GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You have 29 days to comply..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/05/05 at 17:43
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I've had WinXP Home Edition for over 5 years now, and must have reinstalled it over 70 times. It came with my DELL system and each time I reinstalled it, it has never asked me to register/actiavte with Microsoft. Until now that is, now that I've installed it on my new system.

There's a small icon in the shape of a pair of keys in the system tray. It keeps reminding me to actiavte Windows each day, and is counting down from 30 days. I've clicked on it and infomation that pops up is about the benefits of registering, and three options. One to register now, one to keep reminding me every day, and another I can't remeber right now. I'm worried that if I register now I wont be able to use WinXP on any future system I build.

Anyway, I thought registering was optional? The infomation in the icon key says after 30 days I wont be able to use WinXP. That's what it says.
Fri 27/05/05 at 19:28
Regular
"Touched!"
If it says it's already been activated..phone MS on the number it provides you with and they will activate it again for you.
Fri 27/05/05 at 19:28
Regular
"Touched!"
Roughly yeah.
Fri 27/05/05 at 19:06
Regular
"where's my tag?"
You mean I can activate 3 times every 3 months on this newly built computer?
Fri 27/05/05 at 18:00
Regular
"Touched!"
If it's OEM it works like this:

You can use the code around 3 times in a peroid of 3 months..after that it resets so you can use it another 3 times 3 months later. Bit of an odd system but that's roughly the idea of how it works. (I have about 3 OEM versions of XP home)
Fri 27/05/05 at 17:52
Regular
Although, if you are using it on a new machine, and Microsoft already have that copy activated on another, you may have problems activating. I don't know thoguh, as I've never used the same copy of XP on more than one machine.
Fri 27/05/05 at 17:51
Regular
Possibly. Since DELL machines are prebuilt, they may have used something to crack the activation requirement.
Fri 27/05/05 at 17:46
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Bullett wrote:
> Registering is optional - Activation is mandatory.

Ah, ok. I wonder why it never asked me to do so before on my DELL system? I must have reinstalled over 70 times like I've said. Maybe there's something in the DELL BIOS that stops this WinXP message.
Regular
Registering is optional - Activation is mandatory.
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I've had WinXP Home Edition for over 5 years now, and must have reinstalled it over 70 times. It came with my DELL system and each time I reinstalled it, it has never asked me to register/actiavte with Microsoft. Until now that is, now that I've installed it on my new system.

There's a small icon in the shape of a pair of keys in the system tray. It keeps reminding me to actiavte Windows each day, and is counting down from 30 days. I've clicked on it and infomation that pops up is about the benefits of registering, and three options. One to register now, one to keep reminding me every day, and another I can't remeber right now. I'm worried that if I register now I wont be able to use WinXP on any future system I build.

Anyway, I thought registering was optional? The infomation in the icon key says after 30 days I wont be able to use WinXP. That's what it says.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.