GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario Kart advance will it be good?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/03/01 at 17:46
Regular
Mario Kart Advance will be a very special game for the Game Boy Advance.
The larger capabilities of the GBA let’s Nintendo enhance the old Mario Kart from the SNES, it may be similar to the SNES version but this plays a lot better than that.
The game is smoother thanks to the capabilities of the GBA the characters are able to zoom in and out with better fluidity in the game than the SNES version.
Overall the graphics will take a step up from the old Mario kart, the games backgrounds look far more superior and clearer than the old blurry textures used before hand. Hopefully Nintendo can keep that ‘one more go’ game play in the game that Mario Kart, and Mario Kart 64 had. Of course what you would look forward to is the 4 player link up, that the SNES version could not taken the speed of the game luckily for this time 4 screen’s will be used for this than one so lag and slowdown will be hopefully taken out of the game. But with the GBA it should be capable of better things than the SNES.
The game will reportedly be one of the first GBA titles to use the system's "download" link play, in which only one cartridge is needed to play against three other systems. So there's no need for people to bring their cartridges along just to play with their mates. This feature is subject to change, but it'll be an excellent addition that will encourage the use and inclusion of link cable in software. The game will also support the Mobile Adapter GB, the mobile phone plug-in for online support the features have yet to be announced for this device, and so we'll just have to sit tight a little while longer.
And yes battle mode is featured and let’s hope that’s bigger and better! If Nintendo has spent enough time on the game we have another classic Mario Game to the already classic Series.
Sat 03/03/01 at 17:46
Regular
Mario Kart Advance will be a very special game for the Game Boy Advance.
The larger capabilities of the GBA let’s Nintendo enhance the old Mario Kart from the SNES, it may be similar to the SNES version but this plays a lot better than that.
The game is smoother thanks to the capabilities of the GBA the characters are able to zoom in and out with better fluidity in the game than the SNES version.
Overall the graphics will take a step up from the old Mario kart, the games backgrounds look far more superior and clearer than the old blurry textures used before hand. Hopefully Nintendo can keep that ‘one more go’ game play in the game that Mario Kart, and Mario Kart 64 had. Of course what you would look forward to is the 4 player link up, that the SNES version could not taken the speed of the game luckily for this time 4 screen’s will be used for this than one so lag and slowdown will be hopefully taken out of the game. But with the GBA it should be capable of better things than the SNES.
The game will reportedly be one of the first GBA titles to use the system's "download" link play, in which only one cartridge is needed to play against three other systems. So there's no need for people to bring their cartridges along just to play with their mates. This feature is subject to change, but it'll be an excellent addition that will encourage the use and inclusion of link cable in software. The game will also support the Mobile Adapter GB, the mobile phone plug-in for online support the features have yet to be announced for this device, and so we'll just have to sit tight a little while longer.
And yes battle mode is featured and let’s hope that’s bigger and better! If Nintendo has spent enough time on the game we have another classic Mario Game to the already classic Series.
Sat 03/03/01 at 18:32
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
SNIPER wrote:
>it may be similar to the SNES
> version but this plays a lot better than that.

A bold statement... the original Mario Kart is seen by most as a true classic... although I hope they do manage to better themselves...

>Of course what you would look forward to is
> the 4 player link up, that the SNES version could not taken the
> speed of the game
I was under the impression that more than 4 players would be able to play at one time? 8?

> the SNES.
The game will reportedly be one of the first GBA titles
> to use the system's "download" link play, in which only
> one cartridge is needed to play against three other systems.

Which is something players have been asking for for years!

> be an excellent addition that will encourage the use and inclusion
> of link cable in software.

Is there not all wireless comms on the GBA?

> sit tight a little while longer.
And yes battle mode is featured
> and let’s hope that’s bigger and better!

I found the original Mario Karts battle mode to be far superior to the N64's version... ?!?!?
Sat 03/03/01 at 18:42
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Another addition to the Mario Kart series, and what a series it has been! I only hope Mario Kart Advance, if that is the title, can live up to all the hype. I love racing games and although they can be repetitive, you can always make out the good ones, the ones that shine through are the ones that can be played time and time over again. Mario Kart is one of these, but now looking forward to the summer or even 3 WEEKS TIME when we see the first of what Nintendo have to offer with the GBA. The Game, from screen shots on various websites shows that all the weapons and modes from the N64 version are present and maybe more, so the opportunity for a 'classic' is all there, but what does it play like?! Well to be honest, as sad as it may be I haven't played it yet ^_^ but from previews the game should play like the SNES version, the backdrops are great and there about 4 to a track so trees 20 ft and 200 ft away from you don't move the same distance when you turn, I think this is just one of the things that will see Mario Kart Advance make it's mark! We all want it to do well, for the sake of handheld gaming, the chances are that most gamers, will, from now to the summer, pre-order or buy a GBA and what a good idea, the spec of the system compared to the GBC makes the GBC look like a drowned LYNX! And although the GBC is a great machine we should see a much more outstanding performance from the GBA, but the thing that worries me is the price, with Pre-orders at £15 (the same as the PS2) the price of Nintendo's new wonder machine might just be a little high, with some reports of a package of the GBA, a Game, and an adaptor for around £150-£160. If people can get a GBC for a lower price of about £50 then I think the high price, no matter how 'good' the machine, will make the GBA suffer in later sales. But £100 is a more realistic price and in my view very much worth it, with the link up to the Gamecube which will be demonstrated in full no later than, in my opinion, E3, people will feel safe that they have invested, so to speak, their £100 in something worth while and by the looks of games such as Mario Kart Advance, they won't be far wrong.

Thanks

The Game
Sat 03/03/01 at 19:38
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
When the original GameBoy was released it was, even then behind the times... however they still managed to produce innumours numbers of top titles for the machine...

Even 10+ years on, and with very little changes to the architecture, the system still provides many top titles, that are fun to play in themselves, (not just a way to pass bored moments at your Grans)

With the GBA being released soon, looking as good as it does, it still isnt really providing anything ground breaking, however it can be pretty certain that the software released for it will be amazing, and immense fun to play...

Is this lack of cutting edge hardware the success of the GB range?

Is the familiarity of the system the reason why programmers are able to push the machine in ways not seen since the days of the Speccy, MSX, Vic-20, etc...?

I can think of no other system that coders are learning Machine Code to program
Sat 03/03/01 at 19:43
If MarioKart Advance plays more like the SNES original than the N64 version it will be great!
Sat 03/03/01 at 19:47
Regular
"everyone says it"
Well, I am going to enjoy going to London in a few days and picking up my testable GBA, I will then import MKA and not stop playing it, I can get GBA's in a week for £120 with any launch game from Japan!
Any Takers??
Sat 03/03/01 at 21:05
Regular
MKA isn't like the Mario kart on the snes and isn't like Mario Kart on the 64 why can't it be a stand alone title.

MKA has graphics not as smooth as the 64 version but more detailed. Nintendo didn't just get the Snes version and upgrade it they made a new game got it.
Sat 03/03/01 at 21:25
Regular
It will of course be almost the same, it needs to stay at using the same gameplay or it will never work.
Sat 03/03/01 at 21:46
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Wow, this game should be good, I mean with the new L and R buttons with the New GBA...only one word comes to mind...POWERSLIDE!!!! I love powersliding and it is one of the things that makes the game special! There are a total of 8 charachters and although the number hasn't increased any, there is a good selection:

Mario; Luigi; Peach; Toad; Yoshi; Dk; Bowser and My Favourite...WARIO.

I am glad the haven't copied the SNES classic, because it would be totally disappointing, I mean it just wouldn't be 'Super Mario Kart' and people might feel...'dooped' because they are paying for a copy of an old game! The good news is that it is a totally new game, new levels, scenery and even sone new weapons, I only hope the powersliding is the 64 method as it is easier to control, but I mean wow, I can't wait for it! The theme of the levels look a bit samey I have already seen a (Kalamari) Desert and Ghost (valley) levels and there is sure to be the basic classic levels, but surely they could have say a space level or maybe a inside of a castle level, I think that is what COULD take some of the percentage rating from the game, if all the themes of the game seem to samey then again people MIGHT feel they are being ripped off. The chances are, just like the other classics in the series Mario Kart GBA will be just as succesful, the GBA like all the otherNintendo handhelds WILL be great and I am sure we are in for one hell of a treat this summer....Roll on release date!

The Game
Sat 03/03/01 at 21:55
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I hope they bring back Taod... he was my man in the original SNES version...

I was the battle mode master...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.