GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What the heck does this mean?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/10/03 at 19:33
Regular
"may contain nuts"
Just got a warning up on my computer saying "you have low virtual memory..." and lots of technical stuff.

Can anyone tell me what it means please? Also if it is something bad, what can I do about it?
Mon 13/10/03 at 20:21
Regular
"may contain nuts"
Twice for emphasis?

The "c" is like a little upturned nose, sort of like that of a pig. Not good.
Mon 13/10/03 at 20:16
Regular
"It's been a while.."
NOOOOOOOOO

IT IS:

:cD

Notice the 'c' not '-'
Mon 13/10/03 at 20:15
"Mimmargh!"
Bouncer wrote:
> Thank you sir
>
> :-D

Your welcome.

Oh, and, as all you wippersnappers seem to do nowadays... :-D
Mon 13/10/03 at 20:14
Regular
"may contain nuts"
Thank you sir

:-D
Mon 13/10/03 at 20:07
"Mimmargh!"
Bouncer wrote:
> My hard drive space is nowhere near full, it is 1/4 used. It is a 40
> gb and i have 28gb left. I have increased the allowance for virtual
> memory but bear in mind this is the first time it has ever happened
> to me.
>
> Hopefully if I dont run as many programmes in future simultaneously
> it wont happen again.
>
> Thanks for help all.

Ahh yes, this is true. If you run loads of stuff i.e. painshop pro, encarta, word, Mp3 blaring out and civ III all at once it will also consume virtual memory.
So let that be a lesson to you.
Mon 13/10/03 at 20:05
Regular
"may contain nuts"
My hard drive space is nowhere near full, it is 1/4 used. It is a 40 gb and i have 28gb left. I have increased the allowance for virtual memory but bear in mind this is the first time it has ever happened to me.

Hopefully if I dont run as many programmes in future simultaneously it wont happen again.

Thanks for help all.
Mon 13/10/03 at 20:01
"Mimmargh!"
Bouncer wrote:
> Does it mean I need more Ram for my comp?
>

This is what I suspect. If I were you I would try uninstalling unplayed games, getting rid of old MP3s. You know, the big memory hoggers. Or you can wipe your PC clean and scan disk it. DO NOT do this if you are not advanced, it requires installing everything again, and you would want to back up your hard drive and make sure you have the program discs.
That said, if you do clean it wholesale, your PC should run much better.

But if I am honest I may be wrong about the whole memory thing. But deleting some stuff shouldn't do any harm.
Mon 13/10/03 at 20:00
I have one gig of RAM, and XP still uses Virtual memory. Don't ask why, it's just Microsoft's way, though I do remember reading something useful about it.

Anyway, have you tried NB's suggestion? Make sure you don't edit any of the memory settings there, unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
Mon 13/10/03 at 19:57
Regular
"may contain nuts"
Does it mean I need more Ram for my comp?

Will virtual memory only be used up once my ram can no longer cope?

I was running quite a lot of programmes when the warning came up. Hmm.
Mon 13/10/03 at 19:57
"Mimmargh!"
Well I think that there are two main types of memory. Theres all the crap you store on your PC. And there is some reserve which is used for basic operations such as opening files, loading up windows etc. You seem to be low on that, my friend. Which means if you get too low your PC probably goes really slow or something.

Ok, fine, I don't know what I am talking about. Happy!?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.