GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MSN Chat to close it's doors..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/09/03 at 06:44
Regular
"Computer giant Microsoft is to close the majority of its internet chatrooms to stop paedophiles praying on children.

It will axe all its chatrooms run by its MSN websites in 34 countries in an attempt to prevent paedophiles using the web to groom victims.

Other chatrooms accessible using MSN will be more tightly monitored or operate on a subsciption-only basis.

It comes after a recent survey of 9 to 16-year-olds that 20% are regular users of internet chatrooms, 25% have requested a meeting with someone they have met in a chatroom and 10% admit they have actually gone on to meet up with a stranger.

The company also hopes the move will combat spam emails.

Companies are known to collect email addresses from those visiting chatrooms which they use to send what are often x-rated adverts.

Matt Whittingham, head of customer satisfaction at MSN UK, said: "Most people treat this type of service with respect but we have found that chatrooms - and not only ours - are increasingly being used for inappropriate communications.

"Many of those using chatrooms are young and interested in sex and going out.

"Unfortunately we know paedophiles have exploited this and the freedom they get from chatrooms to target children.

"We have had enough of our services being used in this way which is why we have decided to close those which are free and not monitored."

MSN will shut its free, unmoderated Chat services around the globe on October 14.

A service will continue for free in New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Canada and Japan but the contents of the chatrooms will be monitored.

The US will run a subscription-only service which requires users to disclose their credit card details."

Credit :: Sky News

I've used MSN Chat before, don't really see why it has to go. If parents don't want to monitor their child's Internet usage, it's up to them. And if the children talk to paedophiles and arrange to meet up; again, they shouldn't be allowed online and their parents should know that. But, if it clamps down on the whole paedophilia (is that a word?) stuff then good, I hope it is successful. But I can't see it working. MSN Chat isn't as personal as MSN Messenger, basically, lots of people with random usernames are sitting behind their monitors talking to people. It's harder to tell the persons age, sex and most importantly of all, their location. Unless of course, they tell the person they are talking to. Hmmm...

Discuss...
Wed 24/09/03 at 06:44
Regular
"Computer giant Microsoft is to close the majority of its internet chatrooms to stop paedophiles praying on children.

It will axe all its chatrooms run by its MSN websites in 34 countries in an attempt to prevent paedophiles using the web to groom victims.

Other chatrooms accessible using MSN will be more tightly monitored or operate on a subsciption-only basis.

It comes after a recent survey of 9 to 16-year-olds that 20% are regular users of internet chatrooms, 25% have requested a meeting with someone they have met in a chatroom and 10% admit they have actually gone on to meet up with a stranger.

The company also hopes the move will combat spam emails.

Companies are known to collect email addresses from those visiting chatrooms which they use to send what are often x-rated adverts.

Matt Whittingham, head of customer satisfaction at MSN UK, said: "Most people treat this type of service with respect but we have found that chatrooms - and not only ours - are increasingly being used for inappropriate communications.

"Many of those using chatrooms are young and interested in sex and going out.

"Unfortunately we know paedophiles have exploited this and the freedom they get from chatrooms to target children.

"We have had enough of our services being used in this way which is why we have decided to close those which are free and not monitored."

MSN will shut its free, unmoderated Chat services around the globe on October 14.

A service will continue for free in New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Canada and Japan but the contents of the chatrooms will be monitored.

The US will run a subscription-only service which requires users to disclose their credit card details."

Credit :: Sky News

I've used MSN Chat before, don't really see why it has to go. If parents don't want to monitor their child's Internet usage, it's up to them. And if the children talk to paedophiles and arrange to meet up; again, they shouldn't be allowed online and their parents should know that. But, if it clamps down on the whole paedophilia (is that a word?) stuff then good, I hope it is successful. But I can't see it working. MSN Chat isn't as personal as MSN Messenger, basically, lots of people with random usernames are sitting behind their monitors talking to people. It's harder to tell the persons age, sex and most importantly of all, their location. Unless of course, they tell the person they are talking to. Hmmm...

Discuss...
Wed 24/09/03 at 06:52
Regular
"8==="
I don't believe it's the real reason they're scaling down. I expect it's running at a loss (How do they get revenue off it?) and they've decided to give up.

People, paedo's included, will simply go to other chatrooms.

Quite frankly MSN Chat was embarrassing, I doubt it'll be missed too much as 90% of it was really a glorified gathering of those after a little 'wrist movement'.
Wed 24/09/03 at 08:20
"For the horde!!!!"
bye MSN chat don't forget to wright.
*canned laughter*
Wed 24/09/03 at 11:22
Regular
Bye the home of the A/S/L..
Wed 24/09/03 at 11:24
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
iF u WanNa CybEr PreSs 999.
Wed 24/09/03 at 11:48
Regular
22/yes please/outside ya window looking in
Wed 24/09/03 at 13:00
Regular
"Mi/\\/dfrig Naked"
as long as msn messenger stays.....
Wed 24/09/03 at 13:13
Regular
"The Monkey God"
SnipeŽ wrote:
> Bye the home of the A/S/L..

Wouldn't that be Yahoo chat?

Never used msn chat personally. Used to go on Yahoo n had some great arguments but now its all deteriorated into single 20-40 something nerds trying to "cyb0r" with anything that moves. I prefer IRC. *wonders why he has 132 contacts on msn and speaks to mabey 10 different people per month*
Wed 24/09/03 at 16:41
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Bah, chat rooms are a waste of time.
Wed 24/09/03 at 16:48
"I love yo... lamp."
I agree. I must have spent weeks of my life on here.

But hey if a few decent users filter through to here, which COULD happen, then that would be a good thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.