GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Faction Guerilla - PS3/360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Red Faction: Guerrilla'.
Sun 14/06/09 at 22:43
Regular
"Braaains"
Red Faction: Guerilla is a great multiplayer game. It's not unlike Halo, featuring as it does several large open levels, each filled with weapons and power-ups. However, Red Faction: Guerilla's gimmick is that every structure within these levels can be destroyed. Got a problem with someone sniping at you from on high? Get someone in close, and they can smash at the base of the tower with their hammer till it collapses. Some of the game modes actually rely on you defending or smashing certain objectives, which makes a change from just capturing a flag. Throw in a robust game browser that makes it easy to find games of a particular type, and you're in for a real treat.

So what's the problem? The problem is that RFG's single-player component is, by contrast, pretty poor. The story's rubbish, the characters and flat and lifeless and the gameplay itself leaves something to be desired. The game tries to be Grand Theft Auto: Mars - since it takes place on that planet - but fails. The missions are extremely repetitive indeed, so that even when you've reached the third area in the game, you're still undertaking the same boring errors. You know the type of thing - destroy this building, protect this other building, blow up this target, and so forth.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if RFG's single-player component was added as an afterthought, since it's so insubstantial and uninteresting. Which leaves you, the gamer, paying forty pounds for what is basically a multiplayer only game. And that's the rub - this doesn't justify a purchase at that price. When Red Faction Guerilla comes down to twenty pounds or so - and it will - then you should snap it up, if you're looking for a genuinely entertaining multiplayer game. If, on the other hand, you want a great sandbox game, then Saints Row 2, also from the makers of Red Faction Guerilla, is a better option.
Sun 17/11/13 at 22:00
I acquired this awesome game from a friend and have played it a few times. Is it just me or does the game have a feel about it that matches Ratchet & Clanks 2&3? Collecting treasure for weapons/upgrades and mining crystals?

Never the less I think the whole game is AWESOME. I can see why some guys wouldn't like it, but the whole open world is great. I have the PC version btw.

Never tried the online multiplayer so cannot comment on it.

Some of the missions are decidedly hard (even in easy!)but are fun all the same. This games surpasses the previous games. Being able to use a gamepad is also a big bonus especially on the pc.

I was disappointed with the fourth installment. I didn't like the constant underground feel of it mixed in with a bit of half life.
Mon 15/06/09 at 09:29
"possibly impossible"
I'm quite enjoying the single player of Red Faction. But, like with Bionic Commando, it's the multiplayer that really wins out.

Nice little review though, sums up the main points well.
Sun 14/06/09 at 22:43
Regular
"Braaains"
Red Faction: Guerilla is a great multiplayer game. It's not unlike Halo, featuring as it does several large open levels, each filled with weapons and power-ups. However, Red Faction: Guerilla's gimmick is that every structure within these levels can be destroyed. Got a problem with someone sniping at you from on high? Get someone in close, and they can smash at the base of the tower with their hammer till it collapses. Some of the game modes actually rely on you defending or smashing certain objectives, which makes a change from just capturing a flag. Throw in a robust game browser that makes it easy to find games of a particular type, and you're in for a real treat.

So what's the problem? The problem is that RFG's single-player component is, by contrast, pretty poor. The story's rubbish, the characters and flat and lifeless and the gameplay itself leaves something to be desired. The game tries to be Grand Theft Auto: Mars - since it takes place on that planet - but fails. The missions are extremely repetitive indeed, so that even when you've reached the third area in the game, you're still undertaking the same boring errors. You know the type of thing - destroy this building, protect this other building, blow up this target, and so forth.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if RFG's single-player component was added as an afterthought, since it's so insubstantial and uninteresting. Which leaves you, the gamer, paying forty pounds for what is basically a multiplayer only game. And that's the rub - this doesn't justify a purchase at that price. When Red Faction Guerilla comes down to twenty pounds or so - and it will - then you should snap it up, if you're looking for a genuinely entertaining multiplayer game. If, on the other hand, you want a great sandbox game, then Saints Row 2, also from the makers of Red Faction Guerilla, is a better option.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.