GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What the fudge is wrong with my computer?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/10/03 at 18:23
Regular
"smile, it's free"
This morning at around 9am my computer locked up on winace when I tried to open an archive. A perfectly innocent archive, containing a patch for UFO aftermath, from the official site. Locking up isn't a particularly unusual occurence, but since then everything has been completely up the shoot.

Everything my computer does, including bootup, now seems to take about twenty times longer than it should, sometimes more. The taskbar at the bottom of the screen is so unresponsive as to be unusable.

It's like there's some massive, massive drain on my CPU. Nothing shows up in task manager though - 99% of CPU power on System idle process, and plenty of memory free.

I've updated Norton and managed to run it, although it failed to pick up anything whatsoever. Even more worring is that when I boot up in diagnostic mode, (I'm using XP Pro with SP1 by the way) I STILL get all these problems. They also occur regardless of whether I'm connected to the net or not.

I clicked on outlook express ten minutes ago, it's just loaded. Damnit this is annoying.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is up with my computer?
Sat 18/10/03 at 12:47
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Problem solved!

It appears that my backup hdd was causing the problems. I've disconnected it and everything is now running smoothly again.

I suspect that drive may have had it's day though...
Fri 17/10/03 at 22:20
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Reinstall of windows & hard drive formatting is an entire weekend job. Yeowch.

Any good references where I can read more about this explorer loop?
Fri 17/10/03 at 21:59
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Sounds like explorer is infinite looping. This used to randomly happen
> to me, and was caused by dodgy graphics cards drivers.
>
> I suggest you uninstall WinAce or that UFO thing and see if that
> helps. You can always re-install them.

It will be something like this, yes. The last resort is reinstall Windows, I confess it's probably what I'd try first though :O)
Fri 17/10/03 at 19:13
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sounds like explorer is infinite looping. This used to randomly happen to me, and was caused by dodgy graphics cards drivers.

I suggest you uninstall WinAce or that UFO thing and see if that helps. You can always re-install them.
Fri 17/10/03 at 18:31
Ctrl Alt Delete. Look at the processes and end them one by one?
Fri 17/10/03 at 18:23
Regular
"smile, it's free"
This morning at around 9am my computer locked up on winace when I tried to open an archive. A perfectly innocent archive, containing a patch for UFO aftermath, from the official site. Locking up isn't a particularly unusual occurence, but since then everything has been completely up the shoot.

Everything my computer does, including bootup, now seems to take about twenty times longer than it should, sometimes more. The taskbar at the bottom of the screen is so unresponsive as to be unusable.

It's like there's some massive, massive drain on my CPU. Nothing shows up in task manager though - 99% of CPU power on System idle process, and plenty of memory free.

I've updated Norton and managed to run it, although it failed to pick up anything whatsoever. Even more worring is that when I boot up in diagnostic mode, (I'm using XP Pro with SP1 by the way) I STILL get all these problems. They also occur regardless of whether I'm connected to the net or not.

I clicked on outlook express ten minutes ago, it's just loaded. Damnit this is annoying.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell is up with my computer?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.