GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You got to love americans..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/10/03 at 13:08
Regular
Activision are being sued by LA-based crime novelist Robert Crais over True Crime: Streets of LA.
Robert Crais is suing Activision and trying to stop them from releasing True Crime: Streets of LA.

The suit claims that there is "destruction of all infringing works." because the game's main character Nick Kang is similar to that of Robert Crais' Elvis Cole.
Activision have not released any official statements on this issue. They would probably try and clear this up quickly, with the game already being delayed till November 4th from it's original launch date of spring.

------
Typical isn't it? plus this game had the potential to make GTA look not so good.
Sun 19/10/03 at 10:24
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Jags wrote:
> The suit claims that there is "destruction of all infringing
> works." because the game's main character Nick Kang is similar
> to that of Robert Crais' Elvis Cole
>
> So the name Nick Kang is similar to the name Elvis Cole??
>
> whu??

They mean the characters background, appearance, e.t.c. not the name....
Sun 19/10/03 at 09:40
Regular
"The Monkey God"
The suit claims that there is "destruction of all infringing works." because the game's main character Nick Kang is similar to that of Robert Crais' Elvis Cole

So the name Nick Kang is similar to the name Elvis Cole??

whu??
Sat 18/10/03 at 21:31
Regular
And that McDonalds chicken nuggets have the same classification that normal people class as "chicken"
Sat 18/10/03 at 21:22
Regular
Assuming the chicked nuggets are chicken, in a percentage over 50% anyway....
Sat 18/10/03 at 20:49
Regular
McDonalds has tryed to play this down, which I suppose isn't hard for a company which deforests the worlds rainforests at a rate faster than that at which logging companies do, and they move on in a few months.
Many (and I mean many) people I know have caught Salmonella in recent times from McDonalds, but lets not go down that path.
It is the responsibility of adults to inform kids not to be "brainwashed" by adverts as this does happen, for example I keep seeing McDonalds "im lovin it" ads on kids airtime advert slots at the rate of about 4 per advert break.
Also your case is proved with McDonalds recent advertising campaign of giving away Finding Nemo toys, this (in itself) is not bad, but the rate at which these promotions change means that many young children will be encouraged to buy McDonalds at an increasing demand until they become overweight or unhealthy.
I do not think it is right that companies like McDonalds continuously broadcast their food adverts on kids programme slots, as younger children don't know how to screen out advert "brainwashing".
McDonalds is so successful because of its fast food appeal and worringly draws in more youngsters at a steadily increasing rate to eat McDonalds products.
They seem to follow a scheme of :
More food sold = More money = Everybody is happy

This scheme seems to bypass who is buying the product and the quality of the food used to make it.
Don't be put off McDonalds, just don't be brainwashed into becoming obese is I suppose what campaigners/protestors are angling for.
I would still eat the chips and chicken nugget type meals but stay clear of the burger related meals until McDonalds has some quality/product assurance atatement brought out.
Sat 18/10/03 at 20:05
Regular
Handy man wrote:
> This is like the story of the two American kids
>
> They ate loads of burgers and chips, and then sued McDonalds for not
> telling them they would become overweight!

It's a bit more complex than that. I think the suit alledges that McDonalds purposely targetted and marketed itself to certain age groups to get them to eat frequently at McDonalds without actually warning of the health risks that would come from it. Put it this way, if you're knocking out new happy meal toys at the rate of 2 a week then you've got kids who'd want to go twice a week minimum.

Another thing they're being caught on is ingredients. Buy most products and you can read what is in them on the label, but not at McDonalds (incidentally Cigaretes also fall into this 'no content information' group of unhealthy products), and surprise surprise part of the composition of the burgers contains certain fattening ingredients which are not usually in regular burgers in most cases. The suit alledges this was intentional.

There's a whole lot more to it, but the point is that McDonalds have been keen to trivialise this because they know it will be perceived as "fat kids sue Ronald McDonald", when actually it has a lot, in my opinion, to do with corporate responsibility to consumers - and with GM foods and such on the horizon, it could be an important suit.

In recent times advertisers have been warned about how they advertise to children - notice a near lack of sweets advertising on tv during kids tv programs, and that the ones that are on have health information on them. Sunny D ended up completely changing it's drink when the level of sugar in the product was found, and was warned about how it had marketed that product to children by advertising watchdogs.
Sat 18/10/03 at 19:48
Regular
This is like the story of the two American kids

They ate loads of burgers and chips, and then sued McDonalds for not telling them they would become overweight!

Come on

I don't like McDonalds, but still...
Sat 18/10/03 at 19:39
Regular
Tell that to those people who think it's the best thing in the world... oh something like that.
Sat 18/10/03 at 19:36
Regular
GTA is "not so good" anyway, all you do is run around killing pedestrians or crashing cars.Whoop-de-doo.
Sat 18/10/03 at 18:47
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> I'd say that unless True
> Crime has had a major overhaul since E3 then it's doomed anyway.

You'd have thought that about 'The Getaway' last year. But alas, the hype got on top of people and they all ran out like retarded sheep and made it one of the best selling games in the last few years.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.