GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dinosaur Planet"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/02/01 at 11:01
Regular
Does it not worry anybody that Dinosaur Planet has been cancelled as a N64 release, and it will be released as a GameCube game at launch?

Admittedly it was a very ambitious N64 project, but to think that n64 games can just be pushed across into the GameCube line up does seem odd.

Obviously they're going to improve the graphics, and the sound, but they don't have time to go back to the basic game design, and alter this, do they?

If not, that means that a GameCube launch game will play pretty much as it would have done on the N64.

Which means that the game will be roughly the same size as a large N64 game.

I was hoping that moving away from a cartridge based system would lead to much bigger games, not just better looking and sounding ones.

Will all of the GameCube's launch titles be like this? Adventures that will last us no longer that what we already have, FPS with just as limited levels?

I was seriously hoping for something new from Nintendo. No doubt the games will be good, but I'm not sure that this is progress?

Maybe it's just this one game. Maybe they have got time to improve more than just the graphics and sound. But maybe, just maybe, GameCube won't be delivering all that we expect?
Wed 28/02/01 at 11:01
Regular
"not dead"
Does it not worry anybody that Dinosaur Planet has been cancelled as a N64 release, and it will be released as a GameCube game at launch?

Admittedly it was a very ambitious N64 project, but to think that n64 games can just be pushed across into the GameCube line up does seem odd.

Obviously they're going to improve the graphics, and the sound, but they don't have time to go back to the basic game design, and alter this, do they?

If not, that means that a GameCube launch game will play pretty much as it would have done on the N64.

Which means that the game will be roughly the same size as a large N64 game.

I was hoping that moving away from a cartridge based system would lead to much bigger games, not just better looking and sounding ones.

Will all of the GameCube's launch titles be like this? Adventures that will last us no longer that what we already have, FPS with just as limited levels?

I was seriously hoping for something new from Nintendo. No doubt the games will be good, but I'm not sure that this is progress?

Maybe it's just this one game. Maybe they have got time to improve more than just the graphics and sound. But maybe, just maybe, GameCube won't be delivering all that we expect?
Wed 28/02/01 at 15:42
Regular
Not in the least.

All characters, scenes, levels, are created and rendered on a PC... the characters are made in low poly counts, and can EASILY be changed into high poly characters. It's a matter of clicking a few buttons.

Obviously it will take time to perfect them, but the ease is there. Don't worry about it simply being shoved on the Gamecube, believe me.
Wed 28/02/01 at 19:42
Regular
it's just a rumour, not confirmed.
Wed 28/02/01 at 20:19
Regular
Confirmed.
Thu 01/03/01 at 13:03
Regular
"not dead"
What bothers me is that surely the story of the game and the various locations were all worked out long ago, so even though they can make the game look like GameCube games are supposed to look, can they increase the size of the quests?

This is the way I see it:

Adventure games on the SNES were the size of a room,
similar games on the N64 were the size of a house,
similar Gamecube games should be the size of the whole street.

But if a game that's designed to play on the N64, is moved across to the GCN, surely it won't be as large a quest as I'd hope for.

I'm sure they can probably add extra locations to the game map, and throw in a few extra side quests, but they won't be as well worked through as the ones that have been thought through and planned out over a number of years.

I really do believe that it would have been a stunning game for the N64, and it probably wouldn't have reached the audience that it deserved to, I just hope that the GameCube games that were always meant for the GameCube don't overshadow it.
Thu 01/03/01 at 13:23
What on Earth are you talking about? Are you saying that Games on the Nintendo 64 are not big enough for you? Even though we've seen collosal adventures on the console since its very launch including Mario 64 and both Zelda games to name but a tiny tiny few?

This is the first time that i've heard any sane person associate the quality of a game with the power/capacity behind the machine it is running on. A good game is a good game - no matter if it's running on a Game Boy Color with little or no storage space, or a Dreamcast with over a gigabyte of room to store textures etc. I can point to several examples of how GBC games are massively bigger and more involving than some Dreamcast titles.

The point i'm making is this: Imagine if we had never seen Zelda on the N64, and instead Nintendo were reserving it for release on the GameCube. If they released it with EXACTLY the same gameplay as Ocarina of Time (but with enhanced graphics, sound etc.) with EXACTLY the same level design and 'size'. would you be complaining?

I think not.

If Dinosaur Planet is good as an N64 game, i think its safe to say that it will STILL be good, if not better on the 'Cube. Making it 'bigger' for the sake of making it 'bigger' could even spoil things.
Thu 01/03/01 at 13:39
Regular
"not dead"
It's what I've come to expect from a next generation console.

Vast improvements.

The storage medium used on the GameCube is much larger than the N64 cartridges.

I think it's a waste of this space to add a bunch of FMV and let you change the colour of the lead characters clothes.

I'd rather see it used to add side-quests to help develop the characters. This way the game can still be completed by younger gamers, and novices, but there would be so much more to keep you interested afterwards, as you go back to tie up all of the many loose ends, (by that I mean more than trying to collect all of the Gold Skulltulas!)

If Ocarina of Time was released on the GameCube, yes it would be an excellent game, but it wasn't, we've seen that now, and we expect more from a next generation console.

Another more useful ways to use the extra storage space would be to improve the AI of the NPCs (Arificial Intelligence of the Non-Playable Characters).

Zelda was great, but would be better if each NPC didn't say the same thing all of the time, MM went some way to improving this, so the next step up, on the GCN should be to make it even better.

Basically my point is that GCN games should be more than just prettier looking and sounding versions of N64 games.

My fear is that Dinosaur Planet is was already too far into developmentto improve it in worthwhile ways. As a result it may well be overshadowed by other release games, especially if the following all arrive on time:

A Mario game (Luigi's Mansion?)
Metriod
Retro RPG
Perfect Dark 2

Bigger storage medium doesn't make better games, but it damn well should do!
Thu 01/03/01 at 18:58
Regular
Calm it Rare if it is true it is to be a Gamecube game then they will make the game bigger they now have longer to make the game and i'll bet it'll take around half a year into the GC's life befor release trust me if it needs to be changed they'll take it off the release list untill it reaches an excellent standard take conker it was taken of the release list only to return radically differen't. More importantly DP is a huge game (512 mbit biggest cart since Resident Evil and that was because of FMV) and have you seen it i couldn't believe it was a 64 game and even slight improvement would shock me.

Anyway with all these late 64 games switching console's The gamecube will have a huge catalogue of games oh joy.
Thu 01/03/01 at 21:56
Regular
Dino planet will be a release game... that's the troubling part.

Let's all wait for E3... shall we?

Or at least until the end of this month... trust me on this... expect stuff...
Fri 02/03/01 at 06:30
I *always* expect stuff...It's the matter of that stuff being any good that tends to aggravate me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.