GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh Dear."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/09/03 at 19:58
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Quote from AOL news:

Volcano Threatens Life on Earth

"A SUPERVOLCANO simmering beneath one of the planet's areas of outstanding natural beauty has been branded a threat to mankind.

The massive explosive force lies beneath America's Yellowstone National Park - and scientists believe it is ready to erupt.

The volcano is so huge that when it does blow all life will be extinguished within a 300-mile radius, leaving vast swathes of the US devastated.

Thousands of tons of ash and sulphur dioxide will be thrown up into the atmosphere causing acid rain, blocking out sunlight and plunging the world into a bleak frozen era that will threaten all life on earth.

And scientists are warning the 'extinction-level event' is long overdue.

Professor Bill McGuire, of the Benfield Greig Hazard Research Centre, at University College, in London, said: "The Yellowstone supervolcano has been on a regular eruption cycle of 600,000 years.

"The last eruption was 640,000 years ago, so the next is long overdue."

US geologists have discovered a bulge beneath Yellowstone Lake which is 2,000 feet long and has forced the lake bed to rise by 100 feet.

Part of the park has been closed to visitors as ground temperatures have also soared - sparking fears the volcano is set to blow.

Liz Morgan, one of the geologists monitoring the site, said: "The inflated plain is a potential and serious hazard and possible precursor to a large hydrothermal explosion."

What do you make of this? An event that could occur, or hype?
Fri 12/09/03 at 02:52
Regular
What we need is a nuclear bunker with power and supplies to last for a few hundred years, while the smoke and stuff dies down.

*Starts digging*
Fri 12/09/03 at 00:16
Regular
Maybe not. This site sounds hopefull if its true.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/new.html
Thu 11/09/03 at 23:55
Regular
"es argh"
So they have no idea when it's gonna go.

*Is worried*

:S
Thu 11/09/03 at 22:15
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I remember hearing about this a couple of years ago.

They said then that it wasn't set to go off for another 160,000 years approximately.

Hope they're right.
Thu 11/09/03 at 21:10
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Poor beggar...
Thu 11/09/03 at 20:41
"possibly impossible"
When Scientists say that something will happen 'soon' it usually turns out a few days later to mean 'in the next 20,000 years.

So that's my great, great,great,great grandson (or 2) done for then...
Wed 10/09/03 at 23:47
Regular
Couple of years ago they said it wouldn't go for at least 100,000 - 1,000,000 years but that it would be catastrophic and would devastate life on earth

found this on volcano news site about recent geothermal activity

USA - Yellowstone ( Wyoming)

September 4th, 2003

As of the 4th of September, the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory has reported that during the month of August 2003, 101 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone region. The largest shock to occur during this report period was a magnitude 4.3 earthquake on August 21st at 0746 UTC, located about 23.3 miles south southeast of West Thumb, Wyoming and 9 miles southeast of the south entrance to Yellowstone National Park. In response to notably increased heat and steam emissions in parts of Norris Geyser Basin, the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory will deploy a temporary network of seismographs, Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers, and temperature loggers. The temporal deployment is intended to document chemical and physical signals that accompany this increased activity, to identify the underground locations of hydrothermal steam sources and the relationship of the Norris geyser basin to the background general seismicity, and crustal deformation of the Yellowstone caldera. It may also detect any precursory signals to geyser eruptions and hydrothermal explosions. The colour code at Yellowstone is currently at GREEN
Wed 10/09/03 at 21:06
Regular
"That's right!"
Quazi wrote:
> *wow* wat a shame the USA's gonna be blown to pieces
>
> Such a loss

--------

We'll die too... Even if we DID survive, without America the entire world economy would collapse, making the world a crap place to live in. And the looters would steal your telly.

What I'm worried about is... they haven't said how they're gonna fix it! They must have a plan! Get Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck if need be, but do SOMETHING!
Wed 10/09/03 at 21:05
Regular
I already watched a documentary on that. if it goes we'll all die. it'll be alright ..
Wed 10/09/03 at 20:40
Regular
*wow* wat a shame the USA's gonna be blown to pieces

Such a loss

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.