GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This damn thing won't connect at 56k!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/10/03 at 17:10
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OK, I know you never get 56k but listen...

EVERY time I connect using dial-up on this laptop it connects at 33.6k! There must be some kind of limit on here, I just can't find it. I did find something about maximum connection speed but that did nothing...

The modem does say 56k (I'm not ~that~ stupid!) it's installed as a 56k modem and, well, it's a 56k modem...

Does anybody have any idea as to what might be wrong?
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:10
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OK, I know you never get 56k but listen...

EVERY time I connect using dial-up on this laptop it connects at 33.6k! There must be some kind of limit on here, I just can't find it. I did find something about maximum connection speed but that did nothing...

The modem does say 56k (I'm not ~that~ stupid!) it's installed as a 56k modem and, well, it's a 56k modem...

Does anybody have any idea as to what might be wrong?
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:23
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Make sure your modem is V90 or V92. I remember having a old external Flex 56 or something like that which limited the connection to only 33.6k on the ISP I used. Basically the ISP may not support that type of connection at 56k. What type of modem is it as you may be able to find out the connection it uses and then refer to the ISP to see what they support.
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:30
Is it USB or serial port connected?
Thu 09/10/03 at 17:32
If it's a serial port one, the serial connection speed may be limited to 33.6k. You could up this by quite a bit, but that will be the max. possible data transfer speed and not the modem speed then.
Thu 09/10/03 at 19:06
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Erm, Phil, Im not really sure.. what ISP are you using? I could probably check some settings and stuff but i'm not there.. so I dunno mate :o)
Fri 10/10/03 at 16:28
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's NTL. Other people can connect here faster, I just feel very limited...

It's also an internal modem.
Fri 10/10/03 at 18:29
Have you had a rummage around your modem settings yet?
Sat 11/10/03 at 00:38
Regular
"How Handy."
GasMask wrote:
> Erm, Phil, Im not really sure.. what ISP are you using? I could
> probably check some settings and stuff but i'm not there.. so I dunno
> mate :o)

Garre: As helpful as ever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.