GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/10/03 at 08:55
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
(Possible spoilers)

Right, thats four times I've seen it now. Once on a pirate videoCD (a mates), once at the cinema (the pirate dvd was unwatchable after 40 minutes) and twice on the flight I've just had to the States.

Each and every time I hope I will enjoy it a bit more but the fact remains, its crep. Regardless of the weak Phantom character (the bad guy is much better once its revealed to be Moriarty, of Sherlock Holmes fame), and the weak action sequences, I think I've pinned down *my* main problem with it. Hell, the introduction of Tom Sawyer and Dorien Grey isn’t a problem to me, although it dilutes the amount of time each member of the team can have.

The attitudes.

In the Book, the characters *acted* as if they were from the Victorian era. Mina is a prim and proper English lady. Quartermaine's eyes bug out when he gets a flash of ankle, and he's protectively sexist. Hawley Griffin (Rodney Skinner in the film), once freed from sight is a sexual predator and coward. Hyde is a barely controllable beast, while Jeckel is shy and withdrawn. All in all, Moore takes other peoples characters and creates his own mythology around them, succeeding magnificently in capturing the essence of the stories the characters are taken from.

In the film, these attitudes are none existent. Its simply modern day attitudes with Victorian window dressing with (poor) flash bang effects. Its soulless and empty. It very nearly succeeds in being an unintentional “Mystery Men”.

I have to praise Nottington for keeping Nemo and the majority of his crew Sikh’s again, rather than change the ethnicity of the captain from what Verne originally specified.

Alan Moore, if he were dead, would be spinning in his grave. The fact that O'Neill says it’s a good movie, shown how crazed he is (just look at his artwork for chrissake)

Oh ,the transformation sequence is appallingly bad too.

Right. I’m expecting a “just watch the damn thing” or similar response to this little post, so all I’ll say is this. If you enjoyed the film but haven’t read the book, read it. Once the final page of the book has been read, you’ll close it and think, “Wow, the film was a real piece of crep wasn’t it”.
Thu 16/10/03 at 17:22
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Pandemonium wrote:
> Seriously, I love the graphic novels and wished I loved the film.
> Don't waste your time or money just to be disappointed.

Knew it was an adaptation from a book or comic but I've never read or seen it so that was my main reason for going to the flicks.

Methinks I shall be giving this a miss and maybe catch it on the other halfs Sky box as someone has just said it's on there :)

Cheers for the warning.
Thu 16/10/03 at 17:09
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I wasn't trying to call you a liar, although I may have come across that way.
Wed 15/10/03 at 21:33
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
DVD Screemer discs falling into the hands of friends maybe ?

Tons of places get LEGAL versions of the films before release, and if those versions from the US (Screener DVDs are not region coded in my experience) find their way to the UK....there is your answer.
Wed 15/10/03 at 20:32
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
How have so many people seen the film when it only comes out on Friday?
Wed 15/10/03 at 18:32
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Crap film, buy the graphic novel from Amazon instead, only costs the price of two cinema tickets and 100 times better.
Wed 15/10/03 at 14:02
Regular
"relocated"
I think it's going to be on Sky this month, so I'll probably watch it, if only for Heather Graham.
Wed 15/10/03 at 13:51
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
unknown kernel wrote:
> I loved the book, and I'm not sure that I can bring myself to watch
> the film if it's going to ruin it. It should be the perfect source
> material for a movie so I'm really peed off that - according to
> everybody - they've cocked it up in a big way.
>
> Have you read From Hell? Another absolutely brilliant Alan Moore
> comic, which apparently made a dismal transition to cinema. Stupid
> Hollywood.

Oh, but the From Hell graphic novel would have been impossible to film. Okish film I thought, apart from Heather Graham being a really pretty whorio. All the rest are mingers, as it should have been ;)
Wed 15/10/03 at 13:49
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Blank wrote:
> I want to see this. Admittedly only because of the massive guy barging
> his way through scenery. I'm shallow, so sue me.

Thats the only good part of the film, and it lasts about two minutes. Hyde is a brilliantly realised design. Really close to his comic couterpart.
Wed 15/10/03 at 13:44
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I want to see this. Admittedly only because of the massive guy barging his way through scenery. I'm shallow, so sue me.
Wed 15/10/03 at 13:42
"Darkness, always"
I thought From Hell was very good. From a history lesson point of view, they managed to mention pretty much everyone who was implicated or suspected of the murders, and did a good job of recreating a lot of the facts surrounding the case. I thought the only major let-down was ****spoiler*** giving the Ripper a labotomy and sticking him in a cell for the rest of his days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.