GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty 4 - Re-Review "What I forgot to mention...""

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare'.
Mon 15/06/09 at 18:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
For those who read my previous Call of Duty 4 review, i gave it alot of praise, partly because of the number of awards it has won and the great ratings that it has recieved. I wrote the review a couple of days after i got the game, and i presumed it would get better as i progressed. It did partially, but not as much as i'd hoped. There are a few problems and personal annoyances i've discovered playing multiplayer, which i'd like to highlight. So i'll be writing this review as to what i personally think, not facts of the game or describing what you can do, this is my own analysis of what i think.

I have a love/hate relationship with Call of Duty 4. I first got Call of Duty 5, yes a bit strange buying the latest and going backwards, but i like to buy the latest game in a series (for example i've got Gears of War 2, and not the original, Far Cry 2, and not the original and Fable II, and yep you guessed it). In Call of Duty 5, when i started the multiplayer, i was welcomed with a special game type, that only allowed people of level 8 and below into the game. In otherwords, i died lots, but i wasn't the only one being shot to smitherines. Playing back then, i thought level 8's were indestructable. So, slowly, but surely i progressed to level 9. Uh-oh. Time to play with the big boys.

Surprisingly, i wasn't completely anihilated, and to this day, i can still take a level 55 down pretty well.

Call of Duty 4 though is a completely different matter. I started the game with my M16 raring to go, only to be met with 55's straight from the off. I was an experience guinnea pig for them. Currently, i have unlocked more stuff for my trusty M16 (great basic gun) such as the ACOG scope and digital camoflauge (yes, blue tiger is in my crosshairs-i've heard red is rubbish). Even now though, with my super zoom, martyrdom and digital camoflauge, i'm being constantly frustrated by a certain class. It's a guy we'll call 'The Sniper'.

So, you've just unlocked all these new weapons and add-ons, and you can't wait to shake off them level 1 hindrances, and actually kill someone. Choose my super indestructable class that i've made, and spawn at the base on Overgrown.

| +10 |
| |
| |
|The Sniper ( + ) My Face |
|________________________________|

As you can see by this diagram, before i've even worked out where i am, The Sniper has blown my face clean off.

One way to try and save and your face is to avoid the sniper ridden maps, particularly Overgrown and Down Pour, where snipers get gillie suits, and hide in bushes, like a rapist, except they have a huge gun.

What really annoys me is that fact that essentially, this game is a war simulator, yet you wouldn't find a sniper in the middle of a bunch of enemy targets who have LMGs and SMGs.

"I don't think we're going to win many wars like this, Mr Hitler"

"You've obviously never played Call of Duty, Gunter..."

So, you're getting fed up of being shot in the head, even when you're in your base. So you leave this Team Deathmatch. You want to get right back into the action, so back to the multiplayer menu, and select team deathmatch.

| |
| Overgrown |
|_________________________________|

Hmm this seems famili- *boom*

Either you're being followed by 'The Sniper' or you've just joined the exact same match you've just left. This infuriates me so much. Most of the time, people will leave a match because there is an annoyance, such as
-lagg
-a cheater
-a whiny kid shouting down his mic
-six 55's vs 3 level 11's

Yet if you attempt to leave and rejoin the same match type, the server instantly allocates you the empty spot that you've just left.

When i do go a sniper (very rarely) i hate the way that you have to have an asthma attack every time you want to fire a steady shot. Modern snipers have stands for their rifles! Why do i need to hold my breath?! Best thing to do would be to give people a sniper stand that helps them aim steadily (like in real war), but give them a movement and sprint hindrance. Then again, you'd never get out your base then, as it would be headshot after headshot.

As you can read, i'm not happy with alot of Call of Duty 4, although i love all the features you unlock for the weapons, even if it's always the same stuff you unlock (red dot sight, ACOG scope, digital, blue tiger, red tiger and gold camoflauge, silencers and grips). Apart from the upgrades, there's not much else which excites me. You play standard bang-bang, chase me, oh i'm dead multiplayer, and the single player is nothing to shout about.

In conclusion, this is my honest opinion of the game. The other review is a commercial view, taking into account the awards and ratings, and actually describing the game. But this review is the account of first hand action. So, can 13 million people be wrong? Yes they can, look at the nazis.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 15/06/09 at 18:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
For those who read my previous Call of Duty 4 review, i gave it alot of praise, partly because of the number of awards it has won and the great ratings that it has recieved. I wrote the review a couple of days after i got the game, and i presumed it would get better as i progressed. It did partially, but not as much as i'd hoped. There are a few problems and personal annoyances i've discovered playing multiplayer, which i'd like to highlight. So i'll be writing this review as to what i personally think, not facts of the game or describing what you can do, this is my own analysis of what i think.

I have a love/hate relationship with Call of Duty 4. I first got Call of Duty 5, yes a bit strange buying the latest and going backwards, but i like to buy the latest game in a series (for example i've got Gears of War 2, and not the original, Far Cry 2, and not the original and Fable II, and yep you guessed it). In Call of Duty 5, when i started the multiplayer, i was welcomed with a special game type, that only allowed people of level 8 and below into the game. In otherwords, i died lots, but i wasn't the only one being shot to smitherines. Playing back then, i thought level 8's were indestructable. So, slowly, but surely i progressed to level 9. Uh-oh. Time to play with the big boys.

Surprisingly, i wasn't completely anihilated, and to this day, i can still take a level 55 down pretty well.

Call of Duty 4 though is a completely different matter. I started the game with my M16 raring to go, only to be met with 55's straight from the off. I was an experience guinnea pig for them. Currently, i have unlocked more stuff for my trusty M16 (great basic gun) such as the ACOG scope and digital camoflauge (yes, blue tiger is in my crosshairs-i've heard red is rubbish). Even now though, with my super zoom, martyrdom and digital camoflauge, i'm being constantly frustrated by a certain class. It's a guy we'll call 'The Sniper'.

So, you've just unlocked all these new weapons and add-ons, and you can't wait to shake off them level 1 hindrances, and actually kill someone. Choose my super indestructable class that i've made, and spawn at the base on Overgrown.

| +10 |
| |
| |
|The Sniper ( + ) My Face |
|________________________________|

As you can see by this diagram, before i've even worked out where i am, The Sniper has blown my face clean off.

One way to try and save and your face is to avoid the sniper ridden maps, particularly Overgrown and Down Pour, where snipers get gillie suits, and hide in bushes, like a rapist, except they have a huge gun.

What really annoys me is that fact that essentially, this game is a war simulator, yet you wouldn't find a sniper in the middle of a bunch of enemy targets who have LMGs and SMGs.

"I don't think we're going to win many wars like this, Mr Hitler"

"You've obviously never played Call of Duty, Gunter..."

So, you're getting fed up of being shot in the head, even when you're in your base. So you leave this Team Deathmatch. You want to get right back into the action, so back to the multiplayer menu, and select team deathmatch.

| |
| Overgrown |
|_________________________________|

Hmm this seems famili- *boom*

Either you're being followed by 'The Sniper' or you've just joined the exact same match you've just left. This infuriates me so much. Most of the time, people will leave a match because there is an annoyance, such as
-lagg
-a cheater
-a whiny kid shouting down his mic
-six 55's vs 3 level 11's

Yet if you attempt to leave and rejoin the same match type, the server instantly allocates you the empty spot that you've just left.

When i do go a sniper (very rarely) i hate the way that you have to have an asthma attack every time you want to fire a steady shot. Modern snipers have stands for their rifles! Why do i need to hold my breath?! Best thing to do would be to give people a sniper stand that helps them aim steadily (like in real war), but give them a movement and sprint hindrance. Then again, you'd never get out your base then, as it would be headshot after headshot.

As you can read, i'm not happy with alot of Call of Duty 4, although i love all the features you unlock for the weapons, even if it's always the same stuff you unlock (red dot sight, ACOG scope, digital, blue tiger, red tiger and gold camoflauge, silencers and grips). Apart from the upgrades, there's not much else which excites me. You play standard bang-bang, chase me, oh i'm dead multiplayer, and the single player is nothing to shout about.

In conclusion, this is my honest opinion of the game. The other review is a commercial view, taking into account the awards and ratings, and actually describing the game. But this review is the account of first hand action. So, can 13 million people be wrong? Yes they can, look at the nazis.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.