GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony close Lik-Sang!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/10/06 at 23:33
Regular
Sources: Gamesindustry.biz (part of Eurogamer) and Liksang themselves...

Due to recent lawsuits by Sony, Lik-sang have been forced to close.

The lawsuits were mainly about Lik-sang selling imported PSPs that supposedly did not confirm to European safety standards...however Lik-sang did protest that they did actually contain a Sony adaptor that made them confirm to the standards required...

Basically, Sony have opened the doorway to all import consoles being banned.

A small victory for Sony...however have they shot themselves in the foot? After all, if significant sales were being made through Lik-Sang, and now those customers can't buy other items, such as imported PS3s, does this mean that they are going to lose their custom?

The answer is obviously yes. If only until the units come out in the UK. But with the PS3 having a lower RRP in Japan than the rest of the world...is this just part of Sony's plan to reduce their losses that they'll make on each unit sold?
Wed 25/10/06 at 19:36
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'd also like to see more 'Japanese Secrets' earning release over here because of this. But unfortunately I don't see too many publishers complemplating taking such a risk on a range of games that quite simply won't sell like the FIFA '08s and Need for Speeds of tomorrow and years to come.
Wed 25/10/06 at 12:54
"possibly impossible"
I guess the do their homework and suspect it won't affect their profits, true.

But Its dubious as to whether it will encourage more obscure titles from Asia. Would be nice though...
Wed 25/10/06 at 12:35
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
pb wrote:
> they are all stupid for taking away something that
> ulimately ends up selling more consoles and games...

On the plus side, European publishers are more likely to pick up obscure eastern titles that would otherwise never get released over here because in the past everyone imported them.

I think when it comes down to it, Sony are trying to protect them more than the end-consumer in Europe.

I also think there is no way that Sony et. al. would initiate legal actions like this if they thought it would affect their profits (which is probably why the 2nd hand games industry is still thriving to this day, even though, under current legislation, it's still a grey area).
Wed 25/10/06 at 11:47
"possibly impossible"
Oh, I know Nintendo were the first to start complaining about imports, they even tried to stop UK shops from selling second hand games too. None of the big three (or Sega in the past) seem to realise that this increases their sales in the long run.

So my comment was only aimed at Sony for this particular case, but, yes, they are all stupid for taking away something that ulimately ends up selling more consoles and games...
Wed 25/10/06 at 09:12
Regular
P.S. There's a lot more to this story than first meets the eye. When Sony responded to Lik-Sang's releasing of names of people at Sony that had bought PSPs from them with:

"The purchasing of PSP consoles by SCE employees would be for investigatory purposes."

this sort of contradicts all the 'I've got a PSP! Nyaa naa na-naa naa" threads I recall seeing from SCEE employees when it was first launched and wasn't available in Europe.
Wed 25/10/06 at 09:10
Regular
Of course they're not the first people to do it - I remember Nintendo blocking the import of GC stuff - screwed me over when I had a Jap GC.

They're still stupid for doing it though.
Wed 25/10/06 at 09:02
Regular
Short memories or something?

Microsoft shut down Lik-Sang back in 2002 over mod chips.
Nintendo successfully sued Lik-Sang in the same year over flash carts.

The combined lawsuits between Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and SEGA basically put Lik-Sang out of the mod chip business altogether.

Now they've been shut down because of grey imports. It just happened to be Sony that managed to do it, and the press just happen to know that by making Lik-Sang look like wide-eyed innocents (which they aren't) and that by making Sony look like an evil empire (which they aren't) it'll give the story an extra edge.
Wed 25/10/06 at 08:48
Regular
pb wrote:
> Stupid Stupid Sony...

qft.
Wed 25/10/06 at 08:33
"possibly impossible"
Stupid Stupid Sony...
Tue 24/10/06 at 23:33
Regular
Sources: Gamesindustry.biz (part of Eurogamer) and Liksang themselves...

Due to recent lawsuits by Sony, Lik-sang have been forced to close.

The lawsuits were mainly about Lik-sang selling imported PSPs that supposedly did not confirm to European safety standards...however Lik-sang did protest that they did actually contain a Sony adaptor that made them confirm to the standards required...

Basically, Sony have opened the doorway to all import consoles being banned.

A small victory for Sony...however have they shot themselves in the foot? After all, if significant sales were being made through Lik-Sang, and now those customers can't buy other items, such as imported PS3s, does this mean that they are going to lose their custom?

The answer is obviously yes. If only until the units come out in the UK. But with the PS3 having a lower RRP in Japan than the rest of the world...is this just part of Sony's plan to reduce their losses that they'll make on each unit sold?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.