GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Time to put the foot down?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/10/03 at 19:35
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I, like many others, am becoming frustrated at the amount of spam popping up on here lately. Maybe its time for a new approach on SR. Maybe something like limiting a newbie to so many posts a day, so that spamming on a large scale isn't a possibility for them. It would also give new meaning to becoming a regular, the right to post freely.

Maybe some sort of elective system should be introduced where newbies are technically on probation. If they've reached the quota of 300 posts to become a regular by spamming and generally being a nuisance, then rather than becoming regulars they are prevented from posting any more (i.e. banned). This would stop newbies whose sole purpose of being here is to spam a lot from becoming regulars.

These measures would also hopefully stop disgruntled regulars that have decided to spam the forum after being banned. It would make as much sense as the 15 starter posts a day limit ( I think its something like that anyways), and would hopefully seriously limit the amount of pointless posts clogging up peoples' topics, and maybe restore a bit of order and civilisation back to the SR forums.

It shouldn't stop at newbies though. I've found that some current Regulars can be as annoying as newbies when it comes to spamming. Maybe a 2 strikes and you're out system could be invoked where, if enough genuine complaints are lodged, then warnings could be issued and something like "on official warning" could be placed under usernames for a period of time, say 1 month, and if in that time the person hasn't spammed again, then it could be revoked. If after that they spam consistently again then a banning should be in order.

Let me know what you guys think. I think it's time something was done because its a shame that the forums are losing more and more "oldies" because of a minority messing about.
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:52
Regular
"Proffesional Eejit."
The only problem:

SR staffies have to do all this work, and they quite frankly won't. and since they wont even let someone with an incling of web-desighn prowess sort it out a biut, they have dug a small hole in which a possible body, possibly snugglies, could be buried.
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:46
Regular
"It's been a while.."
Ah ok, in that place yeah it is a good plan i guess.
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:45
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Alec wrote:
> Lindgren, a good ide\a, but this would not stop them spamming the
> sh!te outta the place, until a staffie can be arsed to ban them...

It wasn't meant as an idea to stop spamming, just an idea to give a bit more meaning to the tags.
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:42
Regular
"It's been a while.."
Yeah...
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:42
Regular
*woosh*

over your head.
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:39
Regular
"It's been a while.."
Why?
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:39
Regular
Alec wrote:
> ide\a - sh!te - arsed

Get your coat...
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:36
Regular
*waits*
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:36
Regular
"It's been a while.."
Lindgren, a good ide\a, but this would not stop them spamming the sh!te outta the place, until a staffie can be arsed to ban them...
Wed 22/10/03 at 19:33
Regular
That is a good idea, we shall wait and see.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.