GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Scratches - Solving the problem."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/03/01 at 19:19
Regular
I was wondering if the stands, and or position of the PS2 has an effect on disc scratching.
I am looking for as many replies as possible to this, otherwise the test will be pointless.
Simply answer the following:

1) Position of the console (Vertical or Horizontal)

2) Do you use a stand (Yes or No)

3) Do the discs have scratches? (Yes or No)

Above, please write your answers, in this form if possible:

example: Horizontal No No

It will be interesting to see if there is a pattern.
Wed 11/04/01 at 15:37
Vertical or horizontal (I change every day)
No stand
No scratches
Sun 08/04/01 at 23:09
Launch Machine.

Vertical with stand since 27th November. Console stalls very rarely and an odd problem when loading Wip3out games without using the browser again this problem is rarer than nuclear wars and overall, I am happy with my machine having no scratched games and exceptional performance.

Sun 08/04/01 at 15:07
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Horizontal
yes
no
Sun 08/04/01 at 14:47
The problem with disk scratches is a result of moving the console into another position (vertical to horizontal and vice versa). I made the mistake of moving my console from it's horizontal position into the vertical position while the disc was spinning at full speed, and the next thing i heard was a loud grinding sound. So when the console is turned on just leave it alone and do not attempt to move it or you may end up with another expensive coffee coaster!
Sat 31/03/01 at 15:26
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Horizontal
No Stand
NO SCRATCHES AT ALL
Sun 11/03/01 at 10:31
Regular
As Kieran0601 pointed out, it could just be the laser, and it does seem that there is no real pattern to the scratching in terms of the position of the console.

I originally believed that horizontal PS2s would be more likely to scratch games because it is harder to place the disc under the lip, than it is to place it on the lip if the console is vertical. However, both positions have encountered problems.

There isn`t really enough data to draw full conclusions, but thanks to all those people who entered their results below.
Sun 11/03/01 at 09:22
Horizontal = Yes.

Scratches = No.
Thu 08/03/01 at 14:52
Humpo.

The reason it seems that TTT is getting scratched more often than other games is because TTT is the most played game so far released.

Hope this clears it up for you.
Thu 08/03/01 at 14:49
Here goes.

Vertical

Official PS2 stand

And 2 scratched games!

It has been well documented and confirmed that there was a problem with the lazer pick-up assembly on the early models. This has now been rectified, and anyone having this problem should contact Sony to arrange a replacement console.

The position of the machine has got nothing to do with this problem, it is down to faulty components.
Wed 07/03/01 at 19:18
Horizontal

Yes to Stand

No to scratches

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.