS next year…what is on the horizon?
The Getaway, GTA3 and others. But, we knew about the PS2 a year or so before you could buy one.
You mean to tell me that developers didn’t? They are surprised by the appearance of The Third Place?
I doubt it.

Z.O.E, probably good but delayed. And how many of us will rent it just to play the MGS2 demo? And once played, how many of us will sit there clapping their hands, smiling with “Yay! At least another year before I can play this in full!”
I like my PS2, but I wish they would give me titles to play on the thing. I have bought DVDs, yes, and for that I am grateful.
But where is the continued “Wow, now this game rocks!” that you get with new titles? My buddy owns a Dreamcast, and yes he was a tad green when I unwrapped my PS2. However, 4 months down the line, it’s a case of “SSX again? Umm…let’s link PCs and shoot each other instead”
And I tend to agree.

I don’t have an agenda against Sony or their products, I just feel slightly annoyed that we don’t have any new games since Xmas to speak of.
And everytime a new one appears on the horizon, “Sorry, another 2 months yet”.
I’ve heard the arguments about waiting for wider availability before launching new games because they wouldn’t sell enough…but it’s Catch-22.
Walk into a store, see PS2 with game for about £350. Look at shelves and think “Well…nothing really grabs me” so they leave it another month.
Bad sales, no new games and so on.

I’ve defended the PS2 in discussions, but I find it harder and harder to bother, simply because there aren’t the games to wave at people and say “Well, how about this one then?”.
Yes MGS2 looks incredible, yes Gran Turismo will rock – But the chances of getting our hands on them soon fades into the distance with no pop-up as far as the eye can see.
So we settle for other titles that normally wouldn’t sell, but because of the lack of anything else at all, we get them.
I mean “Army Men 2”? Come on people, this is not why we paid £300.
Where are the juicy bits? Where are the games that make you think “Yes! Now this is what I’m talking about”.
And please don’t list games that have been out since Xmas, I’m purely talking about anything released since then.
We all have the titles that are ok. How many are stunning?

To say I’m frustrated in an understatement, and to have the damn thing go wrong after 8 weeks was one of the most infuriating and insulting things that can happen to a believer.
Yes it got replaced, great, I can watch DVDs and play PS1 titles.

The X-Box is coming, Gamecube is hovering near the world and Sony still drags it feet and speaks of PS3. I know it’ll be a loooong time before that sees the light of day, but when do we get the titles that make us happy to shell out £300+ for PS2?
A lot of them are out already in other territories, they may not be brilliant, but at least there’s a wider choice of mediocrity to entertain us for more months.
Z.O.E may be fantastic with a demo of MGS2, but one title since Xmas does not a next gen console make.
Wed 07/03/01 at 09:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Daily Rader and another 2 sites report that Gran Turismo is now out June 1st in Europe.

Can’t say that I’m surprised but I can say that I’m pretty much fed up with this whole thing.
I know I’ve posted before with not-entirely-serious threads about delays and wondering if we’ll ever see titles worth £300, but there is no humour in this one.
To clear up any confusion, I have a PS2, and I was initially very pleased with it. I got Tekken Tag, SSX and NFL 2001, played them to death and the occasional PS1 title.
However…as time has gone by, I find that I still play NFL, SSX occasionally and I’ve rented most of the others from a video rental chain with blue and yellow corporate colours – but it’s mainly PS1 titles that go inside the black wonder box.

I know that consoles are launched with less than stunning titles at 1st, new hardware etc etc, but I’m wondering why it’s now 4 months after launch and there have been negligent releases since Xmas.
Now, before everyone starts waving Timesplitters at me, what titles have been released since Xmas that have been as impressive as SSX? Timesplitters is ok, but the control system is awkward and the speed is less than impressive compared to something like Unreal Tournament on the PC. I’m not talking processor power, purely action on screen.

But this isn’t moaning about games that are out to get, individual choice means I love one game whilst someone else scratches their head and looks about in a bored manner as I whup their backside on it.
This is a person that bought the damn thing, read the magazines before and expected titles out in Jan – Feb.
Well, here we are in March and nothing. Unreal Tournament isn’t out here, neither is Knockout Kings 2001, neither is The Bouncer, Ominusha Warlords. Etc etc. Gran Turismo is now June, MGS next year…what is on the horizon?
The Getaway, GTA3 and others. But, we knew about the PS2 a year or so before you could buy one.
You mean to tell me that developers didn’t? They are surprised by the appearance of The Third Place?
I doubt it.

Z.O.E, probably good but delayed. And how many of us will rent it just to play the MGS2 demo? And once played, how many of us will sit there clapping their hands, smiling with “Yay! At least another year before I can play this in full!”
I like my PS2, but I wish they would give me titles to play on the thing. I have bought DVDs, yes, and for that I am grateful.
But where is the continued “Wow, now this game rocks!” that you get with new titles? My buddy owns a Dreamcast, and yes he was a tad green when I unwrapped my PS2. However, 4 months down the line, it’s a case of “SSX again? Umm…let’s link PCs and shoot each other instead”
And I tend to agree.

I don’t have an agenda against Sony or their products, I just feel slightly annoyed that we don’t have any new games since Xmas to speak of.
And everytime a new one appears on the horizon, “Sorry, another 2 months yet”.
I’ve heard the arguments about waiting for wider availability before launching new games because they wouldn’t sell enough…but it’s Catch-22.
Walk into a store, see PS2 with game for about £350. Look at shelves and think “Well…nothing really grabs me” so they leave it another month.
Bad sales, no new games and so on.

I’ve defended the PS2 in discussions, but I find it harder and harder to bother, simply because there aren’t the games to wave at people and say “Well, how about this one then?”.
Yes MGS2 looks incredible, yes Gran Turismo will rock – But the chances of getting our hands on them soon fades into the distance with no pop-up as far as the eye can see.
So we settle for other titles that normally wouldn’t sell, but because of the lack of anything else at all, we get them.
I mean “Army Men 2”? Come on people, this is not why we paid £300.
Where are the juicy bits? Where are the games that make you think “Yes! Now this is what I’m talking about”.
And please don’t list games that have been out since Xmas, I’m purely talking about anything released since then.
We all have the titles that are ok. How many are stunning?

To say I’m frustrated in an understatement, and to have the damn thing go wrong after 8 weeks was one of the most infuriating and insulting things that can happen to a believer.
Yes it got replaced, great, I can watch DVDs and play PS1 titles.

The X-Box is coming, Gamecube is hovering near the world and Sony still drags it feet and speaks of PS3. I know it’ll be a loooong time before that sees the light of day, but when do we get the titles that make us happy to shell out £300+ for PS2?
A lot of them are out already in other territories, they may not be brilliant, but at least there’s a wider choice of mediocrity to entertain us for more months.
Z.O.E may be fantastic with a demo of MGS2, but one title since Xmas does not a next gen console make.
Wed 07/03/01 at 10:07
"High polygon count"
I thought that the June release for GT3 was already common knowledge?

I've certainly known for 2 or 3 weeks - I even mentioned it in another post somewhere.

June 1st is actually a couple of weeks *earlier* than I was expecting, because the last I heard was "mid-june".

Mind you, if you check out the 18Mb video clip on DR's PS2 section, you'll see that this extra time has not been wasted. The game is looking even better, with amazing new weather effects.

I am incredibly frustrated about it, but seeing this evidence that the time is being well-spent certainly takes the anger out of my frustration!

Keep in mind, though, that we aren't the only ones suffering delays. Someone else mentioned that Dreamcast's Phantasy Star Online was originally supposed to be a DC launch title - and how long has that machine been around?!

Yes, I know DC has a larger range of quality titles to lessen the impact, but it *has* been around much longer in order to get those titles.

Oh... have to agree about Army Men though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.