GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo and 3rd party developers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/03/01 at 19:04
Regular
Ok Nintendo do not have a great relationship with many 3rd party developers or do they?

Namco don't get on either do Squaresoft or Eideos but many love Nintendo!

Capcom have announced they think the GC is a dream and announced they will support it. Have you noticed how close Nintendo and THQ have become as they are helping Nintendo release games over here and Nintendo are helping them with the No Mercy faults.

Kanomi are old friends of Nintendo and although they didn't release MGS on the 64 they did release tonnes on the NES of the Metal Gear adventures. Also what about the Castlevania they are excellent on the 64 and so is Mystical Ninja.

Acclaim and Turok are Nintendo and PC only so far and Shadowman was only really good on the 64 and Warzone was also better on the 64 so Acclaim obviously like Nintendo more.

Camelot are making Mario games and they declared they like working together with Nintendo.

These are just a few but looks to me if Nintendo really like Nintendo (Factor 5 work with Nintendo as if they are second party developers). Also Nintendo even buy Companys(Rare, Retro Studios, Left field and Silicon Knights).

So what do you think are Nintendo so bad with 3rd party developers?
Tue 06/03/01 at 19:04
Regular
Ok Nintendo do not have a great relationship with many 3rd party developers or do they?

Namco don't get on either do Squaresoft or Eideos but many love Nintendo!

Capcom have announced they think the GC is a dream and announced they will support it. Have you noticed how close Nintendo and THQ have become as they are helping Nintendo release games over here and Nintendo are helping them with the No Mercy faults.

Kanomi are old friends of Nintendo and although they didn't release MGS on the 64 they did release tonnes on the NES of the Metal Gear adventures. Also what about the Castlevania they are excellent on the 64 and so is Mystical Ninja.

Acclaim and Turok are Nintendo and PC only so far and Shadowman was only really good on the 64 and Warzone was also better on the 64 so Acclaim obviously like Nintendo more.

Camelot are making Mario games and they declared they like working together with Nintendo.

These are just a few but looks to me if Nintendo really like Nintendo (Factor 5 work with Nintendo as if they are second party developers). Also Nintendo even buy Companys(Rare, Retro Studios, Left field and Silicon Knights).

So what do you think are Nintendo so bad with 3rd party developers?
Tue 06/03/01 at 19:07
Regular
3rd party developers were just to scared to try the challenge of making quality games in 3D for cart.

However most games companies (including SEGA) ARE gonna be making games for the Gameboy Advance and Gamecube
Wed 07/03/01 at 00:00
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Well all know Nintendo have always had a strong bond with 3rd party developers, just like the UN has with Saddam Hussein, but thankfully these are healing and we should see some drastic measures too ensure that Nintendo aren't left to float alone during the Gamecube's launch. Square are probably the most renowned of Nintendo's bad relations members, would you agree? I mean that announcement back about 5 years ago must have really miffed old Hiro off. I reckon the Final Fantasy Series is one of the best around and not having the games on the N64 didn't help.

But you have got to admit things are looking up for Nintendo, they are building on relations and even big time PS2 developers are signing on to delve in to Nintendo's, dare I say it...'cube' of tricks. Things look good for Hiro, Shigsy and the gang, and a lot of the good news is coming from the press releases from more and more Nintendo-backing 3rd party developers.

I think that if we see these developers signing on for good we will be looking at the next Playstation in the Gamecube this Christmas...(I'll be done in for that I bet you!)

The Game
Wed 07/03/01 at 12:25
Dringo wrote:
"Also Nintendo even buy Companys(Rare, Retro Studios, Left field and Silicon Knights)."

Despite Rare's devotion to Nintendo, I don't think they're owned by them. In fact, IGN commented about this once: They said that since Rare develops for Nintendo without it having to buy them, why should Nintendo pay for something they're getting for free?

Something like that.
Wed 07/03/01 at 12:32
Regular
"not dead"
Nintendo do own a share in Rare, they bought in to help Rare afford to buy the early development kits for the N64.

Also on this subject, Nintendo's relationship with 3rd party companies suffered in the N64 era bacause of the price Nintendo were charging for licenses, the fact that the N64 development tools were below par didn't help either, so developers more to the more profitable platform that was the PSX.

Nintendo are trying hard to be more 3rd party friendly, and have significantly reduced the cost of licenses, and have a very developer friendy machine in the GameCube.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.