GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spirited Away ... emmm views please?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/09/03 at 14:46
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
I recently went to see Spirited Away at the cinema as nearly every critic has given it 5 stars. However after I saw the film I felt that it didn't deserve it. Possibly 3 stars but that's it.

Ok the animation is unsurpassed by anything else this year (except possibly Finding Nemo but those animations aren't abnormal in cinemas) and the storyline is surreal when you consider the possibility of the spirit world which it is suggesting but apart from that what is so great about it? I can't even remember the wee girls name and even if I did her character was about as deep as a garden pond. All I knew about her past was that she had to leave her previous school to go to a new house. After that you just follow the events in chronological order with no real reference to anything that would give us an insight into her mentality eg was she the odd one out at school?

This lack of depth applies for most of the characters however I did feel some kind depth to the evil witch of the bath house however she was about as scary as a pensioner who just saw some kids on her lawn. If you want a scary (well scary-ish considering it's a U) animated witch then watch Sleeping Beauty. Anyway that was just my opinion but I really want to know what other people saw in it. Any insight would be great.
Sun 21/09/03 at 14:46
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
I recently went to see Spirited Away at the cinema as nearly every critic has given it 5 stars. However after I saw the film I felt that it didn't deserve it. Possibly 3 stars but that's it.

Ok the animation is unsurpassed by anything else this year (except possibly Finding Nemo but those animations aren't abnormal in cinemas) and the storyline is surreal when you consider the possibility of the spirit world which it is suggesting but apart from that what is so great about it? I can't even remember the wee girls name and even if I did her character was about as deep as a garden pond. All I knew about her past was that she had to leave her previous school to go to a new house. After that you just follow the events in chronological order with no real reference to anything that would give us an insight into her mentality eg was she the odd one out at school?

This lack of depth applies for most of the characters however I did feel some kind depth to the evil witch of the bath house however she was about as scary as a pensioner who just saw some kids on her lawn. If you want a scary (well scary-ish considering it's a U) animated witch then watch Sleeping Beauty. Anyway that was just my opinion but I really want to know what other people saw in it. Any insight would be great.
Sun 21/09/03 at 20:32
Regular
I don't do Manga so I wouldn't know.
Sun 21/09/03 at 20:47
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Yeh same, that was my stance from the start then I heard it one cinema awards and got 5 stars in every mag so I thought "meh I'll give it a go." I don't think it has given me a great appreciation for the genre though heh.
Mon 22/09/03 at 09:40
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I think it's an amazing film, but I am a teensy bit bias because of my love for anime films, and especially the Ghibli ones.

It's just bursting with so much creativity and a sense of wonder, something that is really lacking in Western animation these days, where it's now just the custom to make an animated film as merchandisable as possible without worrying about little details like the quality of the film (take the last few Disney films and that's what you have).

I think with this kind of film you either love it or you don't, like anime in general really. It is fairly odd to most Westerners as it's full of very Japanese ideals/cultural references/locales etc, so some of it we may find a little odd, but the basic Alice in Wonderland style story and adventure element is one everyone can enjoy.
I think it's the kind of film that would benefit from multiple viewings; I first saw it a long time back when I was lucky enough to download it from Kazaa, and it seemed just odd. I have since seen it a few more times on the US dvd, and then again at the cinema, so I have a better understanding and appreciation of the film as a whole (the characters/themes etc).

It's had a shed-load of good press around the world, something I think it deserves, and it shows modern Disney films up for what they really are.

For more loads of info on the movie (character info, plot, themes, reviews, etc) look here: http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/sen/
Mon 22/09/03 at 09:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I don't like anime stuff, it just makes me think of Dogtanion.
Probably some good stuff out there, I just find myself unable to watch any kind of Japanimation. Bores me stupid.

Kill Bill has anime in, from the people that did "Ghost in The Shell", which a cartoon-loving mate says is awesome.
I watched Akira and just found it dull.
Mon 22/09/03 at 12:51
Regular
Kill Bill? Anime? What's it going to be, a cartoon Uma Thurman with outsized eyes and a triangular mouth killing the bad guys, who also have comically sized facial dimensions?
Mon 22/09/03 at 13:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The anime stuff is O-Ren's childhood, how she became who she is.

It's basically a grindhouse movie, stuffed with everything QT loves about B-movies. Sub-titled kung fu, anime, exploitation etc etc.
Mon 22/09/03 at 13:04
Regular
O-Ren is the one played by Lucy Liu, right?
Mon 22/09/03 at 13:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yup
Check the "Bootleg" topic a few down from here

*points*
Mon 22/09/03 at 17:21
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I really want to see this, but unforunately it's only shown in the larger cinemas (or so it seems). Which means I'd have to go to Manchester or York to see it. Odd considering it's had good reviews in mainstream newspapers and magazines and features on programmes such as Film 2003.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.