GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"***THE FUTURE***"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/03/01 at 18:47
Regular
Aah... Remember the good old days...
I am writing this in a VERY brief moment of despair. I fear that the glorious days of fun and addictive gaming are coming to an end. I came to this dreadful conclusion when I first heard about the next generation psx (PS2), and to light the fuse on the bomb, Nintendo is moving on too. Oh yahoo, hi-res graphics smoother than an ice cube sliding down a greasy pane of glass. But the sad thing is, games are meant to be played, not to be watched.

My first console was my beloved NES. I played for hours attempting to finish Super Mario Brothers 3 and The Legend of Zelda. I was about eight years old and I couldn't be parted from it...that is, until the Super NES was released. Feeling suicidle when my mum uttered the words: "No, you can't get it," I settled for playing the "old" one, and not the "super one". Then one day the world was treated to the ultimate console, the playstation. "Cool I thought, "I'm definately getting that". Thankfully, I didn't. Although it looked incredible for its time, the controller felt uncomfortable, the buttons weren't responsive and the games weren't great (at frist).

Okay, now for a summary of that.
1. NES-loved it.
2. SNES-looked better, played the same.
3. Playstation-looked the best, played the worst.

Do you see a pattern emerging? Improving technical specs, worsening gameplay? But then the N64 came along and brought a whole new channel of gameplay. Maybe it was the analogue stick or the multiplayer or 3-D Mario, but whatever it was, it worked. Now I think that is or is very close to the pinnacle of innovation. Basically, I’ve given up on innovation when it comes to computer games. I think now, I can only expect someone like Nintendo to take Innovation to the next level.

Anyway, back to the point about addictive gaming. To make more sense of this, take two games like Bust-a-Move 2 and Rogue Squadron. BAM2 has simplistic 2-D graphics and gameplay that could cure a drug addict. Rogue Squadron is one of the best looking games on the N64, but has boring gameplay and proves to be an inferior game to bust-a-move. The expansion pack improves graphics, but doesn’t improve gameplay in any way.

So if Nintendo’s next console follows the trend of the Playstation and can’t maintain their playability in future games, they are going to learn the hard way that gameplay rules, graphics help. But if they manage to improve gameplay as well, bring on the next nintendo!

However, after saying all this, I think that the future looks bright. For instance, the Playstation 2 has brought us some good games like Time Splitters. Also, the Dreamcast has FINALLY brought us atleast one good game-Shenmue. If these soon-to-be prehistoric consoles can have success then the Gamecube certainly can.

Fri 02/03/01 at 20:42
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Your talking about Nintendo here, the masters of origionality, and innovation. I dought you need to worry.
Fri 02/03/01 at 18:47
Aah... Remember the good old days...
I am writing this in a VERY brief moment of despair. I fear that the glorious days of fun and addictive gaming are coming to an end. I came to this dreadful conclusion when I first heard about the next generation psx (PS2), and to light the fuse on the bomb, Nintendo is moving on too. Oh yahoo, hi-res graphics smoother than an ice cube sliding down a greasy pane of glass. But the sad thing is, games are meant to be played, not to be watched.

My first console was my beloved NES. I played for hours attempting to finish Super Mario Brothers 3 and The Legend of Zelda. I was about eight years old and I couldn't be parted from it...that is, until the Super NES was released. Feeling suicidle when my mum uttered the words: "No, you can't get it," I settled for playing the "old" one, and not the "super one". Then one day the world was treated to the ultimate console, the playstation. "Cool I thought, "I'm definately getting that". Thankfully, I didn't. Although it looked incredible for its time, the controller felt uncomfortable, the buttons weren't responsive and the games weren't great (at frist).

Okay, now for a summary of that.
1. NES-loved it.
2. SNES-looked better, played the same.
3. Playstation-looked the best, played the worst.

Do you see a pattern emerging? Improving technical specs, worsening gameplay? But then the N64 came along and brought a whole new channel of gameplay. Maybe it was the analogue stick or the multiplayer or 3-D Mario, but whatever it was, it worked. Now I think that is or is very close to the pinnacle of innovation. Basically, I’ve given up on innovation when it comes to computer games. I think now, I can only expect someone like Nintendo to take Innovation to the next level.

Anyway, back to the point about addictive gaming. To make more sense of this, take two games like Bust-a-Move 2 and Rogue Squadron. BAM2 has simplistic 2-D graphics and gameplay that could cure a drug addict. Rogue Squadron is one of the best looking games on the N64, but has boring gameplay and proves to be an inferior game to bust-a-move. The expansion pack improves graphics, but doesn’t improve gameplay in any way.

So if Nintendo’s next console follows the trend of the Playstation and can’t maintain their playability in future games, they are going to learn the hard way that gameplay rules, graphics help. But if they manage to improve gameplay as well, bring on the next nintendo!

However, after saying all this, I think that the future looks bright. For instance, the Playstation 2 has brought us some good games like Time Splitters. Also, the Dreamcast has FINALLY brought us atleast one good game-Shenmue. If these soon-to-be prehistoric consoles can have success then the Gamecube certainly can.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.