GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Globalisation is Good?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/09/03 at 21:20
Regular
Did anyone else see this?

Thoughts?
Mon 22/09/03 at 15:37
Regular
Very good point
Mon 22/09/03 at 00:22
Regular
"bWo > You"
I thought it was a shame the way he missed out the capitalist-induced disasters of South America (Chile, Argentina etc) when mentioning that global capitalism has been a success wherever it has been used.
Sun 21/09/03 at 23:48
Regular
Dr Duck wrote:
> Of course, the companies concerned are ultimately self-serving, but
> if the only choice is their presence or the current state of third
> world countries, I figure [***the multinational companies are***] the lesser of two evils.
Sun 21/09/03 at 23:46
Regular
I'll start then, shall I? :^P

The guy made a good case for it. I'm sure we were only allowed to see the nicest side of that Nike factory etc, but really, it makes a viable case for maybe the only achievable (given human nature) way forward for such countries.

Of course, the companies concerned are ultimately self-serving, but if the only choice is their presence or the current state of third world countries, I figure they're the lesser of two evils.
So long as they can be sufficiently regulated to ensure adequate conditions for workers, I guess I can't really object.
Hell, what we saw of the Nike factory looked better than my old glue factory (wages aside of course). And at least they got face masks for when they were dealing with chemical adhesives!

In a way, the whole 'lesser of two evils' thing is comparable to the American 'occupation' of Iraq, I suppose.
Ultimately we can't really deny that the people directly affected are better off (or hopefully will be long term at least), but we can still point out the glaring flaws in the evil we've opted to go along with.

And shouldn't we be aiming for something better than that anyway?

I suppose globalisation's ultimate ends would be the world operating free of trade restrictions, where some countries would offer natural resources, some their food produce, some goods and services, leaving the unplesant side - other countries serving only for cheap labour.
But so long as it's better than what we've got now, it's a positive improvement. Right?

I can't help but see comparisons to the ultimate communist ideals of a world cooperating in harmony for the good of the whole.
Sun 21/09/03 at 21:20
Regular
Did anyone else see this?

Thoughts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.